[NL2-NL10] NL10 Possible River bluff catcher vs Aggressive OP

• Deomedes
      Deomedes
      Bronze
      Villain on 918 hands has VPIP 21 / PFR 18,5 / TAF 8,3 / TAFq 65% is able to multi-barrel bluff when senses weakness , especially on turn scare cards where he almlost feels compelled to bet .

On the turn i knew his range was polarized but i couldn't decide to which side it was leaning since he raised from UTG. I also spent more than usual time thinking of it and he might sensed weakness.

More precisely his flop AF is 11 and his turn AF 8 and WTSD is 29. Can a call here be profitable in the long run vs an exceptional player for these stakes ?

PS as you can see i admire his game and to add further he have some aggressive history vs each other. Another amazing stat ,though irrelevant, is that he cold calls preflop 5%!

PartyGaming - $0.10 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 6 players
      Hand converted by PokerTracker 3

MP: $9.70
      CO: $5.85
      Hero (BTN): $10.00
      SB: $17.85
      BB: $10.60
      UTG: $23.79

SB posts SB $0.05, BB posts BB $0.10

Pre Flop: ($0.15) Hero has 9d 8d

UTG raises to $0.40, fold, fold, Hero calls $0.40, fold, fold

Flop: ($0.95, 2 players) 6h 2s 5c
      UTG bets $0.60, Hero calls $0.60

Turn: ($2.15, 2 players) Kd
      UTG bets $1.50, Hero calls $1.50

River: ($5.15, 2 players) 9s
      UTG bets $3.60,
      Hero calls $3.60
      UTG shows Ac Jh (High Card, Ace) (Pre 58%, Flop 63%, Turn 77%) Hero shows 9d 8d (One Pair, Nines) (Pre 42%, Flop 37%, Turn 23%) Hero wins $11.74
  • 3 replies
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello Deomedes,

Why would his range be polarized there? Kinda worst play you could ever pick there. There ain't many worse hands which are worse, even the King could complete his UTG range. Therefore really bad play in vacuum. Even playing it aggressively on the flop with the GS is much better than your play.

Nor the calling preflop isn't very good if you don't have an idea how to play in those situations. What do you think he has on the river? :D You didn't even post any stats about his CB.

Best Regards.
    • Deomedes
      Deomedes
      Bronze
      The calling preflop actually i thought it too, it was really loose and bad vs that aggressive opponent because i have to know that he will put so much pressure against me and i will hardly ever fold anything to make the call profitable.

So i got stuck postflop. He cbets 78% on the flop (85% OOP)so i call to float and then a King comes. Why? ;(

I know he has the King in his UTG raise and that even if he hasn't got the King he will bet almost 100% . That's the thing, i have that read that he will bet anyways and i begin to level myself. That's the time i have to say "ok, another time" and fold.

When I called i count 9 and 7 as outs because i knew that i was only beating a bluff and that i was facing the only guy who is not a maniac and can pull out a play like that. Even then the call is bad i know. :(

On the river a 9 comes and I make my planned call.

Actually, now i think of it, i would folded it preflop or on the turn if I had decide to play the hand. On the flop i would have called again because he cbets the turn 33% and that is an exploitable gap, i think.

All in all, I think handle my acurrate reads the wrong way. Seeing the broader picture i was only playing two tables that day and confusment always prevails when i do because i begin levelling myself and forget about abc poker. When i do not get much action I start remembering anything i have read at times and i end up being more like a fish with intellectual and fancy reasonings. Any advise on that?
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      My advice is try to play more tables then if you are starting to play fancy. Or either just try always, ALWAYS remind yourself about what you are doing on the table. Playing spewy wont earn you more money, more rather make you lose a lot money.