MP1: $65.26 (130.5 bb)
      MP2: $18.34 (36.7 bb)
      Hero (MP3): $64.21 (128.4 bb)
      CO: $54.63 (109.3 bb)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with A K
      2 folds, MP1 raises to $1.75, MP2 folds, Hero calls $1.75, 3 folds

Flop: ($4) A K 5 (2 players)
      MP1 bets $3, Hero raises to $10, MP1 raises to $30, Hero folds

Villain is very good reg, big winner at NL50-100.
      Stats: VPIP/PFR/3bet/AF 14/11/3/3.4
      This guy doesn't bluff a lot and I had another hand in mind where I tried to bluff catch against him only to loose a big pot. NL100 J8 bluff catch

When he reraises the flop I think I'm at best chopping it at this point. So I decided to give him credit for those times he has me drawing almost dead. I don't really see him doing that with AQ :heart: or something worse. A5 is too small of a range to decide I'm ever ahead...
  • 5 replies
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello circoflax,

Why would you raise the flop in first place then? I don't really get why people turn their strong hands into bluff? Call then the flop and reevaluate the turn and most likely I'd Raise or dependent on his sizing Call it there.

Best Regards.
    • circoflax
      circoflax
      Bronze
      So you think it's better to call 3 streets if no heart comes? Isn't it to weak to just call and let him catch in those cases when he has 1 heart? What if he has something random and the fourth heart comes on the turn, he can run a really nice bluff there.

I raised because I may get called by Ax with one heart, so it's just for value. Maybe I can get him to fold AK if he's thinking the way I think. I really didn't expect him to raise back right away, and with that amount he's clearly commited so I don't think I'm ever ahead...

Bottom line, are you saying one should only raise-fold with bluffs?
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Originally posted by circoflax
      So you think it's better to call 3 streets if no heart comes? Isn't it to weak to just call and let him catch in those cases when he has 1 heart? What if he has something random and the fourth heart comes on the turn, he can run a really nice bluff there.

I raised because I may get called by Ax with one heart, so it's just for value. Maybe I can get him to fold AK if he's thinking the way I think. I really didn't expect him to raise back right away, and with that amount he's clearly commited so I don't think I'm ever ahead...

Bottom line, are you saying one should only raise-fold with bluffs?
      Well, it doesn't really make sense to Raise with 2pairs there like this and then even fold. If we raise then it means we doing it for value. The guy is never going to Call you unless he has just a draw but this board is more towards him having pair+draw or something similar.

He is more inclined to shove with Ax and having in it.

I am not talking about calling all 3 streets. Mainly would base on his actions and the cards which come. And why would it weak? Raise/Folding is rather kinda stupid.
    • circoflax
      circoflax
      Bronze
      I'm most likely rasing/broke with top 2 against very aggressive guys in this spot. But I know this reg and I don't think he's commiting himself like that if he has just TP+draw. I raised hoping to get called by a pair + draw. He could be betting there with pretty much anything that has showdown value, so I thought it would be bad to just call and let him catch for free, cause I'm folding or checking behind if the turn or river is a :heart:

I played a similar hand the same session, where a very similar type of player raised from EP, i had AKo and called IP, flop was AKx rainbow, turn x, river x, no straights or flushes and he bet all three streets. I kept calling figuring he may bet AQ for value and check-call small on the river. On the river the pot was 65BB, he had 65BB left and shoved, so my reasoning was the same, either a bluff or I'm splitting at best, so I folded.

So what is the correct way to play when you flop that and get so much action? :f_confused:
      If I raise and the player is good and has a good perception of what I am doing, he will never call with worse and reraise with better(or equal). If I just keep calling, I may get to that ugly river spot where I am mostly calling for a split.
    • fortunewheel
      fortunewheel
      Bronze
      Besides for the 1 tone board there isn't much to be afraid of except hearts so i agree to go into passive calling mode and manipulate his range into worse Ax with a heart betting. If you think he doesn't tripple barrel bluffs alot then you could find a hero fold on the river. It should be a pretty scary spot for him to put a big bet out there with like AxQh and missed hearts. Especially cuz he has reasonable SD value vs AJ,AT after 2 bets.

With your description of villain i don't see a good reason to raise the flop. You described him as a guy who isn't bluffing alot so why not let him bet and chase hearts? IF he has A5 and no hearts come out he is not going to valuetown himself with a 3rd ( big) bet. If he has a set 555 he might lead 3 streets or with a flopped flush. In which case you fold river , right? Just feels like you are ovberprotecting your hand against the type of villain you described. And just think of the sweet cooler situations that can happen when an ace or king turns/rivers