UTG+1 ($20.30)
      CO ($20.71)
      BTN ($21.92)

Dealt to Hero 9:club: T:heart:

fold, fold, fold, BTN raises to $0.40, fold, Hero calls $0.20

FLOP ($0.90) J:spade: 5:club: 9:spade:

Hero bets $0.60, BTN raises to $2.70, Hero folds

BTN wins $2

He is cbeting not that much and the board is drawy, so I choose to donk bet. Is it ok? The problem is he might be tricky and raise me representing draw and Jx
  • 7 replies
    • duder1n0
      duder1n0
      Gold
      I dont like the call preflop. He has stolen a lot from BU so far, but being oop against him with a weak offsuit hand without the initiative is not the best idea.

Also dont like the flop donkbet. What's your purpose with it?
      If calling preflop, I'd just check flop, we have 2nd pair, there's no point in turning it into a bluff, especially if he's capable of rebluffing...
      So I'd ch/call at least flop, reevaluate turn, maybe let him bluff, and try to reach showdown.
    • SPeedFANat1c
      SPeedFANat1c
      Gold
      but we are getting such good odds preflop. VS 93% range we have 45% equity, in a vacuum for this call to be breakeven we need 22% equity (0.2/0.9). This hand has some high car value vs his wide range and some conectivity.

So I'd ch/call at least flop, reevaluate turn, maybe let him bluff, and try to reach showdown.

this sounds reasonable, but the problem is to get to that showdwon with pair of nines and still be ahead. He might barrel lot of turns - when there is overcard, or if turns gets checked, then he might barrel overcard river, plus he also might have FD and can easily hit.

So trying to get to the showdown rigth from flop with this hand also might be not the best idea. If we would know that he cbets flop and gives up later streets, then yeah, but if he barrels A or another overcard turn, then we cannont call.
    • duder1n0
      duder1n0
      Gold
      Originally posted by SPeedFANat1c
      but we are getting such good odds preflop.
      Odds are good, but all other factors are against the call, it will be tough to play oop even if we hit something (as can be seen from the actual hand :) ) So I'd still go with preflop fold.

this sounds reasonable, but the problem is to get to that showdwon with pair of nines and still be ahead. He might barrel lot of turns - when there is overcard, or if turns gets checked, then he might barrel overcard river, plus he also might have FD and can easily hit.

So trying to get to the showdown rigth from flop with this hand also might be not the best idea. If we would know that he cbets flop and gives up later streets, then yeah, but if he barrels A or another overcard turn, then we cannont call.
      I agree, there are problems. :)
      But what is the donkbet for? Gaining information, figuring out where we stand, etc? If raised, just fold? If he calls flop, what's the plan on the turn?
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello SPeedFANat1c,

Don't get the donk at all there, quite obvious that such a guy will very often raise the donk. Especially as you even pointed out with stats. Check the flop and Check/Call it and reevaluate the further actions instead.

Best Regards.
    • SPeedFANat1c
      SPeedFANat1c
      Gold
      Originally posted by veriz
      Hello SPeedFANat1c,

Don't get the donk at all there, quite obvious that such a guy will very often raise the donk. Especially as you even pointed out with stats. Check the flop and Check/Call it and reevaluate the further actions instead.

Best Regards.
      wouldn't it be better to c/r flop then instead of c/c for the reason that with pair of 99 its hard to get to a showdown and at the same time be ahead? I know we are not getting much value with a c/r, maybe FDs would call.

I saw in one video that vs such minraises hero defends with wide range and c/r boards with draws and with made hand also c/r for the same reason that its hard to get to the showdown and be winning.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Originally posted by veriz
      Hello SPeedFANat1c,

Best Regards.
      wouldn't it be better to c/r flop then instead of c/c for the reason that with pair of 99 its hard to get to a showdown and at the same time be ahead? I know we are not getting much value with a c/r, maybe FDs would call.

I saw in one video that vs such minraises hero defends with wide range and c/r boards with draws and with made hand also c/r for the same reason that its hard to get to the showdown and be winning.
      Why would you Check/Raise or Check/Call vs a guy who has CB frequency so far max 50%? Obviously he is cbetting only for value.
    • SPeedFANat1c
      SPeedFANat1c
      Gold
      Why would you Check/Raise or Check/Call vs a guy who has CB frequency so far max 50%? Obviously he is cbetting only for value.

but he steals from BTN 93%, I think this can still be bluff. Maybe you did not pay attetntion to BTN steal?