[NL2-NL10] NL4 FR How to play with a big hand on a scary board?

• Phoenix2104
      Phoenix2104
      Bronze
      Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.02/$0.04 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)
      Known players:
      MP2:
      $1.30
      MP3 (Hero):
      $0.90
      CO:
      $4.00
      BU:
      $3.24
      SB:
      $2.91
      BB:
      $0.85
      UTG1:
      $3.14
      UTG2:
      $4.01
      MP1:
      $3.76

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with 9, 9.
      2 folds, MP1 calls $0.04, MP2 folds, Hero calls $0.04, 3 folds, BB checks.

OK, I could have raised pre-flop.

Flop: ($0.14) T, 8, 9 (3 players)
      BB checks, MP1 bets $0.04, Hero raises to $0.16, BB folds, MP1 calls $0.12.

His bet looked like a block-bet to me, so I put him on a draw of some kind.

Turn: ($0.46) 4 (2 players)
      MP1 checks, Hero raises to $0.70(All-In), MP1 calls $0.70.

I figured if he's chasing something and hits it on the river I would have to call anyway, but if he doesn't, he wouldn't put more money to the pot. So I decided to go all-in here.

River: ($1.86) 6 (2 players)

Final Pot: $1.86.

Results follow:

Hero shows three of a kind, nines(9s 9h).

MP1 shows a straight, queen high(Js Qs).

MP1 wins with a straight, queen high(Js Qs).

The question is how do you play on a board like this, where the opponent could easily be chasing something or have a hand that you beat (like two pairs or TPGK or even a smaller set), but it's also possible to have something that beats you?
      Thanks.
  • 3 replies
    • Gerv
      Gerv
      Bronze
      Hello,

No you should have raised preflop, 99 plays terribly in a multiway pot and especially when this multiway pot is smaller than a heads up raised pot. I do not understand your calling habits as it yields you less profit in the long term

I think he honestly folds all draws on the Turn so I just bet 40cents again, actually you make it awkward for yourself by raising small on the Flop, you have to think ahead of what is the Pot going to be on the Turn?. If you raise to 28-30cents, you come close to a potsized shove

Best regards,
      Gerv
    • Phoenix2104
      Phoenix2104
      Bronze
      OK, I should have raised pre-flop, I'm working on it the last few days (I have to say it has increased my variance though).
      Now, about post-flop play. For some reason I was under the impression that a "proper" bet in situations like this is around pot-size (taking into account the 3X-4X initial bet rule). You seem to propose to bet in a way that we get all of our stack in until the turn, even if that means a huge over-bet at the flop. Is this correct?
      Should we do this every time we think we have a strong hand or only at draw-heavy boards?
    • Gerv
      Gerv
      Bronze
      My sizing on the Turn is pure meant for its purpose: preventing that draws will fold & keeping worser hands in there

I would mostly think about what you want to achieve when you bet. Like for value but also keeping his range & the board in mind so that you do not isolate yourself against only better. It's like thin valuebetting