Is it possible?

• Tiltmeifucan
      Tiltmeifucan
      Bronze
      Hey guys.

I've been wondering is it possible to play all session +$. :f_biggrin:

Considering few things: :f_grin:

You play as long as needed to get back to break even.
      Also you don't change your playing style no matter how the bad beats come.

I thought you should be able to always end up in profit no matter how bad are you running.

Why i ask this, because once i had really bad session and me and my friend we were arguing all the time. He thinks that if you are running bad you should quit, because you will never get back what you lost and will lose even more, and eventualy lose all your br.

But my 2 cents is that if you would play long enough and stay exatly the same you should be able to get back to profit. If you have br to cover badbeats.

In theory it must be impossible to lose all your br because you have a bad day right... :D

Poker is game of skill and if your edge is higher than rake you are winning player and if you manage your money right, you can win, so once it for all i will prove my buddy he is wrong muhahah :D :s_evil:

What do you think guys, have you ever think about this stuff?
  • 23 replies
    • Krishjanis
      Krishjanis
      Bronze
      If you have a winning strategy and you are a robot then you probably won't go broke.
      But the thing is that your mind will not be able to take the bad beats so after a while you will start to play bad so you need to be a robot to avoid that.
      Also you need a winning strategy because if you don't have one you will slowly be losing money, but the rules say that you have to play until in profit so you never stop playing because you are losing so what will happen is that you will slowly bleed money until you are broke, it might take a really long time but it will happen.
      Anyway that's my take on it.
    • Tiltmeifucan
      Tiltmeifucan
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Krishjanis
      If you have a winning strategy and you are a robot then you probably won't go broke.
      But the thing is that your mind will not be able to take the bad beats so after a while you will start to play bad so you need to be a robot to avoid that.
      Also you need a winning strategy because if you don't have one you will slowly be losing money, but the rules say that you have to play until in profit so you never stop playing because you are losing so what will happen is that you will slowly bleed money until you are broke, it might take a really long time but it will happen.
      Anyway that's my take on it.
      It might be true, but we can never be sure, it could be something like this: Sometimes you would go back to profit and sometimes not, it would depend on lot of thing i guess.
    • Tomaloc
      Tomaloc
      Bronze
      not ALL sessions considering human standards, but you can have a pretty nice session % winrate. :D

i usually "chase losing sessions" up to -3BI or feelbad, winning sessions are continued randomly.
      this month i've won 80% out of 58 sessions :D

worst sessions were -255bb, -240bb and -155bb.
      best sessions were +440bb, +435bb and +364bb.

rungood much? :D
    • Tiltmeifucan
      Tiltmeifucan
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Tomaloc
      not ALL sessions considering human standards, but you can have a pretty nice session % winrate. :D

i usually "chase losing sessions" up to -3BI or feelbad, winning sessions are continued randomly.
      this month i've won 80% out of 58 sessions :D

worst sessions were -255bb, -240bb and -155bb.
      best sessions were +440bb, +435bb and +364bb.

rungood much? :D
      Maybe a little, but i know how hard you work on your game it's just the reward for your hard work ;)
    • Jackalof
      Jackalof
      Bronze
      Poker is just a one long session. Just think about it.

Ofc it's possible. In theory it's possible, therefore it's possible :f_biggrin:

Also what exactly is 'playing long enough'. Imagine you lose 15 AI in a row (easily possible, look up "Math" and related topics in Wikipedia). So now you grind 56 hrs to win it back, without a break? Yea, that won't affect your game, Phil Laak.
    • Tiltmeifucan
      Tiltmeifucan
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Jackalof
      Poker is just a one long session. Just think about it.

Ofc it's possible. In theory it's possible, therefore it's possible :f_biggrin:

Also what exactly is 'playing long enough'. Imagine you lose 15 AI in a row (easily possible, look up "Math" and related topics in Wikipedia). So now you grind 56 hrs to win it back, without a break? Yea, that won't affect your game, Phil Laak.
      Hmm.. how long do you think is good time to play 1hr - 2hr?

How long breaks do you suggest?

Does the same applies to winning session's? I heard from Pro's to never leave when you are running hot...
    • StrategyLofthouse
      StrategyLofthouse
      Bronze
      If you are a skillful winning player it means that you will make a profit in the long term.
      It doesn't mean you will make a profit in every session.

If you are losing because of variance then it would be wrong to play many extra hours in the same session to try and turn it into a winning session. Tiredness affects your decision making. It is better to end the session before you become too tired.
    • Schnitzelfisch
      Schnitzelfisch
      Bronze
      There is no such thing as running hot or bad in the presence, it's only an interpretation of the past results.

15-20min break every 90-120 mins works good.

Another option is to take a 2-3 min break every 25-30 mins, repeat 3-4 times, then take a bigger break.
    • Arron63
      Arron63
      Bronze
      Possible- Yes

Probable- No

Would be nice though, ending each session with a profit :s_biggrin:
    • CRI4BRA
      CRI4BRA
      Bronze
      try researching the term

results oriented in poker

you will see that what you are trying to achieve is a losing strategy in itself

keep pushing the idea in your head, eventually you'll become master at your strategy, i dont doubt it
    • Tiltmeifucan
      Tiltmeifucan
      Bronze
      Originally posted by CRI4BRA
      try researching the term

results oriented in poker

you will see that what you are trying to achieve is a losing strategy in itself

keep pushing the idea in your head, eventually you'll become master at your strategy, i dont doubt it
      I should have added that i don't chase losses, if i do or did something wrong in the past it was bad BRM.

I was just wondering could it be possible? From what i see it is possible just theoretically.
    • Tiltmeifucan
      Tiltmeifucan
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Schnitzelfisch
      There is no such thing as running hot or bad in the presence, it's only an interpretation of the past results.

Another option is to take a 2-3 min break every 25-30 mins, repeat 3-4 times, then take a bigger break.
      2-3 minute break do really change something? I understand twenty minute break, that's something you can go out sit in fresh air and drink coffe or tea that could make you feel better, but what could you possibly do in two minutes.
    • eXtremeACE
      eXtremeACE
      Bronze
      Hey, that's what I'm doing right now, don't copy me! :D I try to end every single day positive, pretty stupid I know, but I am happy as long as it works out! :D

• YohanN7
      YohanN7
      Bronze
      There is a name for the thing. Look up Super System II, Mike Caro's section. It's called "Manufacturing Winning Streaks". It's a bad strategy because it's a waste of your time if you are a winning player. It'a leak in your approach to poker. [Hint: Switch table if your opponents are decent.]

/Johan = :f_confused:
    • PoincaresConjecture
      PoincaresConjecture
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Tiltmeifucan
      Hey guys.

I've been wondering is it possible to play all session +$. :f_biggrin:

Considering few things: :f_grin:

You play as long as needed to get back to break even.
      Also you don't change your playing style no matter how the bad beats come.

I thought you should be able to always end up in profit no matter how bad are you running.

Why i ask this, because once i had really bad session and me and my friend we were arguing all the time. He thinks that if you are running bad you should quit, because you will never get back what you lost and will lose even more, and eventualy lose all your br.

But my 2 cents is that if you would play long enough and stay exatly the same you should be able to get back to profit. If you have br to cover badbeats.

conisdering u can break even for 100k hands, u might have to keep playing for a while...

In theory it must be impossible to lose all your br because you have a bad day right... :D

Poker is game of skill and if your edge is higher than rake you are winning player and if you manage your money right, you can win, so once it for all i will prove my buddy he is wrong muhahah :D :s_evil:

What do you think guys, have you ever think about this stuff?
    • Tiltmeifucan
      Tiltmeifucan
      Bronze
      Originally posted by eXtremeACE
      Hey, that's what I'm doing right now, don't copy me! :D I try to end every single day positive, pretty stupid I know, but I am happy as long as it works out! :D

Better stop doing this, while you are in profit, could end pretty bad. It could end really bad if you go on huge tilt, and can't stop and go higher in limits and lose your roll. This strategy is way too dangerous and unprofitable to be done! And you don't really know how much you will need next time to get back in profit.
    • Schnitzelfisch
      Schnitzelfisch
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Tiltmeifucan
      Originally posted by Schnitzelfisch

2-3 minute break do really change something? I understand twenty minute break, that's something you can go out sit in fresh air and drink coffe or tea that could make you feel better, but what could you possibly do in two minutes.
      It changes a lot. You can descreen, do some pushups, juggle a bit, get some food/water... Helps you get focus and concentration back.

The idea is that it's way easier to get yourself to start a 25 min session than a 90-120 min one.

You can research the subject more in depth if interested, it's called the "pommodoro technique". Works great for cash games.
    • Jackalof
      Jackalof
      Bronze
      You can descreen, do some pushups, juggle a bit, get some food/water... Helps you get focus and concentration back.

This is a must for me :(
    • northernplan
      northernplan
      Bronze
      As was said previous it is possible, but highly improbable.

Crunching the numbers under your conditions as long as it wasn't a flaw in your play that led to the loss it could be done. The problem is we are human (Well most of us) and so it is probable you will be effected by the losses at some point, this will effect your play and so the strategy wont work and the player will lose money. If you had a computer programmed to play a strategy that over time would show a profit over time the strategy would work.

That then brings us to a point that I hear a lot of people saying. If you play well over time you will make a profit over time. This brings us to the question why play until you are in profit every time when it is likely to lead to tilt and a smaller profit over time compared to the good player that doesn't chase a profit.

Nic