Goal of an SSS player..

• midgetjay
      midgetjay
      Bronze
      I've been grinding it out for a while now trying to build a decent bankroll to begin playing Big Stack Strategy, but I'm starting to fall victim to the "Short Stack Strategy doesn't work" syndrome. So I've set a goal for myself to play 2,000 hands a week and to post back my results every week. I'm going to play strictly 100% by the SSS guidelines posted in all of the articles here. My goal is to play each hand correctly and to play good poker.

I won't even peek at my bankroll until I come back here to post to you guys, he he. :D I know some of you are saying, "Tsk, tsk, that's bad bankroll management.." Well, if I have a bad run, there's nothing that I can do about it; I can't drop to lower limits, $0.05/0.10 are the lowest stakes here at FTP. Not much else I can do. I'll post questionable hands after my sessions and I'll update you guys next week!
  • 26 replies
    • tehChipDonk
      tehChipDonk
      Bronze
      start multi-tabling, since you are folding most of the time on sss, might as well pop up more tables to increase your chance of being delt monsters...
    • Velak
      Velak
      Bronze
      The SSS does work.. slowly, but surely. I play over 2000 hands per day (multitabling, of course) and of course you have good days and bad days, but I have not yet even come close to thinking about reloading.

Just be sure you're actually following the strategy. I think some of the problems/mistakes people make are falling in love with their good hands, when they need to dump them.

For example, you pick up KK or QQ, and on the flop an ace comes, and your opponent bets out before you get a chance to act. You now have a trash hand. dump it. If you're the first to act, go ahead and make that continuation bet.. it will often take the pot.

I've been on many tables where a shortstacked player (who may or may not actually know what they're doing) just pushes with their hand, thinking they'll win, and sure enough, some nipplehead who was holding some ace-rag ends up beating them.

They could have easily gotten away from the hand, but they lose their entire stack.

You got dealt AK? nice hand! But if you don't connect on the flop.. it's a trash hand. If your opponent bets out.. you have to dump it. Don't be afraid to let go.. don't chase hands.

Remember that great hand you had pre-flop, may have become trash after the flop. Throwing more money at it won't (usually) help. At the micro limits, these guys will pay to go all the way to the river. It's not worth even trying to bluff or anything.

Don't try to outsmart them. In order to outsmart someone.. you have to be playing someone who is actually thinking. These microlimit players, for the most part, are not.

Just play solid poker, and as mentioned, multi-table to cut down on the boredom of waiting for those solid hands. And.. don't tilt when your solid hands get beat. (as I typed this I had AA on one table and KK on another.. as it turns out my AA got beat by KK and my KK got beat by AA. sigh. )

It's just a part of it. If they didn't get lucky from time to time and outdraw your favored hands (and all you play is strong hands with SSS).. then there would be no one for us to play against, since they'd stop playing if they could never win.

Also, if you get solid hand like JJ, QQ, KK etc.. and you're against multiple opponents after the flop, if there's an overcard on the board.. you have to check it down and fold it to a bet. Don't fall in love with these hands.

Play solid, follow the strategy to the letter, I promise it works. (I was skeptical too when I started, but.. it works) When I first started I was making the same mistakes I listed above. But I re-read the articles.. at this point I can probably claim to have them memorized. It works.

The thing is you're playing a very small percentage of your hands. When you DO get a good hand, you can't afford to
      "mess it up". Make sure you're playing them correctly, and the best advice I can give (I know I've said it before) is.. don't be afraid to get away from a hand that you're likely behind in, even if it is KK.

good luck!
    • cannell555
      cannell555
      Bronze
      Originally posted by midgetjay
      I've been grinding it out for a while now trying to build a decent bankroll to begin playing Big Stack Strategy, but I'm starting to fall victim to the "Short Stack Strategy doesn't work" syndrome. So I've set a goal for myself to play 2,000 hands a week and to post back my results every week. I'm going to play strictly 100% by the SSS guidelines posted in all of the articles here. My goal is to play each hand correctly and to play good poker.

I won't even peek at my bankroll until I come back here to post to you guys, he he. :D I know some of you are saying, "Tsk, tsk, that's bad bankroll management.." Well, if I have a bad run, there's nothing that I can do about it; I can't drop to lower limits, $0.05/0.10 are the lowest stakes here at FTP. Not much else I can do. I'll post questionable hands after my sessions and I'll update you guys next week!
      Why? If its a blog, it should be in the blog section.

plus its already been done, and proved that it works. SSS project by a SSS-hater

Also it makes no sense to play them tables on full tilt, i'm pretty sure they are double rake.
    • midgetjay
      midgetjay
      Bronze
      Originally posted by cannell555
      Also it makes no sense to play them tables on full tilt, i'm pretty sure they are double rake.
      Well, what else can I do? How would I be able to shift my bankroll to another site?

And btw, great post Velak! Lot's of useful information in there! The part about bluffing in microlimits was dead on!
    • cannell555
      cannell555
      Bronze
      I dunno what you should do, but many people have stated in the past, that its worthless playing SSS on these tables.
    • midgetjay
      midgetjay
      Bronze
      Really?

**sighs**

I can't move up to BSS yet. I'll think of something hopefully...
    • Drakhor
      Drakhor
      Bronze
      My goal with SSS is to actually break even somehow and clear my PS.com bonuses. :D

If I want to make money, I'll give the BSS a shot.
    • tehChipDonk
      tehChipDonk
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Drakhor
      My goal with SSS is to actually break even somehow and clear my PS.com bonuses. :D

If I want to make money, I'll give the BSS a shot.
      if you break even with sss, then you're gold. increase your stake and number of tables, you'll start to see some profit from all the rakeback you get if you grind 8-15 tables at nl50
    • midgetjay
      midgetjay
      Bronze
      Forget it. I'm through with SSS. Dunno how many hands you're supposed to play, but after a good 10K hands I can see that it is not working for me. Maybe for others, but it clearly is not for me. It has lost me $40 so far and I'm not going to let it take anymore.

After waiting for about 70 hands, you finally catch AQ on the button. Oh look, someone raised in front of you. Now you have to fold it.

30 hands later.

YAY!! Pocket AA's, lemme raise 4BB..

Fold, fold, fold, fold.

Fold.

20 hands later.

KQ in the small blind. Everyone has folded to the button. (thinking: I can finally see a flop... gosh..) Button raises.

**goes to peek at SHC**

@#%$ &@(^ !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Throws away KQ.

That's how it is day in and day out. Maybe SSS works for some of those luckboxes out there. Who knows.
    • hunt32
      hunt32
      Bronze
      with that attitude maybe poker is not for you
    • fordz08
      fordz08
      Bronze
      Maybe not for you sounds harsh but is probably true,you must be patient when playing sss and be able to read the table and how players are playing.if you play exactly to the shc you will go insane unless you are able to multitable which then brings in problem of bad decisions which then looses you money in long run,most tables i can play and be profitable is 3 and im running at about 15BB per 100 hands so is going to take a while to get anywhere.have deposited around $200 dollars of my own money over the last 2 years or so and lost most of it,have only become a winning player in last 2 months so takes a lot of reading and re reading before you get it right especially the bankroll articles very important.take a break and come back later,invest some of your own money and try again.gl.
    • midgetjay
      midgetjay
      Bronze
      Yea Hunt, it isn't. I was already thinking that anyway. After ingraining the articles in my head and sticking to SSS 100%, I still came up short.

So anyways, wish you guys luck with your poker careers! I'm gonna stick to my 9 to 5.
    • Termi8r
      Termi8r
      Bronze
      Sorry but Im all excited that I got Elephant to work. So I plotted my progress playing SSS on Mansion. I've basically played SSS with some leaks and still managed to make a handsome profit! Luckbox duluxe?

[img]C:\SSS graph.png[/img]

[img]C:\stats.png[/img]

Could have made a lot more by sticking to SHC. Sinned by not sticking to BRM strickly and got upswing at the higher limit as well. Furhtermore, I know the sample size is small. Hope it continues!

Cheers and goodluck SSS-ing!
    • slikec
      slikec
      Global
      Well for me SSS works :) After i had one month of break even BSS playing on NL0,01/0,02/ NL0,02/0,04 and NL0,05/0,10 i decided that i have enought of this crazy crapy low limits and try SSS on NL0,10/NL,20. Well i am playing it now 14 days my bankroll went from 275€ to 470€ (yesterday i found some nice fishes and made +40€ :D ). I also made 500SP(which means i produced 125$ rake aswell) and reached 2k SP and waiting PS send me license for elephant so i can post some stats.

SSS is crazy i love it. I have notes on half of players now and i love to see good BSS players have to fold after i raise or go all in and i just know they have medium pocket pairs which they would love to play 1v1 against another BSS but not SSS :D

But jet yesterday one fish really got lucky all 3 times we were both all in grrr and gave money to other players. I lost AKs vs Q10o than AQo vs 107 and last hand JJ vs 1010. But ok another fishes wasn't so lucky especially not three times in row and always at least a bit behind :D

One tip:
      About hand AK or AQ. If you raise preflop as you should and get caller and you don't hit like you have AQ and flop is K106 if you face thinking villian you have to make continuation bet but if you face fish you don't do that they call with lowest pair and you are behind even that :D And make notes on players they really help me since you need to adopt play against LAG or TAG ;)

And ofcourse play lots of tables. I play between 12-15 so that i don't play crash hands ;)
    • Gerv
      Gerv
      Bronze
      Patience is golden :)

SSS works for me, after 4k hands +$40 but sometimes yes I make mistakes due being inpatienced but that should be gone over soon.

I play on 6 tables at once with music for 2 1/2 hours straight
    • tehChipDonk
      tehChipDonk
      Bronze
      yep same, sss works for me, after i dont know how many hands, im up +$50 and +$250 from rakeback, i've played for 30 days now, 15 tabling, since i proved that i can be a break even player, im gonna deposit my own $600 to FT to start the sss nl50 rakeback hunt!!! i hope i dont go on a freakin gettin-bad-beated-streak though...
    • justkyle88
      justkyle88
      Bronze
      what is rakeback? i hear it everywhere and cant understand what it is, how do u gain money from it?
    • tehChipDonk
      tehChipDonk
      Bronze
      Originally posted by justkyle88
      what is rakeback? i hear it everywhere and cant understand what it is, how do u gain money from it?
      rakeback is pretty much the rake you contributed during your poker hands that you receive back every month, let say, you contributed $1 and the rakeback % is at 27, then at the end of the month, you get $0.27 back, thus the rake back
    • justkyle88
      justkyle88
      Bronze
      so for example i played a ring table hand and there was a 1c rake at the end of the hand? i get that back at the end of the month?
      all confusing to me.