[NL2-NL10] Understanding showdown value

• petersveter
      petersveter
      Bronze
      I just read an article about showdown value. They use this hand as an example:

You have 7 :heart: 8 :heart: . You raise to $8 in the cut-off and the big blind calls.

The flop comes 4 :heart: J :club: 3 :club: .

He checks and you c-bet $12. He calls. The turn comes 8 :diamond: and he checks.

What should you do? Should you bet it?

No.Rarely, if ever, is a thinking player going to call with a worse hand.

And he certainly isn't going to fold a better hand.So we check with the intention of seeing a showdown.

I always thought It is fine to bet here. Fish always call with a lot of draws and even stupid gutshots. I would say that 50% of the time they have a draw or some trash, and the other 50 % of the time they have a Jack, two pair, set, over pair, all the things that beat me.

Can you give me a reasonable explanation why it is not profitable to bet the turn, if we are able to get them off their trashy 50 % hands with a 1/2 bet most of the time?

I believe this is a big leak in my game. I still have problems with these situations. I play HU btw.

Thanks a lottt you will save me a lot of moneyy if you will help me :) )
  • 3 replies
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello petersveter,

Welcome to the English NL Hand Evaluation Forum! Hopefully we will see more hands from you in the future. I hope that with our help you can improve your play and as well move up the limits. We will be waiting for the next hands and till that good luck on tables!

Who said it's not profitable to 2nd barrel it? The idea of 2nd barreling is to protect your hand and avoid him taking stabs on the river with some missed draws. Also would be nice if we would understand what exactly you playing. What stacks you have? What limit you playing? Etcetc.

And if we Bet the turn then we should bet it bigger than just 1/2 pot size which will look your hand rather weak.

Best Regards.
    • petersveter
      petersveter
      Bronze
      Hey thanks for the warm welcome.

The example is from a full ring cash game I suppose. The article is here:
      http://www.pokerlistings.com/strategy/playing-hands-with-showdown

I mean it makes some sense to me, but my version also makes sence. So I don't know how to think now. I hear these things a lot, things like "no worse hand is calling us, so there is no point of betting", and things like this.

I play Hyperturbo heads up btw., but I just wanted to understand the concept better. And cash game players are the best pros to help me :D

What do you think? Why do you think they wrote this?

• veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Originally posted by petersveter
      Hey thanks for the warm welcome.

The example is from a full ring cash game I suppose. The article is here:
      http://www.pokerlistings.com/strategy/playing-hands-with-showdown

I mean it makes some sense to me, but my version also makes sence. So I don't know how to think now. I hear these things a lot, things like "no worse hand is calling us, so there is no point of betting", and things like this.

I play Hyperturbo heads up btw., but I just wanted to understand the concept better. And cash game players are the best pros to help me :D

What do you think? Why do you think they wrote this?

Everyone is allowed to write articles, maybe even just a NL2 player. Even some coaches get sometimes wrong but this spot is definitely rather a bet than a Check behind. We don't even know what to do on the river after we Check. He could just bet there with missed FD. :D