bssjonny94

• bssjonny94
      bssjonny94
      Bronze
      Hello I'm Jonny and i'm 18 years-old. I have always enjoyed playing poker against my friends and for play money, and so now i have decided that i would like to see how i do when playing for real money. I'm quite a clever guy when it comes to maths and thinking through something logically and i think that i would be able to pick up the came quite easily (at least i hope)
  • 8 replies
    • bssjonny94
      bssjonny94
      Bronze
      1.) My motivation for playing poker is primarily for fun, but also to begin earning money in the future. The way i see it is - playing for fun is fun, but playing seriously, and therefore winning, is even more fun.

2.) One of my weaknesses is getting into large pots with marginal hands, or making a contibet when i know i probably shouldn't.
      Another weakness is deviating too much from the starting hands chart when im bored and i just want to play a hand.

3.) Playing tight means that you are carefully selecting your starting hands based on your position and the number and type of opponents at the table. You are therefore playing a rather small range of about 10% of the possible starting hands.
      Playing aggressive means that when you enter a hand it is normally done so by raising (apart from exceptions such as when following the call 20 rule). You then, quite often make a contibet on the flop when appropriate. Being aggressive, you may also fire a 2nd and 3rd barrel on the following streets in the right situations.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Welcome to the Course and Best of Luck. Good job! Homework #1 Done!

Most of the weakness you wrote can easily be fixed by posting hands (analyzing your session). We will start writing feedback to your play. Usually negative feedback will put you into thinking phase and trying to fix all those leaks. It's almost the same as you lose money, you will remember it more than winning part. By this situation it's gonna be that negative feedback you gonna remember and try to avoid them next time.

Deviating from SHC is pretty common problem for beginners. The problem becomes clear when you start losing a lot money. It's true that when you getting better and more experienced you can just drop the chart but until that I would try to stick to it. At least until you understand what you are doing and why. Especially preflop.

Tight style is usually called playing selected hands. Like following the Starting Hand Chart. Aggressive should be also pretty clear that already the word says how you should be playing. But the problem playing aggressively is that you have to watch that you don't play too aggressive. Find good spots, find good targets. About The tight-aggressive strategy you can read in this article: "What is the Big Stack Strategy?"

Hopefully you will enjoy the Course.
    • bssjonny94
      bssjonny94
      Bronze
      Question 1: What do you think you could play differently than suggested in the BSS Starting Hands Chart and why?

I would probably raise rather than limp with small pocket pairs. I think on the lower limits its okay, but at higher limits where players are keeping a keener eye on you, they will easily be able to put you on a range.
      I might also avoid playing QQ the same way as KK and AA. I would maybe fold QQ if somebody 4 - bets me after i re-raise (unless their stack is small)

Question 2: Do you have questions about your preflop play? Post your hand for evaluation.

What do i do when somebody 3 bets me when im holding a relatively good hand preflop whilst im in position, and when im out of position.

PokerStars - $0.02 NL - Holdem - 6 players
      Hand converted by PokerTracker 3

CO: $4.92
      BTN: $0.24
      SB: $3.23
      BB: $1.76
      UTG: $2.63
      Hero (MP): $2.90

SB posts SB $0.01, BB posts BB $0.02

Pre Flop: ($0.03) Hero has A:spade: K:spade:

fold, Hero raises to $0.08, CO raises to $0.48, fold, fold, fold, fold

CO wins $0.19

Question 3: What is the equity of AKo against the top 5% range? 5% means 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo.

46.32%
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #2 Done!

Playing PPs can be in long run be very profitable, we could even say that you earn the most money with them (except of course KK/AA strong hands :D ). You can always try out either you play them profitable or not by check the programs either you are doing great on early position with PPs or not and base according to that. Although the problem with playing them, especially from EP if you playing FR is the case that you wont always play them profitable and very low ones I would even advice to fold as 22-55 and raise it up like 66-77+.

It's kinda even a must to play QQ differently than KK/AA. That's so common that new players tend to overplay even AK there. Cause they have seen some coach going broke with AKo and also with JJ/QQ and they think it's correct move. Although it's not. Very often you wont even get decent equity to get profitable in long run.

What do i do when somebody 3 bets me when im holding a relatively good hand preflop whilst im in position, and when im out of position.

That's a good question. :D What's a good hand for you? What stacks we have? What position we have? What position does the guy 3bet us? What kind of dynamics you had? Any information? Any stats? And so on, I could just continue asking you questions. There is no default line to pick, poker isn't that easy. :)

About Question #3:

Equity     Win     Tie
      UTG    46.32%  37.92%   8.41% { AKo }
      UTG+1  53.68%  45.27%   8.41% { 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo }

Hopefully you enjoy the Course so far.
    • bssjonny94
      bssjonny94
      Bronze
      Thank you veriz,

Question 1: You are holding KQ. What is your preflop equity against an opponent who has 33? How does the equity change on this flop: J53?

Preflop equity - 50.60%
      Post flop - 26.46%

Question 2: What would you do in the following hand?
      Players and stacks:
      UTG: $2.00
      UTG+1: $2.08
      MP1: $1.92
      MP2: $1.00
      MP3: $3.06
      CO: (Hero) $2.08
      BU: $2.00
      SB: $2.00
      BB: $1.24
      Preflop: Hero is CO with AJ
      5 folds, Hero raises to $0.08, BU calls $0.08, SB folds, BB calls $0.06.
      Flop: ($0.25) 263 (3 players)
      BB checks, Hero checks, BU checks.
      Turn: ($0.25) 5 (3 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $0.22, BU raises to $0.44, BB folds, Hero...?

I have to bet 0.22 to win back 0.91 so pot odds of roughly 1:4
      I have 9 outs and therefore a probability of winning of 20% (1:4). In a addition to this, i have implied odds since the BU raised my turn bet and has likely hit a straight that he/she would like to bet/call with on the river.
      To conclude, i think that a call would be the correct decision.

Question 3: Do you have questions about your postflop play? Post your hand for evaluation.
      How do you respond to somebody who bets the flop out of position and without initiative. Does this represent a strong hand?

(If i can find an example of this, i will update this post)
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #3 Done!

About Question #1:
      Preflop Equity:

Equity Win Tie
      UTG 50.78% 50.40% 0.38% { KsQs }
      UTG+1 49.22% 48.84% 0.38% { 3d3c }

Postflop Equity:

Board: J:spade: 5:diamond: 3:spade:
      Equity Win Tie
      UTG 26.46% 26.46% 0.00% { KsQs }
      UTG+1 73.54% 73.54% 0.00% { 3d3c }

About Question #2:
      There are several occasions on turn:
      a) If we take just odds for the FD and we take into account that all our odds are clean. Which means:
      Total Pot = $0,91 ; We have to Call = $0,22 -> According to that it means we are getting ~4,16:1 odds. For flushdraw we would need 4:1. Which tells us that we are getting perfect odds.
      b) If we consider the opponent having sets here:
      Which means we have to discount outs, for example 6 and also 3. Which means we have 7 clean outs so that means we need 6:1 odds. That tells us that we need ~$0,41 on river to make it profitable. If we expect the opponent being loose enough and being able to pay us no-matter what then we can do the Call here properly.
      c) We might even have overcards as outs or even 4 as a out:
      Although this kind of situation ain't that likely. I'd rather discount that one and either pick a) or b). Most likely towards Call.

You are doing great progress, keep going!
    • bssjonny94
      bssjonny94
      Bronze
      Thanks buddy,

Question 1: Post a hand for evaluation in which you have the initiative postflop.
      NL 2 Zoom AJs

Question 2: Evaluate one of the hands submitted by other members.
      NL2 Zoom - QQ

Question 3: You are on the flop with KQ. The board cards are J, 9, 8, and your opponent holds 77. What is your equity in this spot?
      41.41%
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #4 Done!

This weeks homework was a bit easier. But the idea of that is to help you go through last weeks stuff if you didn't go through everything. Or either way maybe even read some more articles, watch some videos and of course attend in the coaching. What will also help for your game is the evaluation part of other members hands and of course posting your own hands.

If you have interests you could try calculating the equity with a formula which you can use even on tables(either playing online or live poker):
      (Amount of outs x 4) – (Amount of outs – 8) = Your Equity

About Question #3:

Board: J:spade: 9:club: 8:heart:
             Equity     Win     Tie
      UTG    41.41%  41.41%   0.00% { KsQd }
      UTG+1  58.59%  58.59%   0.00% { 7h7c }

Hopefully this wasn't too easy homework for you.