Bankroll growing with no limits!

• ratje2000
      ratje2000
      Bronze
      Or at least, so I hope!

Well yeah, I'm kinda new here, but I was asked by numerous people to start my own blog, firstly to track my own progress, secondly because there was a lack of total newbs in this forum section (according to them at least, I wouldn't know, haven't read any of these blogs yet). So here's a start.

I'll be totally honest with you guys, I have no clue yet on how this blog will work or how regularly I will be able to update this. I'm just a new player who's studying a lot on Pokerstrategy.com, hoping to become a better player and to improve my skills at the table. As of this instant, I have a bankroll of €26,50 euro, which is slightly more than I started with (€25,00 euro) after having played 3000 hands using MSS on the NL2 and NL4 cashtables.

Since a short period of time, I am unemployed and thus have a lot of time on my hands. In the upcoming months, I will try to devote this time mostly to poker. I will try to maintain a 3 to 1 playing/studying rat...ell for me. I have been reading my way through the strategy sections of this forum and will shortly start with the blogs. I've attended 2 coaching's so far (Grummeler's yesterday and Gerv's today), and will try to find time to attend many more in the future, since I'm finding these very useful to adapt my playing style.

In this blog I will try to update regularly on my improvements playingwise, my improvements on my study, and my bankroll, so keep track of my progress (and let you keep track of my progress of course). If there is anything you would like for me to include in this blog, or if there is any kind of advice you would have for me whatsoever, or basically if there is anything you would like to share with me, please feel free to reply.

Lastly, I'm not from an English-speaking country, so I'm sorry if my grammatical skills have some flaws. Please bear with me :)

Thank you for reading, and let's hope that with my first update I'll have some good stuff to show y'all!
  • 14 replies
    • DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Bronze
      hey ratje and welcome to the blogging section! glad you started :D i will follow this blog.

what site are you playing at?

Lewis
    • ratje2000
      ratje2000
      Bronze
      Originally posted by DrDunne
      hey ratje and welcome to the blogging section! glad you started :D i will follow this blog.

what site are you playing at?

Lewis
      I am currently playing 770 Poker
    • DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Bronze
      ahh cool i'm playing there too atm - just some heads-up nl4 just clearing my $50. hopefully will move the money off there sometime soon
    • ratje2000
      ratje2000
      Bronze
      HU NL4 eh? Might meet you at the tables then, although I don't play a lot there, I do play the occasional heads-up match when I feel I have an edge (I always check my opponents first when it comes to HU). I might just come and challenge you somewhere soon, just to see if I learn anything from the progress :)
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze
      You dont need to worry about your english skills mate, looks like you speak it better than me ;)

Good to see you've started blogging, keep updating and hopefully sooner rather than later some guys who are playing the same limits as you will discover this blog and you can find some guys to improve with :)

Good luck hope to see you crushing NL1k soon
    • cufc37
      cufc37
      Bronze
      Nice one on getting the blog up and running! Told you no curses were necessary.

Looks like you got some of the bankroll back from the bad beats yesterday :f_thumbsup: .

One other bit of advice I forgot is about table selection. I have an account at 770, but don't really use it because so many tables on the i-poker network seem really nitty, which I guess makes it even more important. Don't know if you try to table select, but if not, then try to find tables with a 'players per flop' % of over 20 (if there aren't already 20 people on the waiting list) and of course tables with a higher average potsize should also be more profitable.

If you get the HM2 or Poker Tracker 4 trial then the stats should also give you an idea about how the table's playing, and if after 20 hands or so it becomes apparent that it's full of nits, move to another table!

Anyways, keep up the good work! Will look forward to the next update!
    • ratje2000
      ratje2000
      Bronze
      I did indeed get back up from that bad beats that day, although I've managed to get another bad beat streak yesterday. Ran into 11 pockets of aces, while never getting any high pocket pair myself. In the past 1000 hands I've lost about €6,- to all-in's against pocket aces, while having top pair with a good kicker, or even having two pair against a set. Luckily though, I got a $10,- bonus from 770 poker as the second part of my free 50 dollar there, which means I am right now back up to €29,59 euro, which basically means I'm on a little profit, yet it doesn't really feel like profit.

After reading your reply here, I've started selecting tables on the PPF percentage as well, since before I had only been selecting on high avg pot sizes. Yes I did notice that there are quite a lot of nits on these tables, and have moved rather quickly when I found that out, but most of the table have 1-3 fish ready for catching.

About poker tracking software, I would like to try Hold'em Manager 2 but I'm afraid I won't understand it without help (I've seen others use it and I was like: Ok, that's Chinese :| ). So basically, if there's anyone that would be interested in helping me out by adding me to Skype and kinda guide me through the start, I would be very very grateful!

Also, I would happily post a graph here, if I knew where to get one :tongue:

Right now I'm going to start a 3 hour session where I will be focussing on trying to calculate pot odds and implied pot odds within the short time I have to make decisions. I have noticed that often I can't seem to calculate them quickly enough. I will let you guys know on how I did.

See you guys at the tables!
    • ratje2000
      ratje2000
      Bronze
      Alright, seems like my session ends a little early after losing €6,50 in hardly any time at all. Since I still don't have HM2 I'll just describe the most important hands here:

I have AK on the button. I bet 3 BB's.
      The SB raises me to 13 BB's. I call.
      Flop comes up: A T 9, no flush cards.
      Both check.
      Turn comes up: 2, stull no flush cards.
      I bet 6 BB's, SB raises me all-in. I call.
      He shows AT, no king on the river, SB wins the pot.

Next one:

I have A8 in late position. I bet 2 BB's.
      The BB calls.
      Flop: 8 8 9, no flush cards.
      BB bet's 10 BB's, I raise to 24 BB's, he raises all-in, I call.
      He shows 6 7, turn card is a T. BB wins the pot.

Next one:

I have AA as the SB. Everyone folded to me, I raise to 3 BB's.
      The BB raises to 8 BB's, I raise to 20 BB's, BB raises all-in, I call.
      BB shows TJs
      Flop: T T 6
      Turn: J
      River 7
      BB wins the pot.

Right now, I've decided to quit playing, before I even start thinking about the option of tilting.. Way to start a new day, not feeling great now :(

Oh well, part of the game isn't it? Better luck next time!
    • cufc37
      cufc37
      Bronze
      Hi mate.

I'm using PT4 at the moment. I found HM2 to be really buggy and slow when I had the trial. A few times it just crashed in the middle of playing so I gave up on it. From what I've read, a lot of people really liked HM1 so I might give it a go again once they get it working properly.

If you want to try PT4 first, then would gladly help you out with setting up the basics. If someone with more experience volunteers though, they might be able to help you out more. Will send you a friend request on here in case.

As for the hands, looks like you got pretty unlucky.

First hand: I reckon you should bet on the flop rather than check behind. Won't change the end result here, but if he had QJ or AJ, you want to get as much value as possible. If you see the player in the SB as a loose donk who'll call off with worse, you could possibly even just get the money in pre-flop.

Second hand: Don't know if it's part of the MSS, but I don't think min-raising is good! You give the BB good odds to call with any old crap. With A8 you don't really want to be seeing too many flops. Obviously unlucky afterwards though!

Third hand: Make a note on the guy and try to sit at his table more often! :)
    • DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Bronze
      that sucks. but then when we lose with AA vs JT it's what keeps the bad players at the table so in the long run it's good :)

couple of tips:

1)don't slowplay, especially when you don't have the nuts. if you flop TPTK you have to bet bet bet. if you get raised, then it's generally a fold (as crappy as that is) because you are probably beaten. when most people are passive, they will rarely ever raise with worse than 2pair.

2)focus on bet sizing. preflop you want to raise 4bb + 1bb per limper. postflop, generally bet between 50% and 100% of the pot since these are standard sizes. so for instance, you reach the flop and the pot is 10bb, a standard continuation bet would be something like 7bb.

3)bet more (closer to 100% of the pot) when there are draws available AND you have a made hand like TPTK. the reason being that people will call you on a draw (which is a mistake) and so you are betting for value and protection from their draw.

but these things are nothing you won't find in the strategy articles :)
    • ratje2000
      ratje2000
      Bronze
      Just a little update here to tell y'all that I probably won't be able to play for a few days. So don't worry if I vanish from the face of the earth, I'll be back ;)
    • ratje2000
      ratje2000
      Bronze
      Well well well, I've just done a little session ofnearly 4000 hands, so I'm ready for a new update. First of all, I just lost 18 all-in's in a row, with the better odds in every single one of them. That being said, I did manage to actually raise my bankroll despite that fact, to a very nice and appreciated €41.50.

I have been focussing a lot on reading the opponents cards, even when I'm not in the hand, to be able to determine their hand range better, and this has really proven very useful to me so far. Although I seem to be on a horrifying loss streak when it comes to all-in's, I've still made some (in my opinion decent) profit, which gives me hope for the future.

I still haven't had the opportunity to get PokerTracker 4 working, so I don't have any hands to show you here, I'm sorry. What I do have, is a bunch new energy to keep on practising.
    • C0WB0Y
      C0WB0Y
      Bronze
      hey pm me and i'll see if i can help you get the tracker working cause i wanna see those 18 in row ahead all in!

Cowboy
    • ratje2000
      ratje2000
      Bronze
      Alright, this is just awesome. Just had a 3 hour session in which I think I didn't play really bad, but I literally did not hit 1 hand. I kept running into the absolute nuts, one suckout after another, and I managed to get my bankroll to 11 dollar.

I'll be evaluating my play and posting some hands tomorrow, right now I'm tired, and headed for bed.

If I get my bankroll from 50 dollar to 11 dollar in just 3 hours, I'm wondering what tomorrow will bring me. Well, let's find out tomorrow.