Switching from cash games to sit and go's

• bssjonny94
      bssjonny94
      Bronze
      Hey guys, im just wondering if once you are well established and are playing for example Nl100 cash games, is switching to sit and gos and tournaments almost like starting again since you will need a new strategy, or can a lot of your experience in cash games help you do well?
  • 6 replies
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze
      Hey bssjonny94

Usually, to be honest, i see it going the other way, sit n go players moving to cash not very often the other way round. Some aspects are the the same some very different between the two, for example similarities are that somebody with a lot of experience in cash will be able to read boards/hand strengths, count odds/outs quickly. So the very basics don't really change much. However there are new skills/techniques to learn like how to play in different phases of tournaments, how to exploit the bubble, ICM and many more.

Basically, just because you are good at cash doesnt mean that you are gonna crush SNGs after a week of studying, you may find it easier to pick up than somebody who has never played either.

Maybe somebody who has made the transition one way or another can give some insight on if they found it difficult/easy. How long it took them to get to grips with things etc.

Enjoy your day
      Carl
    • suitedaces1701
      suitedaces1701
      Platinum
      I would think that you should be able to do fine in MTTs if you're a winning cash game player. You just need to adjust to the blind levels and the low amount of BB you will have in your stack throughout the tournament. I'm sure you can afford coaching aswell after watching a ton of videos seeing that you're a winning player at NL100 (I'm guessing).

Good luck! :D

EDIT: Mercier and Selbst are good example of people that switched from CGs to MTTs
    • JackxxRatt
      JackxxRatt
      Bronze
      If you're a competent Nl100 cash game player then there really shouldn't be any reason you can't make the transition, just don't expect to be crushing SNGs & Tournies overnight. The hardest part is probably moving down to relatively low buy-ins while learning the different strategies, it will require a lot of patience and you might find it quite boring compared to what you're used to playing.
    • bssjonny94
      bssjonny94
      Bronze
      I should point out that i'm not actually playing Nl100 (unfortunately, more like NL2) i meant hypothetically if a player was playing those stakes. I was just wondering, since i do like playing both, but i wanted to be sure that i wasn't committing myself to a particular game type.
      Although thank for your replies, very helpful as always.
    • JackxxRatt
      JackxxRatt
      Bronze
      I think for competent players, once you've learnt the strategies for the different variants of poker, what you've learnt stays with you. You might get a little rusty if you haven't played for a while but you'll soon be back in the swing of things.

I think it's always good to have a few different game types to switch between for differing reasons. I prefer playing tournaments on Sunday nights for instance and cash games when the drunks are online. During the week I'll just grind playing abc for some rakeback or maybe I'll learn some omaha. Yeah I wouldn't worry too much about switching from one variant to another.
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      There are some other dynamics that come into play as the blinds grow so that in essence everyone is playing short stacked.

You don't see these things so often in cash games.

With SnGs -- and especially for bit MTTs, you are in it for the duration.
      Some MTTs go several hours.

Cash games you can come and go at your leisure.