Micro to...hopefully less micro FLHE

• Musher1993
      Musher1993
      Bronze
      Hi and welcome to my (hopefully) successful blog, i've been considering starting a blog since joining the pokerstrategy community but i was jumping from game to game trying to find a style of HoldEm that suits me, after trying NL Cash and SnGs i decided to try FLHE and here we are.

A bit about me, i'm a student from the north east of England, hopefully going to be studying chemistry at university in September if the results come out the way i hope they did, i've always liked watching poker so i decided a couple of months ago to learn how to play properly, after googling 'poker strategy' i unsurprisingly found pokerstrategy.com and started reading the basic articles/passing the quiz for the $50 starting capital which i chose to put on Ladbrokes, i'm not keen on their software so i used the free $7.70 offer on poker770 which i've managed to build up to £22.92 and for now i'll be sticking to poker770.

That brings me onto now, i'll be trying to raise through the stakes playing SH FLHE with a BRM of 500 BB before moving up (as recommended by the strategy article) which means currently i'm playing $0.02/0.04.

Goals:
      Post more hands in the strategy forum
      Play decent length sessions (I seem to play 50-100 hands then stop for a break which while 2 tabling isn't too long)
      Try to increase the amount of tables without making more mistakes
      Attend the weekly beginner FL coaching session and read/re-read as many FL articles as possible
      £32 BR which is around 500BB for $0.05/0.1

Heres the graph for so far (really low volume):
  • 18 replies
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      Hi Musher1993 and welcome to the blogaments!

Good luck with the chemistry next year. :)

It sounds to me like you have your head on the right way round, so we will be expecting good things to come out of here ok? :f_cool:

Oh and yes bankroll management is the first rule of poker and one of the least used I should think.

Will be keeping an eye on this.

Regards,

Mal.
    • AYuraoA
      AYuraoA
      Bronze
      Hey man!!!

Good luck with your goals!

May I give you a bit of a little advice? You mentioned that you play 2 tables at once and you think that you are not playing too long because you go to get a break.

I would advice you to actually TAKE this brake. The thing is, that on two tables you will play 100 hands around one hour (+-). This is perfect time to get a little break (around 10 mins) and then return to play more if you feel like it.

The breaks will reward you very rich in the long run. So it would be nice to get the habit from the start to get breaks every hour! Ofc, pay attenton to your feeling and adjust the time when to get break to your suits. :)

Again, Good luck, I will check out on your blog from time to time;)

Feel free to look at my blog too! Look for POKER SQUARED blog;)

Sincerely,

Yurao
    • Musher1993
      Musher1993
      Bronze
      Originally posted by gadget51
      Hi Musher1993 and welcome to the blogaments!

Good luck with the chemistry next year. :)

It sounds to me like you have your head on the right way round, so we will be expecting good things to come out of here ok? :f_cool:

Lets hope so, i had AA cracked earlier by J5s which was quite annoying, but karma seems to like me and i sucked out on someone a couple of hands later with AJs against their AA so they balanced out

Originally posted by AYuraoA

May I give you a bit of a little advice? You mentioned that you play 2 tables at once and you think that you are not playing too long because you go to get a break.

I would advice you to actually TAKE this brake. The thing is, that on two tables you will play 100 hands around one hour (+-). This is perfect time to get a little break (around 10 mins) and then return to play more if you feel like it.

The breaks will reward you very rich in the long run. So it would be nice to get the habit from the start to get breaks every hour! Ofc, pay attenton to your feeling and adjust the time when to get break to your suits. :)

Again, Good luck, I will check out on your blog from time to time;)

Feel free to look at my blog too! Look for POKER SQUARED blog;)

Thanks for the advice, i wasn't sure how long an average session should be, but taking a break every hour does seem like a good idea so i'll cross that goal off :)

I'll check it out :)
    • stampman024
      stampman024
      Bronze
      Hi Musher
      Good luck with your goals mate.
      You mention that you want to attend the FL beginner coaching. This is mainly for full ring. I would advise you to attend the advanced coaching on Tuesday nights at 9pm GMT with Datsmahname. It is exclusively for SH and I am sure you will benefit a lot more from it.

See you there mate GL

stampman
    • pbijvoet
      pbijvoet
      Bronze
      Subscribed :D
    • Musher1993
      Musher1993
      Bronze
      Originally posted by stampman024
      Hi Musher
      Good luck with your goals mate.
      You mention that you want to attend the FL beginner coaching. This is mainly for full ring. I would advise you to attend the advanced coaching on Tuesday nights at 9pm GMT with Datsmahname. It is exclusively for SH and I am sure you will benefit a lot more from it.

See you there mate GL

stampman

I was getting mixed up with what status you needed for the advanced coaching :P Thought it was gold not silver, so i'll definately attend that instead

Logged on just now to find only 3 tables of 0.02/0.04 SH running, each with a queue of 5+ waiters so i guess i'll do some other stuff for now and come back to poker later
    • Musher1993
      Musher1993
      Bronze
      Not much to say about today, only played around 50 hands but i was making stupid mistakes so i stopped for the day 15BB down, i got a couple of the bronze articles read in the time i would've spent playing so in the long term that should be more +EV then the session(s) i missed today :tongue:
    • Musher1993
      Musher1993
      Bronze
      Just finished a short break even session, quite happy with my play this session definately playing a lot better than yesterday, it would have been a profiting session but i got rivered a couple of times, my personal favourite being this hand:
      iPoker - $0.02/$0.04 (6 max) - Holdem - 6 players
      Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

UTG: $3.55
      MP: $1.42
      CO: $0.77
      BTN: $2.70
      SB: $0.50
      Hero (BB): $0.88

SB posts SB $0.01, Hero posts BB $0.02

Pre Flop: (pot: $0.03) Hero has K:spade: K:diamond:

fold, fold, CO raises to $0.04, fold, fold, Hero raises to $0.06, CO calls $0.02

Flop: ($0.13, 2 players) 6:heart: 9:spade: 7:club:
      Hero bets $0.02, CO calls $0.02

Turn: ($0.17, 2 players) J:heart:
      Hero bets $0.04, CO calls $0.04

River: ($0.25, 2 players) A:diamond:
      Hero bets $0.04, CO raises to $0.08, Hero calls $0.04

CO shows Q:club: A:heart: (One Pair, Aces) (Pre 28%, Flop 14%, Turn 7%)
      Hero mucks K:spade: K:diamond: (One Pair, Kings) (Pre 72%, Flop 86%, Turn 93%)
      CO wins $0.40

I was pretty sure he had overcards on the flop so when the ace came on the river i was pretty sure i'd been rivered, felt i had to pay him off with the last BB on the off chance they had something like KJs and were repping the ace
    • Musher1993
      Musher1993
      Bronze
      The last couple of days have been pretty frustrating poker wise, i've been playing badly on the whole and getting rivered a lot when i was playing well, all profit on the graph in the first post has been lost and i'm pretty much BE now.

Today is the first day for around 3 days i felt i've played well, found a couple of great tables, gained 8BB in 10hands against a calling station then they left the table, found another table with a worse calling station and ended up in this 3 way pot:

iPoker - $0.02/$0.04 (6 max) - Holdem - 5 players

BTN: $1.19
      SB: $2.21
      BB: $1.06
      UTG: $1.38
      Hero (CO): $1.10

SB posts SB $0.01, BB posts BB $0.02

Pre Flop: (pot: $0.03) Hero has K:heart: K:club:

UTG raises to $0.04, Hero raises to $0.06, fold, fold, BB calls $0.04, UTG calls $0.02

Flop: ($0.19, 3 players) 3:diamond: 6:spade: 5:diamond:
      BB checks, UTG bets $0.02, Hero raises to $0.04, BB calls $0.04, UTG calls $0.02

Turn: ($0.31, 3 players) J:heart:
      BB checks, UTG checks, Hero bets $0.04, BB calls $0.04, UTG calls $0.04

River: ($0.43, 3 players) 4:diamond:
      BB bets $0.04, UTG calls $0.04, Hero calls $0.04

BB shows 7:club: 7:diamond: (Straight, Seven High) (Pre 20%, Flop 26%, Turn 14%)
      UTG shows K:diamond: A:spade: (High Card, Ace) (Pre 26%, Flop 15%, Turn 7%)
      Hero mucks K:heart: K:club: (One Pair, Kings) (Pre 53%, Flop 59%, Turn 79%)
      BB wins $0.53

The UTG actually had a half decent hand for once, he'd been making similar plays with stuff like Q6o

Having the rest of the day away from poker, may take a couple of days away and try to come back with a better mindset otherwise i'm probably going to lose a lot more :f_confused:
    • Musher1993
      Musher1993
      Bronze
      Every monday (If i remember to :f_biggrin: ) I'll be posting a summary of the week, so here goes week one:
      Hands played : 578
      Net Won : 45BB
      BB/100 : 7.78
      Bankroll : £23.76
      Graph:

I'm not really happy with the volume, i'd rather have played more but it would have been stupid to continue playing at times when i was making stupid decisions and terrible reads, keeping in mind the downswing where i was spewing BBs the +45BB i'm very happy with, and the BB/100 is higher than i'd expected to start with.

Goals:
      Post more hands in the strategy forum I only posted one hand this week, ideally i should be posting a few more
      Play decent length sessions I cut bad sessions short so i didn't lose more than i needed to
      Attend the weekly beginner FL coaching session and read/re-read as many FL articles as possible I attended the SH FL session instead
    • datsmahname
      datsmahname
      Global
      :f_thumbsup: FL blog

gl with your goals
    • notabigdeal
      notabigdeal
      Bronze
      hi,

I´ll follow the blog. I also play FL SH at the micros.
      Aren´t you worried about less traffic on ipoker, when moving up? Right now there are 11k players online and 2 tables .05/.1 are going.

About the hands, i would also make the rivercalls, even if they are bluffing really few times. The most players on this limit are not solid at all and to quote kobeyard "no tough folds against idiots". How tough the fold really is bases on your reads as well. Never forget to mark bad players and to make short practical notes.

all the good things
    • Musher1993
      Musher1993
      Bronze
      Originally posted by notabigdeal
      Aren´t you worried about less traffic on ipoker, when moving up? Right now there are 11k players online and 2 tables .05/.1 are going.

About the hands, i would also make the rivercalls, even if they are bluffing really few times. The most players on this limit are not solid at all and to quote kobeyard "no tough folds against idiots". How tough the fold really is bases on your reads as well. Never forget to mark bad players and to make short practical notes.
      I'm only on ipoker at the moment as i can't deposit to a site for now and the only other site i had anything on is Ladbrokes which has no FLHE apart from heads up, once i can make a deposit i'll be transferring the BR from ipoker and ladbrokes over to another site so i'll be looking for a site with decent FL traffic, any suggestions?

Good to know i'm not alone in that decision :) I really wasn't sure whether to call or not and i've been told in micro stakes for FL "If its marginal between fold or call, call because the players are often weak at these limits" so it seemed the right thing to do

Good luck at the tables :)
    • Musher1993
      Musher1993
      Bronze
      Not sure if i've been on a massive heater today or just table selecting and playing better than usual, we'll go with the first one :D
      Had a few interesting hands:

Hand One:
      This guy was flaming someone for about 5 minutes due to his QQ being cracked by 66, so i figured he was tilting and didn't give him credit on the flop plus i had enough outs to justify the call not sure what he was thinking on the turn, even though i was ahead the entire way he turned his flaming attention to me for a bit :s_cool:

SB: $0.78
      BB: $3.38
      UTG: $0.94
      Hero (MP): $1.21
      CO: $0.75
      BTN: $1.86

SB posts SB $0.01, BB posts BB $0.02

Pre Flop: (pot: $0.03) Hero has Q:diamond: A:club:

UTG raises to $0.04, Hero raises to $0.06, fold, fold, fold, fold, UTG raises to $0.08, Hero calls $0.02

Flop: ($0.19, 2 players) 2:spade: K:spade: T:diamond:
      UTG bets $0.02, Hero calls $0.02

Turn: ($0.23, 2 players) J:diamond:
      UTG bets $0.04, Hero raises to $0.08, UTG raises to $0.12, Hero raises to $0.16, UTG calls $0.04

River: ($0.55, 2 players) K:heart:
      UTG checks, Hero bets $0.04, UTG calls $0.04

UTG shows J:spade: Q:spade: (Two Pair, Kings and Jacks) (Pre 32%, Flop 52%, Turn 23%)
      Hero shows Q:diamond: A:club: (Straight, Ace High) (Pre 68%, Flop 48%, Turn 77%)
      Hero wins $0.61

Hand Two:
      I took a note of this guy and another person who was spewing BB's, managed to be up 40BB in 20 hands on this table :f_biggrin: , not really sure why he made the calls pre flop or on the flop but lucky for me he did and improved on the turn

CO: $0.69
      BTN: $1.86
      SB: $1.29
      Hero (BB): $1.45
      UTG: $1.03
      MP: $2.50

SB posts SB $0.01, Hero posts BB $0.02

Pre Flop: (pot: $0.03) Hero has Q:spade: Q:club:

UTG raises to $0.04, MP calls $0.04, CO calls $0.04, BTN calls $0.04, fold, Hero raises to $0.06, UTG raises to $0.08, MP calls $0.04, CO calls $0.04, BTN calls $0.04, Hero calls $0.02

Flop: ($0.41, 5 players) A:club: Q:diamond: 6:diamond:
      Hero bets $0.02, UTG calls $0.02, MP calls $0.02, CO calls $0.02, BTN calls $0.02

Turn: ($0.51, 5 players) 2:spade:
      Hero bets $0.04, fold, MP calls $0.04, fold, BTN raises to $0.08, Hero raises to $0.12, fold, BTN raises to $0.16, Hero calls $0.04

River: ($0.87, 2 players) 6:heart:
      Hero bets $0.04, BTN raises to $0.08, Hero raises to $0.12, BTN raises to $0.16, Hero calls $0.04

BTN shows 2:diamond: 2:club: (Full House, Twos full of Sixes) (Pre 18%, Flop 4%, Turn 2%)
      Hero shows Q:spade: Q:club: (Full House, Queens full of Sixes) (Pre 82%, Flop 96%, Turn 98%)
      Hero wins $1.15
      Bronze
      Hey man good to see a FL blog. following with interest. and you should definitely come post hands in the fixed limit forums (hand evaluation) we are a few who loves to respond to anybody's hand no matter how stupid you may think it is we will provide with an answer to better your game ;)

The free coaching which you mention you want to go to.. TOP NOTCH Go to all of them, its like gold coins tossed into your lap.. You just have to pick them up and read and learn.

I wish you good luck and hope to see you soon in the fixed limit forums

If you want to chat with a fellow ps.com FL micro player heres my skype. hope to hear from you soon :)
    • Musher1993
      Musher1993
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Avataren
      Hey man good to see a FL blog. following with interest. and you should definitely come post hands in the fixed limit forums (hand evaluation) we are a few who loves to respond to anybody's hand no matter how stupid you may think it is we will provide with an answer to better your game ;)

The free coaching which you mention you want to go to.. TOP NOTCH Go to all of them, its like gold coins tossed into your lap.. You just have to pick them up and read and learn.

I wish you good luck and hope to see you soon in the fixed limit forums

If you want to chat with a fellow ps.com FL micro player heres my skype. hope to hear from you soon :)

n1ghtah
      Thanks for the kind words :)
      I post now and again in the fixed limit forums but i plan to become a bit more of a regular, just need to remember to review my sessions so i can pick hands out :tongue:

I added you on the friends tool thing on the ps forums, can you send me your skype in a message as i can't see it in your post?
      Bronze
      thanks whoever removing my skype :D btw. and sure i can hold on
    • Musher1993
      Musher1993
      Bronze
      Sorry for the lack of updates, i've been busy for the last couple of weeks so i only manage around 700 hands, this week i'm away from thursday so i'll try to get a bit of volume in from today to wednesday and get a summary of that in.