Free Starting Capital Gone! Advice!!!

• Stu24023
      Stu24023
      Bronze
      Hi all,

Right, so me taking on board what the videos, courses and coachings say, and then only listening to it for about 20-30 mins a session has meant i am down to $0.45.

It was not a case of i thought i could do it better, i think i tried to do too much too soon!

I am a firm believer in the training on here and i need to listen to it intently again.

I am waiting for my free $10 from Bet365 and i will fully follow the teachings.

I am not sure if it was a lack of concerntration or a lack of patience coupled with a few Badbeats and maybe a smidge of Tilt!

I will not give up as i know i can succeed, but i could some advice on how to turn this around, without ploughing in a truck full of money!

Stu
  • 19 replies
    • FVM8973
      FVM8973
      Bronze
      Are you sure you followed Bankroll Managment advices?
    • northernplan
      northernplan
      Bronze
      You aren't the first and you wont be the last. You just have to regroup and look at what you did wrong, then try and correct it. Personally I would recommend putting say ten pounds in with your free £10 this will give you a slightly bigger BR and gives you some ownership. Personally I think it is better playing with your own money as well as free BR, it makes you more responsible and losing it means more to you so you will make sure that you study and put into practice what you learn.

Nic
    • mute20
      mute20
      Bronze
      Poker might not simply be for you. If you haven't already taken a look at the bronze videos you should learn from them.
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Originally posted by Stu24023
      Hi all,

Right, so me taking on board what the videos, courses and coachings say, and then only listening to it for about 20-30 mins a session has meant i am down to $0.45.
      Hi, Stu...
      Is the whole $50 gone -- or are there more instalments to come?

If the whole thing is gone, then to keep playing, you'll need to deposit.

If you will be getting more instalments, I suggest that you start the NL Beginner's course and follow along slowly and carefully.

It is possible to meed the requirements w/o depositing, but it does require a certain amount of care.

I'll move this thread to the Beginner's Question forum, since it seems to suit the content better.

Good Luck!
      --VS
    • Benm473
      Benm473
      Bronze
      Experience of a lot of hands will naturally make you better.

I thought that the pokersite's with p strategy refuse to let you not do bankroll management so that can't be the issue.

If you enjoy playing and want to get better that and bankroll management is all that matters. Re-deposit another 50 dollars and assume you will lose it. then don't worry about the results you just want to focus 100% on getting better.

As well as what is taught you want to ask yourself loads of questions about your opponents and how they play and yourself about why you have done a certain thing.

I busted my bankroll on here but hadn't paid much attention the lessons on here. I also lacked experience but I am playing on my origonal tracked site now and gaining cash.
    • Castle93
      Castle93
      Bronze
      everyone busts the starting capital, its more standard than Aces getting cracking on the BU of a stars tourney, learn from your mistakes and start again, gl at the tables :)
    • C0WB0Y
      C0WB0Y
      Bronze
      With all due respect castle that is a brutal statement to make! If you follow the bankroll management and have the discipline to follow the vids most won't bust.
      The reason most will bust it is the same reason most are losing players habitually and that is because they lack the focus and discipline to do the hard work. The hard work is to learn ranges and develop solid reads and know stack to pot ratios and pots and +/-ev plays.

Cowboy
    • Castle93
      Castle93
      Bronze
      what im saying if a lot of winning players on here learn why BRM is important and why they did to work on their game because they busted the SC, its like a wake up call for a lot of new players
    • esuohdla
      esuohdla
      Bronze
      Originally posted by C0WB0Y
      With all due respect castle that is a brutal statement to make! If you follow the bankroll management and have the discipline to follow the vids most won't bust.
      The reason most will bust it is the same reason most are losing players habitually and that is because they lack the focus and discipline to do the hard work. The hard work is to learn ranges and develop solid reads and know stack to pot ratios and pots and +/-ev plays.

Cowboy
      Castles statement is brutal but mostly true, most people I see, even massive winners, bust the first 50 and learn from it before starting with another capital or their own money.
    • Stu24023
      Stu24023
      Bronze
      I woulfd have used BRM but i got the SC in 5 $10 instalments, which didnt make it easy to follow!

I am doing the reading a attending coachings and i am determined to be a better player. I will go through all of the course coachings again and refocus myself.

Who knows where i will be next year!!!
    • Benm473
      Benm473
      Bronze
      With the 5 10 installments you can grind 2nl cash and although you can bust it the lower levels are less swingy than the higher limits.

You can also table select do the straightforward stuff to start with basically get into the tables with the highest figures for hands per hour percentage of players to the flop etc.

Even though these tables will take longer to get onto they have the benefit of

1) letting you read some stuff on here before getting into the game
      2) You can get paid of a lot more with decent hands as these tables have more call with ATC fish.
      3) Next time you log on you have a lot of fish tagged which will show up in the lobby you can check their winrates etc on pokertableratings.com
    • Stu24023
      Stu24023
      Bronze
      I have been looking over some old hands

it is clear, i am playing too many VPIP about26-28 a session, and clearly overplaying hands.

I just need to stick to the open raising chart and maybe consider the advanced chart in a few months when i can do the basics and recognise when i am clearly beat, as that is something that needs work.

I can look at hands people post and i am more inclined to advise fold, but when it comes to me i am less than able, i hope that recognising it and now putting in my own money will kick me into that mode.

Has anyone else done well and turned it around after being in a similar position to me and if so may i ask how you did it and how you are getting on?
    • Castle93
      Castle93
      Bronze
      stu im feeling nice today, ill add on you on the community tool and chat to ya on skype if you like :)
    • JackxxRatt
      JackxxRatt
      Bronze
      Playing too many hands is one of the biggest mistakes newbies make. How many tables do you play?. If you're just playing 1 or 2 tables it's easy to play too many hands or 'pretty' hands out of position when boredom kicks in with periods of being 'card dead'. If you can manage playing more tables this should help you with better hand selection and it'll also help stop the overplaying of hands when you become more accustomed to 'better spots'.
    • RasTweet
      RasTweet
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Castle93
      everyone busts the starting capital, its more standard than Aces getting cracking on the BU of a stars tourney, learn from your mistakes and start again, gl at the tables :)
      I didn't :s_cool: Still playing with it and haven't invested anything of my own money yet.

@stu

You could have some bad luck/bad beats. Just get yourself together and try to find out what you are doing wrong.

Like you said you are playing to many hands. I'm not sure if you're playing FR or SH but your VP$P is to high. Stick to the SHC and you should be fine.

If you're not sure what you are doing wrong I strongly suggest you posts some hands up for evaluation. This way coaches can help you to fix your leaks.

Regards

RasTweet
    • Meda1985
      Meda1985
      Bronze
      If you believe you can succeed, you will! BUT!!! First, as someone already said, regroup, and start playing poker instead of playing cards! There is no simple advice ti give you, no simple get rich quick scheme, it is mostly sweat and tears!!! My advice is:
      BEFORE YOU EVEN SIT AT A TABLE WITH THIS NEW BR, READ (or re-read if you have already read them) ALL BRONZE AND BASIC ARTICLES HERE!!! I see you are silver, read those as well, but they are not so important for NL2! While you are reading them, take a notebook and a pen and write everything you were doing wrong and a write a way to do properly now! After those few days of learning, THEN SIT DOWN at the tables! You'll see, you'll start winning!!! Also, listen to the other someone who said to deposit $10, you'll have $30 then and even though it'll be a little bit of aggressive BRM it's enough for NL2 as players there are horrible!

P.S. This is saying from my own experience! When I received my first BR here, I read starting-hands charts, thought I was a pro and I wasted it in matter of weeks! After that I deposited some on my own and wasted that as well because I thought i was just unlucky with $50! So, then when FullTilt closed I received $50 again from PS and I thought how I will finally start to learn, so I read few articles more and wasted that BR as well!!! After that I invested my own money again and I'm still playing with it and I'm a winning player at micro-stakes! Why? I stopped thinking that online poker is rigged and I'm unlucky and I started to LEARN, because I accepted that I don't know shait about poker and read two books and ALL OF THE ARTICLES AVAILABLE TO ME HERE (maybe 15 times some of them), I joined five more forums about poker and after few months, I started playing again! And, of course it's micro-stakes, PLAYERS ARE BAD, and in NL2 THEY ARE HORRIBLE!!! If you start playing poker you will be out of NL2 in matter of weeks, if you keep playing cards, you will stay in NL2 as a losing player FOREVER! Or you can deposit $2500 and go be a losing player at NL100! :D
    • Benm473
      Benm473
      Bronze
      Yeah I think that whilst not everyone will bust their first roll and a lot of people will also find poker a lot easier than others to get to grip with there are a lot of people who mainly for physchological reasons will bust their first roll.

The advice given on this site is very very good and when the coaches and moderators talk about the advice on here being able to make you a winning player or assist you on the way to that they are 100% right and have the experience to back it up.

However I think knowing whether one person has busted their roll or not or worrying about busting your own roll are not helpful you will learn at your own rate and in your own way.

It is definately a good idea to read the articles and trust and believe in them, but also to question and criticise them. It is also a good idea to pay attention when you are at the tables and trust that by trying and just experiencing hands you will get better.

The 50 dollar roll is actually very good for 2nl cash and a generous offer if you bust it don't worry though re-deposit another 50 dollar and STAY AT 2NL until it is past 100 dollars you have to learn to do this and commit to it patience and discipline are as important as playing well to success.

I know if I recieved my 50 roll now I would be very unlikely to bust it playing correct BRM- if I had payed more attention to the articles in the beginning I would not have learnt how important BRM is the hard way.
    • Benm473
      Benm473
      Bronze
      lol also meda's reply above mine puts it really well.

When I first recieved my 50 dollars I thought I was brilliant.

I know now that I am not brilliant but also know I am better than I used to be by far.

so what changed? As meda mentions he realised that ego in the game is really really bad and that learning and understanding from more experienced people is very very important. As soon as I realised how much I sucked I could work on ways to improve.
    • nefarious26
      nefarious26
      Bronze
      when your starting out at micros just keep it very basic and simple.

all the info you need is in this site.

you must be able to recognize your mistakes if you dont then you cant learn from them...yup basic stuff

i imagine the biggest downfall is players wanting to run before they can walk, you must forget all about how much money you want to win and focus all your attention on learning and becoming to best player you can, you need a good foundation for this and grinding the micros in your case is a very cheap way to learn.