highstakes hourly rates, sngs vs mtts vs cash

• Leito99
      Leito99
      Bronze
      many ask what is it best to start with but i'm wondering - who has the best hourly out of the: high stakes sng (perhaps such as Serkules)... high stakes mtts (who play the highest mtts on stars for example..perhaps such as ImDaNuts) or highstakes cash games (perhaps such as TwiceT rather than a famous pro like galfond)
  • 7 replies
    • ragney
      ragney
      Bronze
      Uhm its really hard to get a proper answer.

Assuming they are beating their games equally...

Cash games has the most stable winrate, aka least variance. SNGs follow up, its more swingy. And MTTs have huge variance, its near impossible to get a good hourly sample.

The best would be a combination of them which alot of PROS do.

Overall there are more high stakes MTT fish than cash game imo. Look MTTs like sunday million etc. Problem is huge variance.
    • MatejM47
      MatejM47
      Black
      Its in cash games and its not even close. I know DrGiggy posted his stats and he had something like 1200$/h over a big sample size playing only NL1k but that was a while ago and im not sure if thats still possible in todays state of the games.

And thats only nl1k. I have no idea what kind of hourly was possible on nl100k back in tilt days or now in high stakes plo games. Probably should ask Galfond in his blog if you rly wanna know.

Yes sunday million is fishy, but thats not really high stakes and thats 1 tournament a week. The stakes are just to low and the games don't run often enough for you to get a great hourly playing MTT's.
      I know that the best 180 man players get around 100-200$/h and more then that its simply impossible since the games at higher stakes don't run often enough and your forced to mix in smaller stakes as well.

HU sng's i have no idea, but i doubt you can get a higher hourly then in lets say HU cash at nl5k. I think isildur has like 20bb winrate on PLO5k hu on stars. But this largely depends on how hard it is for you to get action and how long you have to wait.
    • ragney
      ragney
      Bronze
      Originally posted by MatejM47
      Its in cash games and its not even close. I know DrGiggy posted his stats and he had something like 1200$/h over a big sample size playing only NL1k but that was a while ago and im not sure if thats still possible in todays state of the games.

And thats only nl1k. I have no idea what kind of hourly was possible on nl100k back in tilt days or now in high stakes plo games. Probably should ask Galfond in his blog if you rly wanna know.

Yes sunday million is fishy, but thats not really high stakes and thats 1 tournament a week. The stakes are just to low and the games don't run often enough for you to get a great hourly playing MTT's.
      I know that the best 180 man players get around 100-200$/h and more then that its simply impossible since the games at higher stakes don't run often enough and your forced to mix in smaller stakes as well.

HU sng's i have no idea, but i doubt you can get a higher hourly then in lets say HU cash at nl5k. I think isildur has like 20bb winrate on PLO5k hu on stars. But this largely depends on how hard it is for you to get action and how long you have to wait.
      Yeah I agree here but if everyone knew that cash is has the best $/hour than everyone would have played that. Point is, its near impossible to archive that kind of skill level (and bankroll) to play at those stakes.
    • jules97
      jules97
      Bronze
      In most things in life, risk is proportional to reward.

That would point to MTT's having a greater reward due to their far greater variance. But their far greater variance is also a downside. Maybe you will never play enough tournaments to take advantage of the greater reward if you run bad.

There could be other factors involved, perahaps fish don't like to play MTT's as much as cash.
    • Wriggers
      Wriggers
      Bronze
      I think in the long run MTTs could edge cash for hourly, but only if you take into account the high stakes live MTTs, although if you're doing that you can say for cash you can mix in the high stakes fish filled live games as well.

for online it's cash and not even close imo
    • MatejM47
      MatejM47
      Black
      Originally posted by Wriggers
      I think in the long run MTTs could edge cash for hourly, but only if you take into account the high stakes live MTTs, although if you're doing that you can say for cash you can mix in the high stakes fish filled live games as well.

for online it's cash and not even close imo
      Yes but its so hard to play live MTT's for a living and imo almost impossible with out sponsorship. Apart from rake you have insanely high travel/hotel expenses so you need like 100% roi just to cover hotel bills and airplane tickets. Apart from that its hard to get in decent volume anytime apart from wsop and you can easily run bad from 200+ games which can take a year or even longer so you need a massive roll.

All in all when you take in all the other expenses you have with playing live since at best you will have 100% ROI longterm which means your making about 7.5k per game that takes 3-4 days to play and half of it or even more goes torward expenses.

The only way your making high hourly from mtt's is if you run rly good and manage to bink a few big ones or WSOP ME or something like that in which case your running massively above EV.
    • Benm473
      Benm473
      Bronze
      I think for online MTTS if you want to work out the yearly $of a winning player you can look up each sites individual first rated MTT players. Not saying that just anyone can achieve that but gives you an idea what the best may be making