Can't believe I lost 50 dollars in 3 days

• Berzerger
      Berzerger
      Bronze
      Hi everyone, I just wanted to say I lost my initial 50 dollars given to me by PokerStrategy on Titan Poker. I started out with playing NL Hold'em on the lowest limit, .01/.02, and rather quickly won another 10 dollars using SSS.

But then I thought it was going too slow for me, so I moved up to .05/.10 to speed up my wins. At first it was going great, and I even switched to big stack strategy after having read many articles about it. And I think that's when the misery started. I got sucked into big pots, and even though I occasionally won a pot, in the long run I kept either getting bad beats or just betting on a good hand and folding it when an opponent would put too much pressure.

I tried tight play, but I felt I was losing more with blinds than I was winning because the good cards just didn't come... So I loosened up and started playing more hands, as a result I kept losing money trying to bluff my opponents. Even switching back to SSS didn't help... And to make things worse, just today I had KK 3 times, I went all-in for 8 dollars 3 times, and 3 times I got beat because my opponent hit an ace on the flop... Now I don't even have enough money for a buy-in at a single table...

Did I have 3 really bad days or do I just suck so badly at poker it's time for me to give up on it?
  • 9 replies
    • justkyle88
      justkyle88
      Bronze
      Imo you shouldn't have moved up in limit's because your bankroll didn't suit the limit.
      Also sounds like you were playing hands preflop that you shouldn't of. loosening up trying to win back the money you lost when all it could have been was variance and a small downswing.

But i'm only silver status so ill let the big boys sort out your troubles.
    • deathride007
      deathride007
      Bronze
      I think if you did all this in 3 days you definately have to slow down in poker...
      You went up a limit because it was too slow? Thats not the right move, you have to move up a limit when you have the right amount of bankroll (about 100$ for SSS and even more for BSS). How can you learn to play good poker in just 3 days. You say you read many articles, but i know one you didnt read : bankroll management...
    • Berzerger
      Berzerger
      Bronze
      Originally posted by deathride007
      I think if you did all this in 3 days you definately have to slow down in poker...
      You went up a limit because it was too slow? Thats not the right move, you have to move up a limit when you have the right amount of bankroll (about 100$ for SSS and even more for BSS). How can you learn to play good poker in just 3 days. You say you read many articles, but i know one you didnt read : bankroll management...
      Actually, I've been playing for several months for play money, and for about three weeks with real money, but it was 3 days ago when I really started taking big losses. The weird thing is I never actually went on tilt, so that's why it's so sad to know I lost all my money. You're right about the bankroll though, I just read through the management article without paying too much attention, but I doubt that was my only problem...
    • lilprincess
      lilprincess
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Berzerger
      Originally posted by deathride007
      Actually, I've been playing for several months for play money
      lol?
    • cannell555
      cannell555
      Bronze
      1st of all play money, isn't poker, its useless, except for learning the basics and trying software out. You say things were going to slow, do you want to become a millionaire playing micros, over night? Concentrate on playing good poker, not money. If you concentrate on money, you should give up now. With good BRM you will probably be playing that limit for weeks, not 3 days then go to bigger tables. It makes me laugh, by going to bigger tables your just funding the winning players. You cant possibly even know if your a winning player after 3 days, IMO it takes months and months before you can say, yes i'm a winning player.

As for loosening your game, bad move. TAG is the only way for a begginer to win in the long run. Yes you might loosen up and win loads, thats just variance. You cant possibly have the correct skills to player weaker hands. Theres been times when I have waited 2-3 hours for a playable hand (12 tables), then all of a sudden there will be a wave of them. Waiting for them big hands is definaitly the best way. If your playing to BRM you wont miss your blinds, but as your playing way above BRM your noticing. IMO either give up, or go and play roulette. With that attitude towards the game you'll never be a winning player.
    • damaincontender
      damaincontender
      Bronze
      Originally posted by cannell555
      1st of all play money, isn't poker, its useless, except for learning the basics and trying software out. You say things were going to slow, do you want to become a millionaire playing micros, over night? Concentrate on playing good poker, not money. If you concentrate on money, you should give up now. With good BRM you will probably be playing that limit for weeks, not 3 days then go to bigger tables. It makes me laugh, by going to bigger tables your just funding the winning players. You cant possibly even know if your a winning player after 3 days, IMO it takes months and months before you can say, yes i'm a winning player.

As for loosening your game, bad move. TAG is the only way for a begginer to win in the long run. Yes you might loosen up and win loads, thats just variance. You cant possibly have the correct skills to player weaker hands. Theres been times when I have waited 2-3 hours for a playable hand (12 tables), then all of a sudden there will be a wave of them. Waiting for them big hands is definaitly the best way. If your playing to BRM you wont miss your blinds, but as your playing way above BRM your noticing. IMO either give up, or go and play roulette. With that attitude towards the game you'll never be a winning player.
      ´

+1
    • ATMleb
      ATMleb
      Bronze
      you must take into consideration that players playing real money may be tougher
    • Gerv
      Gerv
      Bronze
      Yes Titan Poker Software is really slow (~60 hands per hour whereas PartyPoker can peak up to 120 per hour) but that shouldn't reduce your discipline.

I think you should work on your betting pattern & evaluate your own plays regardless if the confrontation is frustrating or hard.

Just use the reload bonus after you have enough confidence to get back on track.
    • SoyCD
      SoyCD
      Bronze
      Originally posted by cannell555

Very nice post cannell555 :)

Hello Berzerger,

Having bad days is part of Poker. This is why Bankrollmanagement is so important. As soon as you started to play outside the bankroll management (e.g. you started playing BSS even though you did not have at least 25 full stacks of the limit) you were on the path to losing your bankroll. Even though you said you 'were not on tilt' - not moving down in limits once you don't have the proper bankroll - is an excellent example of what "tilt play" is all about.

As cannell said - in the beginning you should not think about quick money - but about improving your game. Re-read the articles on bankroll managment, and check out the articles in the psychology section. (e.g. Professional Attitude)

In my signature you have some links to our TAF section and the Summer Frenzy promotion with which you can give it another shot.

Best regards,
      SoyCD