[NL2-NL10] AQ - blind battle

• AYuraoA
      AYuraoA
      Bronze
      Hi there!

I decided to call preflop because he was only minraising and he was kinda active throughout the game so I didn´t expected too tight player. I planned to play fit or fold at first.

When he donked so low to me...I decided to just call because I interpret it as missed hands or very weak play so I planned to bet if I hit.

Then on the turn I didn´t hit and he donked again. A bit more this time. I think that these odds are not too good to call for one card so I decided to raise him as I still don´t think that there are too much things that beats me if he only donks so low. I planned to of course fold to his re raise and if he calls, Check fold on the river it is. Well he called and I got the free showdown in the end.

I think that it may have been better to raise the flop already.

Any advice?

Poker Stars, $0.02/$0.05 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 8 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

BTN: $6.07 (121.4 bb)
      Hero (SB): $2.29 (45.8 bb)
      BB: $2.16 (43.2 bb) 47/27 after just 15 hands...no more info. Unknown player.
      UTG+2: $5 (100 bb)
      MP1: $2 (40 bb)
      MP2: $10.78 (215.6 bb)
      MP3: $4.12 (82.4 bb)
      CO: $5.07 (101.4 bb)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A Q
      6 folds, Hero raises to $0.18, BB raises to $0.31, Hero calls $0.13

Flop: ($0.62) 7 7 5 (2 players)
      Hero checks, BB bets $0.15, Hero calls $0.15

Turn: ($0.92) J (2 players)
      Hero checks, BB bets $0.30, Hero raises to $0.90, BB calls $0.60

River: ($2.72) 3 (2 players)
      Hero checks, BB checks

Results:
      $2.72 pot ($0.11 rake)
      Final Board: 7 7 5 J 3
      Hero showed A Q and lost (-$1.36 net)
      BB showed K A and won $2.61 ($1.25 net)
  • 2 replies
    • JohnDoe1313
      JohnDoe1313
      Platinum
      Hello,

I would play openraise/fold or openraise/shove preflop. If you call, you are out of position and you will miss flop around 33% of the time. Also it's hard to tell what is the right postflop play without any additional info.

Since ranges are getting wider in blind versus blind situations and BB doesn't seem like a tight or reasonable player, I'm going broke preflop.
    • Gerv
      Gerv
      Bronze
      Originally posted by JohnDoe1313
      Since ranges are getting wider in blind versus blind situations and BB doesn't seem like a tight or reasonable player, I'm going broke preflop.
      With AQ playing against a reasonably aggro player, I would love to go all-in preflop every single time.

If you want to bluff him by check/raising then please shove instead of raising this small. I mostly advice you to have a plan before you see the Flop of what you are going to do on the Flop, Turn & River mostly because if you change your plan on every street, that's mostly not a good idea

- Gerv