LOL abusers

• Benm473
      Benm473
      Bronze
      Hey all,

I was playing at a table this evening and noticed the chat box was full of people abusing each other for being donks and fish. And the worst thing was that everyone was calling the fish fish too.

Now there seemed to be two categories of players here (three were arguing) one was an uber fish and the other two seemed fishy but hadn't been at the tables very long.

They were going on about probabilities how the site was rigged how the fish was a fish etc etc. Then they all started of spouting about how they made money and how the others couldn't etc.

So I decided to look it up and the two main abusers were both losing players and the uber fish may as well have made his notes into paper aeroplanes and thrown them off a cliff - more enjoyment to seem them fly.

I couldn't understand why three losing players would potentially make a fish play better as well as stop themselves concentrating and bring attention to the fact that they are losing players.

I don't really have a point in this rant but just wondered if other people had experienced this sort of stuff. I don't think I have ever read a good player commenting in the chat box

For some reason though even though there was a fish at the table I felt uncomfortable being there I took a decent pot off the fish and left lol. It was counter-logical I felt that despite being tracked as a winning player I would let myself down in front of these ranters and that the embaresment would tilt me.
  • 8 replies
    • badgerer
      badgerer
      Silver
      why do u care if these villains think your a donk?! they are not exactly qualified to judge are they... i dont think i would be leaving that table any time soon personally, this is exactly the type of situation i want to be in as a poker player.

i understand that you didnt feel comfortable so u left but thats a big leak imo, as a winning player you have a big edge on these types of tables. one thing that i find always helps whenever someone is annoying me in the chat is to just turn it off.

i think the reason these guys were 'educating' the whale is that they are playing with too much ego and therefore they value the opinion of their peers over optimal strategy. by berating and talking about strategy they are drawing attention to their 'superior' ability.
    • BObamaJr
      BObamaJr
      Bronze
      I can't stand when this happens. If they are a fish the logical move would be to support them and be nice to them in order to keep them at the table.

I guess most regs at NL25 are brain dead idiots.
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Originally posted by Benm473
      I couldn't understand why three losing players would potentially make a fish play better as well as stop themselves concentrating and bring attention to the fact that they are losing players.

I can think of a few possible reasons why people rant about other's play:
      They're tilting
      They're just assholes -- they do everything rudely, poker is no different.
      They have massive inferiority complexes and abusing other makes them feel better.
      They have massive superiority complexes, and want to educate everyone about how great they are, and oh yeah, pass on their wisdom.
      Did I mention they're just assholes?

Make a note and move on.

Oh, and if you ever DO suck out on one of these guys, and they start asking how you could make such a play, you can respond with, "I have a note here that says you're a sucker for such things". Even, "Oh, I played you before" will do.

Believe me, after that you don't want to be their dog.

Disclaimer: I never chat, actually, but that was sure fun to think about :D

Cheers,
      --BM
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      Chat off for me.

Regards,

Mal.
    • gxtwo
      gxtwo
      Bronze
      i usually have it on, great indicator if someone is tilting :) you also have the option of increasing there tilt with stupid comments :D

keep it fun though, no need to get abusive over a game of cards :D
    • Benm473
      Benm473
      Bronze
      Thanks for the great and amusing responses. Chat-off I think is the best option here and I think even looking in there is definately a leak. As I said I doubled up off the whale and didn't stay lol.

I definately could not believe that they were talking to an uber fish like that but as Vorpal mentions once you have seen it you have to not think about either one getting back at them or two making a bad play vs them.

It really is tempting to imagine their stack sliding over and making some comment like 'did I play that ok?' I almost posted their results as I'm sure that would have worked.

As soon as it got personal aka I was annoyed with their attitudes I left but yes in future will turn the chat-box off.
    • zobupasts
      zobupasts
      Bronze
      Basically players who abuse fish are donks. Winning players who abuse fish are scum of poker. If I see that a solid player is insulting a fish I almost always step in and try to make fun of the regular.

Originally posted by Benm473
      Chat-off I think is the best option here and I think even looking in there is definately a leak.
      I strongly disagree. You can get some useful info from chatbox. I recommend tuning chat off if you are one of those donks who insult fish.
    • metza
      metza
      Bronze
      Doyle Brunson's SuperSystem has a very well written and insightful section on this. Granted its for live poker but still applicable, worth checking out. Basically he just outlines how any smart player is never going to let a fish know they're playing fishy, and how winning players who abuse losing players are disgraceful and stupid, and that all the other winning players look down on them for making the fish go away.

I think the chatbox is good to look at to spot tilt. I generally only type in it myself on identical preflop all ins for the "nh lol" type thing with AA vs AA etc.

One thing you should not do that you were saying you were thinking about is posting the results of the losing players who are being abusive. I don't use SharkScope or other software myself but I am fairly sure it is a breach of the terms to use the data to insult another player and will get your SharkScope account banned. So don't do this. Also its just stooping to their level and ungentlemanly. :f_biggrin: