Is this a leak?

• DucksEatFish
      DucksEatFish
      Bronze
      I play NL10FR Zoom
      I've started varying my open-bet size a bit.
      If I have a strong hand UTG (TT+, AK), I tend to be 4BB instead of 3BB, and the same from B and SB (though with 77+, AT+).

For the UTG I'm thinking that I don't want an early 3BB caller giving later positions to good odds to call with drawy hands, and B / SB I want the blinds to pay me more.

Is this a bad strategy?
  • 8 replies
    • bennisboy
      bennisboy
      Bronze
      Originally posted by DucksEatFish
      I play NL10FR Zoom
      If I have a strong hand UTG (TT+, AK), I tend to be 4BB instead of 3BB, and the same from B and SB (though with 77+, AT+).

For the UTG I'm thinking that I don't want an early 3BB caller giving later positions to good odds to call with drawy hands, and B / SB I want the blinds to pay me more.

Is this a bad strategy?
      Don't vary by hand strength, anyone paying attention will be able to put you on a more accurate range.

I bet 4x in early positions, 3x in late position. That's the only time I vary. If I'm playing in EP, I want to make the villain pay more to have position on me
    • peche025
      peche025
      Bronze
      Originally posted by DucksEatFish
      I play NL10FR Zoom

Is this a bad strategy?
      It is a leak if you opponents notice, if they don't I think it's good play. However, anyone who's thinking will probably notice and there I would recommend not doing it.
    • Tominho89
      Tominho89
      Bronze
      You should't worry about it on NL10-25.
    • ChoChikun
      ChoChikun
      Bronze
      Originally posted by bennisboy
      If I'm playing in EP, I want to make the villain pay more to have position on me
      You like playing bigger pots out of position?
    • bennisboy
      bennisboy
      Bronze
      Originally posted by ChoChikun
      If I'm playing in EP, I want to make the villain pay more to have position on me
      No, but I want to charge the villain to play IP against me. Means I'm less likely to have to play OOP in a multi way pot
    • Tomaloc
      Tomaloc
      Bronze
      Originally posted by peche025
      It is a leak if you opponents notice, if they don't I think it's good play. However, anyone who's thinking will probably notice and there I would recommend not doing it.
      this
      on NL10 i'm pretty damn sure (nearly) no one cares, but on NL25 i'd rather drop that already.

as for raising big on EP, imo it's more like a way of telling your opponents that you're playing a strong dominating range and speculative hands will have to pay big $$$ to draw out on you.
    • JackxxRatt
      JackxxRatt
      Bronze
      It's a bad habit to get into period. If you're concerned about open raising your lesser hands as you would raise with AA from EP then just fold. No problems with raising less in late position when often we're stealing, again though your raises should be consistant whether you're holding AA or stealing light.
    • JackxxRatt
      JackxxRatt
      Bronze
      Originally posted by ChoChikun
      There's a whole bunch of hands we play 'sometimes' from EP, mostly for balance. We wont be raising small PP's everytime on an aggro table when we're expecting to be facing a 3bet everytime. We can comfortably play them on a tight table. It's not about playing bigger pots, it's about disguising our hand, it's for our opponents to work out what we're holding.