[NL2-NL10] Defending the BB flopped two pair

• fdel15
      fdel15
      Basic
      Defending the blinds is often so difficult and one of the many things I currently struggle with. Any feedback on how this hand was played would be great. I only have 100 hands on this opponent, but his stats are 26/14 and 44 raise first from the Bu.

Do you like flatting this hand preflop?
      Do you like the c/r on the flop?
      Do you lead out on the river?
      Do you call river shove?

Grabbed by Holdem Manager
      NL Holdem $0.20(BB) Replayer
      SB ($20.40)
      Hero ($39.29)
      UTG ($19.90)
      CO ($37.29)
      BTN ($36.25)

Dealt to Hero K:heart: J:diamond:

fold, fold, BTN raises to $0.60, fold, Hero calls $0.40

FLOP ($1.30) K:spade: J:spade: 5:heart:

Hero checks, BTN bets $0.80, Hero raises to $3, BTN calls $2.20

TURN ($7.30) K:spade: J:spade: 5:heart: 2:heart:

Hero bets $5, BTN calls $5

RIVER ($17.30) K:spade: J:spade: 5:heart: 2:heart: 4:spade:

Hero bets $8.50, [color=red]BTN raises to $27.65 (AI),
  • 1 reply
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      Hello fdel15,

Welcome to the nl 10 forum.

Defending the blinds is often so difficult and one of the many things I currently struggle with. Any feedback on how this hand was played would be great. I only have 100 hands on this opponent, but his stats are 26/14 and 44 raise first from the Bu.

- since BU opening raise is quite high I would likely 3-bet myself pref-lop (unless you have some 3-bet/4-bet war going on)
      If you don´t feel playing marginal hand oop then calling pf is also fine- against random open I think KJ is too good to just fold pf.

Do you like the c/r on the flop?
      - yeah, I think either leading or c/r are both fine options. Since players would expect you to 3-bet with JJ/KK then they only out your ranges KJ/55 and may easily make very light calldowns with tp hands if all the draws miss

Do you lead out on the river?
      - depends on my image- I think betting generally is a little better than c/c or c/f. I would definitely bet more to 12$, since if I try to make impression I´m bluffing I would not really bet that small and if you bet half pot or less then he would very lightly may shove his Asx hands as bluff.

Do you call river shove?
      - you don´t beat anything else than made hand turned into bluff- not sure that QsTx would ever consider shoving, so likely you sometimes may only see AsJx type hands. I think folding is mostly the best option, but I would prefer making that decision (b/f or b/c) before my river bet and adjust my bet size accordingly. If you don´t know whether to b/c or b/f then c/c seems better option (you don´t loose as much and can see showdown, also sometimes inducing bluff)

best regards,