Handling LAG opponent

• biogas
      biogas
      Gold
      Hi all,
      so got this situation on stt. Blind levels 100/200 and more, 5 or less ppl remaining with close stacks 10-20BB. Now one guys two positions on my right start (2nd chip lead, after myself) minraising somewhere up to 80% from nearly all positions. I start 3bet/push him quite light (up to 25%), but others fail to adjust. The result is he sometimes looses 2BB's to me, but on the same orbit gets back 3BB and keeps growing his stack. So as I can't make others to 3bet him, what are my options here to stop him? I imagine these lines:
      1. 3bet/push even wider, but I am still quite risk averse against him.
      2. min3bet only, and push any flop if called.
      3. Call light OOP and try to outplay/outflop ...
  • 4 replies
    • kurrkabin
      kurrkabin
      Bronze
      Hi, biogas!

And welcome to the english community SnG discussion forum.

It would be much better/easier if you can post a HH together with your thoughts here. As stack setup/people remaining play a huge rule into determining what the best play here is. Especially with the huge icm tax that comes when being 4-5-handed.

As a general rule- if he is a competent player, he knows how risk averse he is vs you as a midstack. So you can put a huge amount of pressure on him. On the other hand, if he knows that, he is not gonna open 80% of the time. Because if he does and you abuse him- he's just not decent. Bad players will not understand how risk averse they are here vs the other big stack and make mistakes such as r/c AJo or 88 f.e. Be aware of these players as this is an equity suicidal for both of you and the only ones who benefit from it are the 2 other shortstacks on the table.

3bet/push a wider range seems reasonable.

min3bet-push any flop- I don't like it as much. If he pushes, you will be very often committed to call with 10-20bb, therefore you can't make this play with a wide range. Generally, I don't 3bet/fold or 3bet/call for 10-20bb eff. I only 3bet push or fold w these effective stack sizes.

Flat OOP is also bad as effective stack sizes are very shallow, therefore there isn't much room for postflop play. You will be put all in on the turn. So I exclude this option right away.

If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Cheers!
    • jonnyjm
      jonnyjm
      Bronze
      Slightly miss leading title. I thought this thread was going to be about connection lag :facepalm: Don't mean to dis-rail thread or anything though.

But to answer you question you should shift your 3betting hands to those you will call off to a 4bet shove. Remember as he is a LAG your stacking off range should be a bit wider than normal. You can nit up also but if your playing SH you'll end up blinding yourself out if you nit up to much.
    • biogas
      biogas
      Gold
      Starting hand of the spot:

BTN: 3,805 (19 bb) (LAG)
      SB: 1,825 (9.1 bb)
      Hero (BB): 4,070 (20.4 bb)
      MP: 1,800 (9 bb)
      CO: 3,500 (17.5 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 6 A
      2 folds, BTN raises to 400, SB folds, Hero raises to 4,070 and is all-in, BTN folds

After this he min raises net two hands.
      The hand after is push from shorty.
      LAG raises my BB, I fold 95o.
      LAG raises my SB, I push 55.
      LAG raises, I fold A9o on BU, shortys fold.
      Shorty pushes.
      Shorty pushes.
      Shorty pushes, I fold A3s on BB.
      LAG raises, shorty push, LAG fold.
      LAG raises, I fold A3o on BU, shortys fold.
      All folds.
      LAG raises, everyone folds.
      Shorty runs into LAG's KK with 77.

BTN: 4,155 (13.9 bb) (LAG)
      SB: 1,125 (3.8 bb)
      Hero (BB): 4,570 (15.2 bb)
      MP: 2,200 (7.3 bb)
      CO: 2,950 (9.8 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 8 3
      MP raises to 2,200 and is all-in, CO folds, BTN raises to 4,155 and is all-in, 2 folds

Flop: (4,850) K Q A (2 players, 2 are all-in)
      Turn: (4,850) J (2 players, 2 are all-in)
      River: (4,850) J (2 players, 2 are all-in)

Results:
      4,850 pot
      Final Board: K Q A J J
      BTN showed K K and won 4,850 (2,650 net)
      MP showed 7 7 and lost (-2,200 net)

And similar stuff continues on the bubble.
    • kurrkabin
      kurrkabin
      Bronze
      Honestly, I am very cautious re-stealing loose players in these spots. Like f.e. this A6o type of hand. This is a pretty loose re-steal. It's probably ok if you really know that BTN opens a super wide range(say 80%), but only calls top 10-15% or so. I think a lot of these players will be ready to spew and spite call you once you start running over them. Meaning he will come in with JTs, KQo, pocket 44 and other hands that will do nothing but harm to both of you as it's the shortstacks that benefit from your war.

Be really careful. Vs fishes I usually tend to re-steal mostly value range as I said before- they will raise/call way too often and it's unprofitable to re-steal with semi-bluffing hands such as SC, low pairs or blockers. There is a high ICM tax due to the fact that you two are the big stacks and the table is being 5-handed. He prolly doesn't understand that though and will adjust his calling range to be very tight(as it should).