Paluzzo

• Paluzzo
      Paluzzo
      Bronze
      Hi,

My name is Filipe, i'm from Portugal and i'm 25 years old. I begin playing poker in 2009 at the form of SNG's. I had some stops on the way and in the beginning of this year i taked it a bit more seriously on the Fixed Limit.

My objective is to make a part-time from the poker.

Thanks
  • 9 replies
    • Paluzzo
      Paluzzo
      Bronze
      Question 1: What is your motivation for playing poker? My motivation is the money i can possible win. I like to compete, and poker is a big challenge.

Question 2: What are your weaknesses when playing poker? My main weakness in NLH is the leak of knowledge. I was into the Fixed Limit and now that i decided to change, i've to study almost all from the beginning (excluding one or two things). But, i'm working on it. The hardest thing for me as been the post flop play.

Question 3: What does it mean to play tight aggressive?
      Tight agressive means that you select the cards you play, and when you do play them, you play agressively.
      I think it works, because with your selection of good hands together with the fact that you play it agressively, you force your opponents to make mistakes, once they have to decide 'under preassure'.

Sorry about the english.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Welcome to the Course and Best of Luck. Good job! Homework #1 Done!

What about tilt? Do you adjust something against it? For example:
      Easiest way to fight against tilt is to set up stop-loss technique. Which means if you for example have lost more than 3BIs for a session then you just stop the session for some time. The BI amount is set up from your own results. Some may put it higher, some lower. Also after the stop you can spend some time with evaluation part to become better.

Most of the weakness you wrote can easily be fixed by posting hands (analyzing your session). We will start writing feedback to your play. Usually negative feedback will put you into thinking phase and trying to fix all those leaks. It's almost the same as you lose money, you will remember it more than winning part. By this situation it's gonna be that negative feedback you gonna remember and try to avoid them next time.

Tight style is usually called playing selected hands. Like following the Starting Hand Chart. Aggressive should be also pretty clear that already the word says how you should be playing. But the problem playing aggressively is that you have to watch that you don't play too aggressive. Find good spots, find good targets. About The tight-aggressive strategy you can read in this article: "What is the Big Stack Strategy?"

Hopefully you will enjoy the Course.
    • Paluzzo
      Paluzzo
      Bronze
      Hi veriz,

About the tilt, i stop at 2,5-3 BI down.

The homework:
      Question 1: What do you think you could play differently than suggested in the BSS Starting Hands Chart and why?
      I think we can steal more and play some hands with more agression. We can wide our range in BU and CO in order to steal (depending on the opp), and we can be more agressive in order to isolate a limper, once the EV could be bigger.
      I think we do not have always to raise AK. Ex: If a tight player raise from UTG, maybe its better just to call it than to raise and face a shove from de opp.

Question 2: Do you have questions about your preflop play?
      Here is the link:
      http://pt.pokerstrategy.com/forum/thread.php?threadid=91819

I posted the hand in the Portuguese comunity foruns.

Question 3: What is the equity of AKo against the top 5% range? 5% means 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo. The equity of AK is around 46,36%

Tks!
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #2 Done!

Totally agree with you about the stealing ranges. Against specific opponents we adjust, either wider range or tighter range. Against some shorties you can even steal with smaller raise, for example 3xBB. But don't overdo the stealing situations. Sometimes you might just put yourself into too many difficult spots if opening with marginal hands. As for example stealing too many hands from SB and being out of position.

Isolating can be very profitable actually since people on lower stakes take the fast and easy line by just Fit/Folding too much. With that you will earn in long run a lot profit. Which means you can isolate with even wider range, sometimes even with the all range which you planned to limp.

About AK mainly depends what position we are on and how many opponents we have behind us. If we have too many of them behind us then it's safer to 3bet and take the initiative and reevaluate the further actions. Cause AKo isn't really doing very well being in multiway pot. Although AKs can still be played even in multiway pots.

About Question #3:

Equity     Win     Tie
      UTG    46.32%  37.92%   8.41% { AKo }
      UTG+1  53.68%  45.27%   8.41% { 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo }

Hopefully you enjoy the Course so far.
    • Paluzzo
      Paluzzo
      Bronze
      Question 1: You are holding KQ. What is your preflop equity against an opponent who has 33? How does the equity change on this flop: J53? (Tip: you can use the Equilab to help you with this task.)

The pre flop KQs equity is 50.42%
      The flop equity is of: 26.46%

Question 2: What would you do in the following hand? (Remember that it is important to explain your reasons, simply posting "Fold" or "Call" isn't enough!)
      No Limit hold'em $2 (9-handed)

Players and stacks:
      UTG: $2.00
      UTG+1: $2.08
      MP1: $1.92
      MP2: $1.00
      MP3: $3.06
      CO: (Hero) $2.08
      BU: $2.00
      SB: $2.00
      BB: $1.24
      Preflop: Hero is CO with AJ
      5 folds, Hero raises to $0.08, BU calls $0.08, SB folds, BB calls $0.06.
      Flop: ($0.25) 263 (3 players)
      BB checks, Hero checks, BU checks.
      Turn: ($0.25) 5 (3 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $0.22, BU raises to $0.44, BB folds, Hero...?

I would call, cause i'm getting pot odds of 4,1:1 to make my flush.

Question 3: Do you have questions about your postflop play? Post your hand for evaluation. (Post your hand in the hand evaluation forum and provide a link to your hand in your private thread in the Locker Room.)

Here is a hand who i posted in the Portuguese foruns:
      http://pt.pokerstrategy.com/forum/thread.php?threadid=92613

Thank You
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #3 Done!

About Question #1:
      Preflop Equity:

Equity Win Tie
      UTG 50.78% 50.40% 0.38% { KsQs }
      UTG+1 49.22% 48.84% 0.38% { 3d3c }

Postflop Equity:

Board: J:spade: 5:diamond: 3:spade:
      Equity Win Tie
      UTG 26.46% 26.46% 0.00% { KsQs }
      UTG+1 73.54% 73.54% 0.00% { 3d3c }

About Question #2:
      There are several occasions on turn:
      a) If we take just odds for the FD and we take into account that all our odds are clean. Which means:
      Total Pot = $0,91 ; We have to Call = $0,22 -> According to that it means we are getting ~4,16:1 odds. For flushdraw we would need 4:1. Which tells us that we are getting perfect odds.
      b) If we consider the opponent having sets here:
      Which means we have to discount outs, for example 6 and also 3. Which means we have 7 clean outs so that means we need 6:1 odds. That tells us that we need ~$0,41 on river to make it profitable. If we expect the opponent being loose enough and being able to pay us no-matter what then we can do the Call here properly.
      c) We might even have overcards as outs or even 4 as a out:
      Although this kind of situation ain't that likely. I'd rather discount that one and either pick a) or b). Most likely towards Call.

You are doing great progress, keep going!
    • Paluzzo
      Paluzzo
      Bronze
      Question 1: Post a hand for evaluation in which you have the initiative postflop.

NL5 QQ Cbh turn

Question 2: Evaluate one of the hands submitted by other members.

Nl4-Tt

Question 3: You are on the flop with KQ. The board cards are J, 9, 8, and your opponent holds 77. What is your equity in this spot?

My equity is of 41.41%

Thank You
    • Paluzzo
      Paluzzo
      Bronze
      Hi veriz,

Could you please give me your advise about a good book to buy when i'm looking up to be better in my NLHE FR?

I'm currently playing NL5.

Thanks.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #4 Done!

One of the books which will definitely help you is "Mental Game of Poker", although overall I'd strongly advice just to strictly follow the PokerStrategy articles, there is a lot better and updated content than a lot of books lack cause they ain't updated and rather old.

This weeks homework was a bit easier. But the idea of that is to help you go through last weeks stuff if you didn't go through everything. Or either way maybe even read some more articles, watch some videos and of course attend in the coaching. What will also help for your game is the evaluation part of other members hands and of course posting your own hands.

If you have interests you could try calculating the equity with a formula which you can use even on tables(either playing online or live poker):
      (Amount of outs x 4) – (Amount of outs – 8) = Your Equity

About Question #3:

Board: J:spade: 9:club: 8:heart:
             Equity     Win     Tie
      UTG    41.41%  41.41%   0.00% { KsQd }
      UTG+1  58.59%  58.59%   0.00% { 7h7c }

Hopefully this wasn't too easy homework for you.