[NL2-NL10] Value Raise or only better hands can call?

• Deomedes
      Villain is totally unknown second hand playing with him so i found myself more comfortable cold calling pre-flop.

On the flop i think there is no reason to raise and isolate myself with the top of his range. Plus it is always good to see an Ace coming on the turn, rare but beautifull :D .

On the turn i pick extra equity and i can call a bet more. I have top pair top kicker on the turn marginal but still a made hand , plus a flush draw. If i do not improve i am comfortable calling half pot in most river cards. A raise folds all his bluffs again (though i have no reason to believe he is bluffing or that he is not) and gets a shove by all his value range, which i cannot call.

On the river i hit my flush, and I literraly spent half minute thinking if there is any value in raising. What do you think? What is the general advice here since villain is unknown?

PartyGaming - $0.10 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 6 players
      Hand converted by PokerTracker 3

MP: $12.97
      Hero (CO): $10.32
      BTN: $10.00
      SB: $12.84
      BB: $10.00
      UTG: $34.19

SB posts SB $0.05, BB posts BB $0.10

Pre Flop: ($0.15) Hero has A :spade: T :spade:

fold, MP raises to $0.30, Hero calls $0.30, fold, fold, fold

Flop: ($0.75, 2 players) 3 :club: 8 :spade: T :heart:
      MP bets $0.54, Hero calls $0.54

Turn: ($1.83, 2 players) 3 :spade:
      MP bets $1.30, Hero calls $1.30

River: ($4.43, 2 players) 7 :spade:
      MP bets $3.15, Hero ?

Then i thought "It is NL10 he can call with JJ"
      Hero raises to $6.83, MP raises to $10.83 and is all-in , Hero ;( calls $1.35 and is all-in
      Hero shows A :spade: T :spade: (Flush, Ace High) (Pre 48%, Flop 89%, Turn 95%)MP shows 7 :club: 7 :heart: (Full House, Sevens full of Threes) (Pre 52%, Flop 11%, Turn 5%)MP wins $19.79
  • 2 replies
    • veriz
      Hello Deomedes,

Seems to be fine, difficult to just Call there while the guy could easily even have overpairs there which may pay us off.

Best Regards.
    • Deomedes
      Hi Veriz, I thought that too. No way to leave out of a situation like that without strong reads. But even with reads i haven't come out to be a player to do otherwise (well not yet i hope) in situations like these.
      Like yesterday i had a guy playing 8/6, 3bet me (3bet 0% in 70 hands) when i got QQ and though i knew i was crushed i could not press the fold button. I might spend time thinking of it but i still could not.
      So i called oop with no odds to set mine and i was like "give me a K or an A on the flop to fold comfortably". Finally, i got stacked off on low board vs AA of course and i felt like a complete idiot paying off a guy that doesn't deserve it by playing nit passive.
      Bad feeling trying hard to improve and still feelling that in some aspects of the game you haven't done a thing. But i guess everything comes with experience, trial and error :)

Best Regards.