How Often do you check your Bankroll/Winrate?

• CheckBop
      CheckBop
      Bronze
      Just wondered how often people check their Bankroll or winnings? I used to be checking it several times a session which I just found super -EV as you become more attached to $ swings in both directions.

Recently started playing PLO so even more important that I made an effort to stop this and am managing to go without checking any $ results more than once every few days. Want to improve so that I can check only once every week or even month.

How do you guys find it? Do you avoid checking or does curiosity get the better of you and does it affect your game?

Check.
  • 8 replies
    • jonnyjm
      jonnyjm
      Bronze
      I check my BR once a day unless: I know i'm on a heater or know I've lost multiple buy-in's.

As for my win rate not so much. I taken out BB/100 and only look at $/100. It's there in front of me whenever i browse my database, but i rarely put any emphasis on checking/worrying about my winrate until i'm thinking about moving up.
    • zobupasts
      zobupasts
      Bronze
      Depending on your bankroll management I think checking your bankroll once a weak or in a few days is fine but definitely not after every 20BB+ pot or every ten minutes. The less buy-in BRM you use the more often you should check if you don't have to move down a limit. Think about the right plays and not your short term success.

I usually check my cashier once a month.
    • backstabber
      backstabber
      Basic
      I play hyper HUSNG and i used to check after every game if that was possible (fyi that lasts like 3 minutes on avg). I checked my holdem manager to see how much i ran over/under EV and then i checked how much money i won/lost. I mean it pretty much became an obsession checkin results so often and it's very bad for your mindset especially with a game that has alot of variance like hyper-turbo games or PLO.

I also checked my winrate over a time period, then i felt sorry/bad for myself if i ran alot under EV, or i felt even worse when i was running above EV and still not winning alot of money, because that meant i just sucked.

I suggest a step-by-step approach. For me i got from every few minutes to once a session and now i try once a day. I still want to see my results after my day is over because it wouldn't affect me the day after. It really helps not being too focussed on the money and just try to play as much and as good as you can.
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Only when I go busto and I have to reload

:coolface:
    • ragney
      ragney
      Bronze
      About 4-5 times a week here. Some days I don't watch. I'm trying to watch less because BRM is not an issue with 500 stacks :)

I should be watching it like once or twice per month, trying to watch it once mid-month and once end-month. Thats a nice goal for me at least.
    • DeMarcohsp
      DeMarcohsp
      Bronze
      Once a month mostly and more often when taking shots. I play NLSH
    • Maloco87
      Maloco87
      Bronze
      I check my bankroll way to often and I do feel it affects my game which is maybe even what caused me to throw a poker chip at the screen of my laptop last week which is now costing me £90 to fix

I will have a few days off the virtual felt now while its getting fixed so I can do other things I should have done months ago ie. college assignments lol

With a round a 40 BI BR I shouldnt worry so much so I will make a few changes when I start to play again
    • Paddii
      Paddii
      Bronze
      i think tilt breaker can prevent you looking at your $'s which might be useful if its -EV to keep looking.

I predominantly play tournaments, i usually don't check my bankroll unless i make a deep run and then i just revel in my own glory for a few minutes until i calm down and then its back to business :D

BUT as far as win rate goes i usually check it on a weekly basis on http://www.officialpokerrankings.com. Which i think is a great way to motivate myself and try and try to improve on the next week :)