Two Pair Question

• prime333
      prime333
      Basic
      Sometimes I’m in a pot and we both have the same two pair and I lose the pot because of kicker problem. Sometimes I have two pair we have the same two pair I have a better kicker and it’s a split pot. What are the rules regarding two pair when both guys have two pair.
  • 6 replies
    • Krishjanis
      Krishjanis
      Bronze
      So first thing that new players don't know that the final hand in Holdem is made up from 5 cards.
      One person can have 2 pair like KK and QQ and the other can have AA and 22 and the person with the highest pair wins, in this case the guy with AA.
      If they both have the same pair like KK then to determine the winner you look at the second pair, so for example if you both have KK and you have 22 but the other guy has 33 he wins the pot.
      If you both have the same 2 pair, like KK QQ and if you both have KQ then of course you will chop the board because the kicker will be on the board.
      If you have kicker in your hand, for example you hand is K9, the board is KQQ75 then you have 2 pair with a 9 kicker and if the other guy is holding a K then he has 2 pair as well, but you have an 9 kicker so unless he has a higher kicker than 9 he wins the pot, if he has the exact same hand as you K9 then you chop, but if he has something like K8 then you win because of your higher kicker that you were holding.
      Could it be the case that in some hands you were holding for example K8 and the other guy had K7 and the board was KQQ92 then you both had 2 pair, but you both took the kicker from the board which would be 9, but you thought that your 8 would beat his 7?

I hope you understand what I wrote here :D
    • zobupasts
      zobupasts
      Bronze
      If you have these kind of questions you should definitely read/reread all basic articles that PokerStrategy has for beginner players in the "Strategy" section.
    • ItsTeddyKGB
      ItsTeddyKGB
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Krishjanis

I hope you understand what I wrote here :D
      Probably not since it's a wall of text.
    • Tomaloc
      Tomaloc
      Bronze
      simple version: take the 5 best cards and see what happens

that's ALL there is to it really. in some cases you might want to check twice to see if the board has a better kicker than yours and that's it
    • GraemeDR
      GraemeDR
      Bronze
      If the board has a better kicker than yours you would automatically play the board. I can see you play a lot so I'm assuming something is lost in translation here.

To the original poster, I'm saying this to help and not to be rude... If you don't see why you're not winning some hands when you think you both have the same hands, hold off playing for real money before you spunk the lot. Go back to basics and re read. You're not going to know everything g there is to know before you plays, even the best on the world never stop learning and thinking about hands but you've got to have basics down before you play for money online.

You make the best hand you can using 5 of the 7 cards available to you. If both players have two pair the highest pair wins. If the same the highest second pair wins. If both pairs held by both players the highest card available in addition to the two pairs becomes your kicker. If you have a higher kicker you win, a lower kicker you lose. If you both have the same two pair and the same kicker you split the pot and only the house wins as you both lose rake.

Good luck, and don't be afraid to ask anything.
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze
      Morning guys,

You understand it all now prime333?

Don't worry you will soon learn to read the board in a split second, just takes a bit of practice. As the guys have said already go back and read the beginners articles again. You may think you picked everything up first time round but it always helps to read through it again just in case you missed something or just to help it stick in your mind a bit more :)

Enjoy your Sunday
      Carl