Blind steal vs table image

• newsat
      newsat
      Bronze
      I think many steal makes my table loose.

How about playing very tightly, not stealing w/ weak steal hand until high blind(about 200/400 on 2000) ?

Then begining very aggressive play (any 2 push, resteal, agg bubble play etc)!

I think very tight table image helps very aggressive play on high blind a lot.
  • 3 replies
    • kurrkabin
      kurrkabin
      Bronze
      Hi, newsat :P

Welcome here as well.

Well it really depends. Back in the day I remember video producers were suggesting playing very tight during the low blind levels and then loosing up and stealing very wide when the blinds are a big portion of our stack-hence it makes it more useful and important for us to steal. I agree this all makes sense, but there is also a few other things to consider:

-when you steal the blinds, you usually have a position on your opponent(SB is an exception), which is a huge help.
      -if the blinds are fishy opponents, not only you can outplay them postflop, but also they will make a lot of mistakes and light stack offs, which you benefit from.
      -regs on low 9-10man stakes usually don't defend blinds much by either 3betting lite + or flatting oop, not to mention it's gonna be very hard for them to show profit OOP vs another reg.
      -when eff. stack sizes decrease, a good reg is gonna spot what you do and still 3bet-shove over your raises with a relatively wide range- any suited ace, any pair, broadway, mid-high suited connectors and such. So you don't actually gain that many chips lately as regs will 3bet a lot with 10-21-22bb eff.
      -fishes will still keep on flatting as they don't pay much attention to eff. stack sizes and table images. And it's harder to play postflop with reduced stack sizes as you have less mobility. Even IP.

That's why I love to open a loosish 50% range towards suited vs fishy opponents and play with them postflop with deep stack sizes IP. Of course you don't have to, but it helps.

Of course table image matters and it's easier to steal the blinds when people give you credit, but both strategies have their pros and cons. I mostly play 5-6 max 70:30 pay out where aggression is much better appreciated and stealing the blinds loose is a must even when deep stacked. In a 50:30:20 you don't have to worry that much as blinds past you less often.
    • Angelface21
      Angelface21
      Bronze
      So you don't actually gain that many chips lately as regs will 3bet a lot with 10-21-22bb eff.Originally posted by kurrkabin

What you mean here is that with these stacksize regs will usually 3bet shove?

Welcome here as well.

Well it really depends. Back in the day I remember video producers were suggesting playing very tight during the low blind levels and then loosing up and stealing very wide when the blinds are a big portion of our stack-hence it makes it more useful and important for us to steal. I agree this all makes sense, but there is also a few other things to consider:

-when you steal the blinds, you usually have a position on your opponent(SB is an exception), which is a huge help.
      -if the blinds are fishy opponents, not only you can outplay them postflop, but also they will make a lot of mistakes and light stack offs, which you benefit from.
      -regs on low 9-10man stakes usually don't defend blinds much by either 3betting lite + or flatting oop, not to mention it's gonna be very hard for them to show profit OOP vs another reg.
      -when eff. stack sizes decrease, a good reg is gonna spot what you do and still 3bet-shove over your raises with a relatively wide range- any suited ace, any pair, broadway, mid-high suited connectors and such. So you don't actually gain that many chips lately as regs will 3bet a lot with 10-21-22bb eff.
      -fishes will still keep on flatting as they don't pay much attention to eff. stack sizes and table images. And it's harder to play postflop with reduced stack sizes as you have less mobility. Even IP.

That's why I love to open a loosish 50% range towards suited vs fishy opponents and play with them postflop with deep stack sizes IP. Of course you don't have to, but it helps.

Of course table image matters and it's easier to steal the blinds when people give you credit, but both strategies have their pros and cons. I mostly play 5-6 max 70:30 pay out where aggression is much better appreciated and stealing the blinds loose is a must even when deep stacked. In a 50:30:20 you don't have to worry that much as blinds past you less often.
    • kurrkabin
      kurrkabin
      Bronze
      Yes! Exactly : )