Blind stealing & continuation bets

• asteele82
      asteele82
      Bronze
      I'm really struggling with this part of my game.

It seems everytime I am on the small blind/big blind, the blind is raised by the button if not by the cut-off or a general raise previous.

I feel like I have no option but to fold with most hands, A,X etc. If I call I always face a 2/3-pot sized continuation bet, if I've missed it's a fold, if I hit I am unsure if I'm behind. If I'm holding a small pair I always seem to be beat when I call down to showdown.

These guys I am playing seem to be happy to throw in money if they have a hand or not.. But I'm quite tired of having my raise/re-raises or calling down to showdown and losing each time.

And when it comes to blind stealing. This is the worst part. I can never steal. Again, I try to steal and I am either re-raised (just now as I type this I am re-raised 3* and having to fold) or I am called, I miss the flop & continuation bet and I'm called, if I check they bet..

The only time I seem to be able to 'steal' a blind is when I have an actual hand..

If someone can give me some advice it'll be great, though I think on the tables I play at people are really attached to their 5c/10c blinds..
  • 6 replies
    • YohanN7
      YohanN7
      Bronze
      You will surely get good advice (edit: by later posters).

One thing to keep in mind. Don't do anything you feel uncomfortable with.

I have a hunch that people will tell you to 3-bet. While that is sometimes good advice, don't just throw in the third bet and have no clue what to do if 4-bet or called.

Remember, you are supposed to lose money in the blinds.

Also, if they bluff too much, don't bluff more yourself in order to stop them. On the contrary, induce even more bluffs instead.

/Johan = :f_confused:
    • Stevie8
      Stevie8
      Bronze
      try to guess what range of hands they play. A loose aggressive player might raise with absolutely anything from the button, for example. Against this kind of players you have to be patient and strike once when you're sure you have them beat(be careful not to be too tight overall cause this will make them realise they're in a bad situation and fold).

it's all about adjusting to your opponents. try using a poker tracker system, it helps a lot.

hoped it helped :)
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Do you have a HUD?
      If you do, add the "attempt to steal", "Fold vs Steal", and "Fold vs Resteal" stats.

If you sit at a table where the 2 players on your left defend a lot -- move.

also observe the two players on your right, if they steal a lot, look for opportunities to 3Bet rather than call.

If you have Equilab, do this:
      Give the BB KJo
      Give the BU the "FR Open Raising Chart (ORC) - Tight" Range -- you'll find this in the Predefined ranges tree on the right hand side of the Hand Range Selection tool under "PokerStrategy.com - No Limit"

Against even a tight button, you have 47% equity.
      If you 3Bet this, he only needs to fold just over a third of the time to be profitable.

I suggest that the next session you play, that you take several hands where you think that you should have defended, and post them in the hand evaluation forums.

BTW, you don't say what limit you're playing.

Finally, I'm going to move this post to the strategy section, since after all, it is a strategy question.

Cheers,
      --VS

Disclaimer: I am NOT a poker expert!!!
    • holmeboy
      holmeboy
      Bronze
      There are some good videos on this subject:

Blind Play

Vorpal's advice seems like a good start. Having a HUD definitely helps. Table selection is also important.

If you post some stats/hands we might be able to comment a bit more.
    • nefarious26
      nefarious26
      Bronze
      just fold your blinds until you get better

when your on button adjust your steal range to how good/bad the blind players are,

if there is a decent reg in the blinds who plays back alot i will tighten up my range or i could even leave the table if its pretty tight but then again i cant help myself 4 bet bluffing as its fun

if there is bad players in the blinds its the opposite
    • mkjmkjmkj
      mkjmkjmkj
      Bronze
      3bet them a lot if they are stealing alot
      and if they calling your 3bets alot just have wide value 3betting range thats a good situation since there range is ofen capped.
      if they fold to your 3bets or if they call you and fold to alot of cbets you can also 3bet hands like suited connetcters or Axs Kxs

if they are calling your cbets dont cbet as much
      cbet the flops which hit your range like broadway cards