deviation from MSS

• zedkay
      zedkay
      Bronze
      Hi all, I just started playing poker and also using MSS on poker 770.

In reading the posts here, it looks like people are deviating from the instructions and I am wondering under which circumstances this is done?
  • 4 replies
    • JohnDoe1313
      JohnDoe1313
      Diamond
      Hello,

we don't deviate from MSS ;) We mostly deviate from starting hands chart.

SHC doesn't take into account many factors. If you see a profitable situation which is not in the chart, you can deviate. But you have to have reads or stats for that.

Let me show you a simple example:

Party, $0.05/$0.10 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

Hero (BTN): $3.55 (35.5 bb)
      UTG: $13 (130 bb)
      SB: $2.80 (28 bb) - VPIP: 11, PFR: 10, 3B: 5, AF: 4.0, Hands: 155
      BB: $2.65 (26.5 bb) - VPIP: 8, PFR: 8, 3B: 0, AF: 0.0, Hands: 40
      CO: $13.28 (132.8 bb)
      MP: $14.92 (149.2 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BTN with 8 9
      3 folds, Hero raises to $0.25, 2 folds

Results:
      $0.25 pot
      Hero mucked 8 9 and won $0.25 ($0.15 net)

There are two shortstacks in the blind. Both are very tight. I'm raising this hand despite it's not in SHC, because I get their blinds very often. If they defend, I can simply give up. Also, I didn't use standart 3bb sizing. The reason is if they defend, they'll 3bet me (= not coldcall) most of the time so I make my steal cheaper for me.

Hopefully it makes sense to you. You have to just observe the table and pick your spot. As your experience grows, you will be able to notice this kind of spots more often.
    • zedkay
      zedkay
      Bronze
      Thanks, so how would I know that the 8,9s that you used was worth using?

I see all kinds of references to good and bad starting hands, but aside from the SHC I don't have a way of deciding.

I know that experience is a good teacher, but until then is there something other than SHC?
    • GraemeDR
      GraemeDR
      Bronze
      Exactly as stated above, things like stealing the blinds more often when the players in the blinds are very tight are obvious deviations. If you're dealt aces or kings in early position at an aggressive table you might do something like limp to get raised, then 3 bet and hope they shove on you. (this is not advisable very often, you should really be raising aces no matter what, and when you don't action don't worry). You might introduce suited connectors in late position when the price is right. You'll pick up things that work for you and how to read situations by playing and reading more. You'll find what works for you. Best thing when you're beginning is stick to the charts.

You might deviate in how you play your hands, but your bank roll mamagent, buy-in and out limits should not. Always Stick to your BRM.
    • JohnDoe1313
      JohnDoe1313
      Diamond

Thanks, so how would I know that the 8,9s that you used was worth using?
      Because blinds are tight = they will fold often enough to my bet. My hand doesn't really matter here even though good hand choice in this spot would be Ax, Kx, Qx, because you block few combinations of premiums in your opponents ranges (with Ax - AJ+, AA, with Kx KK, AK etc.)

I see all kinds of references to good and bad starting hands, but aside from the SHC I don't have a way of deciding.
      GraemeDR said it and I aggre with him (but I don't like limping premiums :f_biggrin: ).

I know that experience is a good teacher, but until then is there something other than SHC?
      Well, there is not another advanced chart, which tells you what can you do differently from SHC. I advise you to study, analyze your hands, visit handjudge forums, participate in coachings. You cannot expect to be a good poker player over night.