This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

Calculating expected value of an all-in in HU HYPERTURBO

• petersveter
      petersveter
      Bronze
      Hey. It's the first hand of the heads up hyperturbo. We both have 500 chips. I have A3o and I am on the BB. The SB raises to 100. I go all-in.

What is the expected value of an all-in? (If I am right, we are calculating the CHIP EV, as it is the same as cash game right?)

So first I expect him to call me with smthng like A6o+, A5s+, KQo, KQs, KJs, 55+.
      Vs this range I had aprox. 33 %equity.
      I expect him to fold 10 % of the time.

So I have to calculate the average value I gain when he a) folds b)calls and I lose c) calls and I win and than sum it up right?

So the equation will be smthng like this? 10% x 100 CHIPS (when he folds) - 67% x 90% x 500 CHIPS (when he calls and I lose) + 33% x 90% x 500 CHIPS (when he calls and I win= expected value of smthng. like -120 CHIPS ?

Because I was watching one video, where the coach was saying that he really liked the all in against the unknown in the first hand, and I was like wtf. I just want to know how to calculate this myself. Thanks Cheers
  • 6 replies
    • petersveter
      petersveter
      Bronze
      please someone help me, im hopeless :f_cry:
    • Leito99
      Leito99
      Bronze
      that's the correct formula except that he wouldn't only fold 10% of the time.. he would fold much more

assumming the following ranges, which would be standard for many regs, opening 75% and calling a shove 15%, it would mean that he is folding 80% of the time and not 10% as you said in your calculations
    • petersveter
      petersveter
      Bronze
      Yeah but its not a reg cause he's opening 100 chips on the first hand. It's obviously a crazy fish. And a crazy fish that opens t100 out of t500 that he has behind just wants to gamble in my opinion. So I think he is folding max. 20 %.

Or am I being too pessimistic?
    • daun666
      daun666
      Bronze
      Just fold, at beast its really marginaly +ev, if he opens 5x first hand = fish, you will have later spots to to get max +ev.

Also imo most likely its -ev, vs connected offsuit hands you are around 40:60 fav, vs connected suited 50:50 and a ton of his range dominates you 70:30 + i have seen people 4x fold but not 5x fold so fold equity is very very low, Im sure someone is able to 5x fold :D
    • CollinMoshman
      CollinMoshman
      Coach
      Coach
      Assuming the big blind is $20, Villain opens top 40% and calls top 20%, your EV would be:

50% x $120 + 50% x (-480 + 42% x $1000)

I.e. 50% he folds (given my simplified assumptions above of a 40% open and 20% call, feel free to change accordingly) and you win his $100 open + your $20 blind as we're calculating EV relative to folding, and 50% he calls in which case you are paying 480 to get back the 42% equity (that A3o has against a range of top 20%) in a $1000 pot.
    • petersveter
      petersveter
      Bronze
      Oh thanks collin. Thats a simplified method of what I wrote right? But my method is more natural for me, it comes to me without thinking about a way of calculating it.

So according to you Collin it is a +t30 EV push right? But isn't it a bit too optimistic to say that he folds 50% of the time?