Doyle Brunsen's Super System and SS2

• GraemeDR
      GraemeDR
      Bronze
      I've just bought Super System and Super System 2 from amazon oncludong postage they came to £20 combined. Have I just bought the same book twice with a few extras or was it worth buying both? Now that there is so much strategy available online on forums etc do people find that doyle brunson's books have still been good investments?

They'll arrive in about 5 days, until then I'd appreciate your thoughts/comments on my questions and any other super system comments you may have.

Thanks
  • 5 replies
    • sirilidion
      sirilidion
      Bronze
      It is at least a good book for some pokerhistory. There are defiantly better books on pokerstrategy imo. Don't know if 1 and 2 are the same only bought 1 before I came here at pokerstrategy. You can learn more from all the articles and video's here imo
    • Phoenix2104
      Phoenix2104
      Bronze
      The NLHE part is essentially the same in both books plus it's not that useful any more with so many other sources available for knowledge. But the sections for the other games are still good and you save the money to buy different books for every game, if you play other games that is.
    • autheking
      autheking
      Silver
      Its pretty outdated,you can read it and have a good laugh,his winning strategy is playing his rushes! . I would recommend Analytical No Limit Hold'em by Thomas Bakker, it is the best poker book I have ever read.
    • YohanN7
      YohanN7
      Bronze
      Super System II is good. It's well written and contain much that is not found here at PokerStrategy. For instance, the chapter on 2-7 triple draw and Mike Caros chapter on diverse topics.

The chapter on NL Holde'm can be described as "dangerous". It applies mostly to very deep stack play and presupposes that you know the math already. (Doyle also writes that he is really struggling to win in shortstack play.)

The label "dangerous" should be attached since it is easy to get the impression that you only have to make big bets on multiple streets and see your opponents fold. The text doesn't really say that you should. There are some pretty subtle points about different board textures and stuff like that if that is what you are looking for. How to play AA and 76s is handled in extreme depth.

The part about playing your rushes is especially dangerous since the unwary reader migh get the impression that you should play because you are especially lucky at the moment. The point is rather that you should take advantage of the fact that your opponents may be temporarily intimidated. Surely, such players as Durr, Isildur and other *urrs have this vital ingredient in their game.

The main difference in strategy between the "standard lines" of basic pokerstrategy.com articles and Doyles lines is probably the donkbet on the flop versus the check-raise. Doyle is probably correct in advocating the big donk if the stacks are very deep (>>100BB) but not with typical online stacks. Balancing ranges is not explicit in his lines.

Outdated?

Yes, maybe, but Brunson has held his own at the real nosebleed tables for some time now and I guess he holds more WSOP bracelets than most PokerStrategy members. It's difficult to point out much that is downright wrong.

/Johan = :f_confused:
    • backstabber
      backstabber
      Basic
      Overall it's a good collection of all games in one book, but for every game in that book there is a better book out there.

If you intend to play no limit holdem there strategies in that book are not tailored for beginners i.m.o.