What do you guys prefer and why

• magicadil
      magicadil
      Bronze
      Cash Tables, Sit & Gos, or tournaments.

Personally, I prefer tournaments because the payouts are high with a low buyin + it challanges you because it forces to play a long game if you want to run deep, and maintain concentration throughout.
  • 21 replies
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      I'm not a fan of Sit-N-Goes.
      You are stuck there for the duration -- with MTTs it's even longer.
      You often get into situations where you are forced to fold hands that you would otherwise play, due to blind levels, bubble factors, ICM and so on.

Cash games, otoh, you can come and go as you please, and each hand is a unique event. The outcome of one hand won't make or break your entire session.
    • TinoLaan
      TinoLaan
      Bronze
      I used to play tournaments only. Managed to get some pretty nice cashes too!

But now I switched to cash games, because I simply won't have the time anymore once the summer holidays are over and uni starts (plus I have a job and loads of other things to do) to play tournaments, which can easily take up to 10 hours if you have a bigger one, or a tournament with a slower structure (which I tend to prefer over the turbos).

So that's why I switched to cash games. I must say I'm really enjoying it. Plenty of things to work on, especially because it's quite a mindset shift between MTTs and cash games. But aside of it being fun, that mindset change also provides for a very nice challenge.

Though I must say, I started with a $50 BR for cash games to get into the swing of it, having won about $20 over the ~5k hands I now played is not exactly as satisfying as the $4000 I won with one tournament one time :f_biggrin:

Doesn't matter though. I'll work my way up the limits soon enough :f_thumbsup:

Still love MTTs though, so I'll definitely still play them when I have the time!

You often get into situations where you are forced to fold hands that you would otherwise play, due to blind levels, bubble factors, ICM and so on.
      That's part of what makes tournaments fun to play, though, imo. Especially the ever-increasing blinds and the continuously changing stack sizes make tournament play very dynamic and interesting.

But of course, that depends completely on your personal preferences :)
    • ninuu
      ninuu
      Bronze
      Originally posted by VorpalF2F

Cash games, otoh, you can come and go as you please, and each hand is a unique event. The outcome of one hand won't make or break your entire session.
      +1 and they are also boring, there's not that much action as it is in cash games
    • BObamaJr
      BObamaJr
      Bronze
      Cash:

-has the most action

-is the most profitable

-is the most fun

-has the least variance

-allows for flexible session times

-is the most attractive

And, most importantly:

-nobody likes the shitheads that play SNGs and tourneys
    • BObamaJr
      BObamaJr
      Bronze
      Additionally, SNGs and tourney players have no heart. They are too immersed with ICM and PoF frequencies to develop real strategies and play with commitment to the game.
    • BObamaJr
      BObamaJr
      Bronze
      Originally posted by magicadil
      play a long game if you want to run deep
      This is a negative not a positive. What if you want to get a coffee, go for a workout or do some study? Poker should be flexible, not a controlling aspect of your life.
    • DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Bronze
      tourneys for glory, cash for cash.

for that reason i :heart: cash.

you can suck at poker and still win a tourney, whereas you soon learn how good you really are at poker after 40k hands or so of playing cash. although winning tourneys would be a nice payday AND if you can win consistently itlr then you are sorted :)

with that said, i never liked tourneys cos i never shipped one :D dunno what that says about me as a player....
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Sit n Goes for me!

Although I would prefer to play MTTs but I wouldn't be able to find the time unfortunately. Not a lot of love here for the SNG/MTT player I see though :(
    • bradomurder
      bradomurder
      Bronze
      Originally posted by BObamaJr
      Additionally, SNGs and tourney players have no heart. They are too immersed with ICM and PoF frequencies to develop real strategies and play with commitment to the game.
      With sng's this is probably true but you cant say that about mtts,

MTTs are the ultimate form of poker. You have to work at every aspect of the game from 5bb to 200bb+ you have to, continue to adjust and learn to dominate every situation.

As the prizemoney gets huge you have to have balls of steel and you have to have a solid mindset and BRM to hande the massive swings

Online cash games are ok they are very fun and profitable at a good table, the table selection aspect is the worst thing, when the tables get regged up and you have to change over and over can just kill your buzz

live cash games are the most form fun by far imo
    • bradomurder
      bradomurder
      Bronze
      STTs are imo the easiest and fastest way to run a bankroll through that $100->$1000 stage but i would agree that they don't take much heart
    • metza
      metza
      Bronze
      I like Heads Up SNG the best, so much action, biggest potential for metagame, and unlike HU Cash, if you're crushing the opponent, they can't leave till they're beaten.
    • Meda1985
      Meda1985
      Bronze
      Originally posted by VorpalF2F

Couldn't say it better! :)
      But, any serious poker player (and I'm by far from it) MUST know how to play MTT's! Of course, there are exceptions!
      I love FR-cash games the most! I think the edge is the largest in those, even though HU does favorite better player, but bad beat can destroy you in those much easier then in FR!
    • YohanN7
      YohanN7
      Bronze
      I like pretty much everything.

If you want skill to matter much, then FL HU SnG is extremely rewarding or devastating (especially Razz, but Holde'm too). I usually know with certainty within 15-20 hands if I'll win or lose.

I want cash games to be deep so that play on every street enter the picture (which pretty much excludes 100BB PL Omaha (not that I don't play it, I do)). 200+ BB NL Holde'm is one hell of a game.

/Johan = :f_confused:
    • evertonroar
      evertonroar
      Bronze
      seems most of you won't agree with me here, but i can just not get into cash games. I have tried on five occasion to serioulsy get into them. each time 10k + hands. 3 of the 5 I was profitable and over all the hands I was up. But i just find them boring. I think its becuase I play low stakes. So winning a sng, you win a little but you get the felling of beating 8 other players. Cash, you win a bit but who did you beat? I play at stake which match my skill (still learning) but the money to me is nothing ( I have a good job and my poker roll is a small fraction of my income - i play for fun and the challenge of beconming good - not the money). So I find it very hard to play 10k and be happy when I win 30$.
    • YohanN7
      YohanN7
      Bronze
      Well, then try different variants of cash game. Playing 4 tables of tightass 100BB NL Holde'm can be boring. If you play 4*NL25 (say), try playing FL $2-$4 (one table). You'll get in much more action than you think.

/Johan = :f_confused:
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze
      Cash, and plo cash at that. Ever since i've started playing PLO i just can't bring myself to play NLHE anymore, i can't play it for more than 5 minutes without being super bored
    • poker24adik
      poker24adik
      Bronze
      i prefer both as long as you have played with discipline. dont wanna go home thinking about hands that i did wrong.
    • Riverdiver
      Riverdiver
      Bronze
      The good thing about mtt's is you can sattelite in big mtt's and dream of million dollar payday's :f_biggrin:
    • robkush
      robkush
      Bronze
      I prefer tournaments because the payouts are high with a low buyin and sng are also good but i avoid cg i m worst at them.