[NL20-NL50] [SH] NL 40 KTs OOP trap river with top fh

• DeMarcohsp
      DeMarcohsp
      Bronze
      Prima, $0.20/$0.40 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 4 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

BTN: $118.07 (295.2 bb)
      Hero (SB): $59.90 (149.8 bb)
      BB: $40 (100 bb)
      CO: $46.73 (116.8 bb)

Preflop: Hero is SB with T K
      CO raises to $1.20, BTN folds, Hero calls $1, BB folds

Flop: ($2.80) K 3 J (2 players)
      Hero bets $2, CO raises to $6, Hero raises to $15.80, CO calls $9.80

Turn: ($34.40) K (2 players)
      Hero bets $11, CO calls $11

River: ($56.40) 3 (2 players)
      Hero checks, CO bets $18.73, Hero calls $18.73

Results:
      $93.86 pot ($3.00 rake)
      Final Board: K 3 J K 3
      Hero showed T K and won $90.86 ($44.13 net)
      CO showed 6 7 and lost (-$46.73 net)

I donked flop because I think this is a flop where he is not going to cbet w/o a hand.

I expect his flop raising range to be made of sets, KJ; draws and it's possble that he has a good amount of bluffs here since a decent of regulars have the mindset of raising ATC here.

Depending of how often he bluffs on the flop my 3bet is either good or bad, with the flop being as it is I think it's not that good. In the hand I thought that I get max value this way vs his draws by raising flop and shoving turn (I would still lose my stack vs his monsters most of the time).

Turn I thought that the K makes him unable to call my shove with anything else than a better value hand, which would result in him playing perfectly vs me.

I opted for a small bet and a x/c on the river since I think that this way I get max value from his draws. Don't really expect him to ever raise the turn.

Worked this time, but am I overvaluing my hand on the flop?
  • 5 replies
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello DeMarcohsp,

Flop: His CB is 89%, what makes you think he is not going to CB this flop? Rather disagree with your thoughts. I'd Check it and let him CB with his whole range, if he Checks then I am leading the turn. Also the problem is that if you really get it in in those situations then your equity wont be very high.

As played not much to comment if you assume he has enough of bluffs in his range, although myself I'd just shove it cause his AF is rather low on the river.

Best Regards.
    • Farmarchist
      Farmarchist
      Bronze
      1) Isn't it better to 3bet this hand? We don't dominate that much hands...

2) Why not just check/call the flop and as played just call the raise?

3) Why should we donk OTT as played, his range is probably strong and we don't want to see a shove. If he bets big here it's a check/fold I guess?
    • Farmarchist
      Farmarchist
      Bronze
      Ow and:
      4) I would ch/c river because nothing worse than Kx will call our shove...
    • Farmarchist
      Farmarchist
      Bronze
      Dang it all. Advise btn
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      1) Isn't it better to 3bet this hand? We don't dominate that much hands...

Well, why would be 3betting better vs a guy who a) doesn't fold to 3bets = calls all better hands which dominate us; b) he doesn't fold to 3bet. So what's the purpose of it? ;)

2) Why not just check/call the flop and as played just call the raise?

Please read my evaluation. :P

3) Why should we donk OTT as played, his range is probably strong and we don't want to see a shove. If he bets big here it's a check/fold I guess?

Umm, we didn't donk the turn, we CB it.

4) I would ch/c river because nothing worse than Kx will call our shove...

But there ain't much he is going to bluff either. Very low AF so which could tell us that we wont see that often bluffs here and pairs or whatsoever just Check behind, included AA.