[NL20-NL50] Nl20 Fr - 44 Set

• ratex
      Should I just call his bet?
      I re-raised because I think that is a dangerous bord for me, and the UTG is really solid!

Titan Poker 0.10/0.20, hand converted by the iPoker Converter at Talking-Poker

saw flop | saw showdown

Button Hero ($20.10)
      SB ($4.37)
      BB ($20.00)
      UTG UTG ($24.57)
      UTG+1 ($22.12)
      MP ($22.86)
      MP ($20.25)
      MP ($20.00)
      CO-1 ($3.80)
      CO CO ($13.45)

Preflop: Hero is on the Button with 4:heart: 4:spade:
      UTG raises to 0.80, 5 folds, CO calls 0.80, Hero calls 0.80, 2 folds.

Flop (2.70) 9:heart: 4:club: 5:heart:
      UTG bets 2.00, 1 fold, Hero raises to 6.00, 1 fold
  • 5 replies
    • aciddrop
      You have position, and you say he is solid, so most likely he has an overpair or AK, AQ, or other overcards. So, I would just call this flop, and look at what he does on the turn. If an Ace comes, you can probably raise any bet, and get all in. I think raising the flop loses value, because the only thing you can be protecting against is the FD, which is a small part of his range.
    • TribunCaesar
      Hi ratex

I also raise on the flop to get value from overpairs. Villain might slow down if a heart or an overcard to his pocket appears. In addition, raising the turn looks much stronger.
      Furthermore you want to protect.
      Actually I raise to $7 for maximizing value.

Best regards,
    • aciddrop
      I disagree that we need to protect on this flop. UTG raiser, which means a strong hand usually, AQ+, JJ+, so I don't see what we are protecting against here.
    • Tukaluga
      like raising the flop

he will only laydown AQ+ here and not JJ+ what means only ~30% of the hands he might have

nothing to do with protection just value maximizing ;)
    • aciddrop
      I agree we're looking to maximize value. How to achieve that is the question. I just reread the articles recently, silver ones, regarding BSS postflop play. The question of betting and raising for value is discussed, and concludes that a value bet, or raise, isn't for value, unless it is called, or raised.

My opinion here is that because of the previously mentioned factors, UTG will lay down his hand too often for this to be for value. We won't build the pot, we will conclude it.

I also believe that any hand that would have called a raise here will be in just as good a shape to call a turn raise, even though this should represent a stronger hand. I think greater value in this circumstance can be gotten by just calling the flop and making a further decision on the turn.

We have position, so the greatest value, actually rather than theoretically, may be achieved by calling again on the turn, and save out value raise for the river. While that should kill our action, it doesn't always work out like that.

In summing up, I am saying that standard actions don't always apply, and I think this case was one where the value raise line cost us, and it was quite assessible at the start.