elitetroop

• elitetroop
      elitetroop
      Bronze
      I will be 21 soon and now is a university student. I am playing NL2 or NL4 and have played 7k hands now. But have lost $19 of the achieved $40. I am learning NL Beginners Course,hoping to make a difference.
  • 11 replies
    • IngridN
      IngridN
      Bronze
      Hi elitetroop,

Welcome to the community and good luck at the tables! :)

Don't forget to review your play after each session and try to explain each move, like this you know if you played well and can start working on your game.
    • elitetroop
      elitetroop
      Bronze
      Homework 1:
      Question 1: What is your motivation for playing poker? (Be as vague or specific as you want with this one, but try to think of all the reasons and elaborate on them.)
      Answer:
      *I want to level up just like playing computer games. But now I am only level 1.
      *I want to get the graduation badge.
      *I want to be a Millionaire by playing CRUSHING my enemies in online poker.
      *I want to learn English.

Question 2: What are your weaknesses when playing poker? (What are the mistakes you know you are making during your games? Are you playing while you're tired? Are you tilting easily? Want to see the showdown too much? Write down as many as you think are affecting you.)
      Answer:
      I don't know how to play post flop. I have not mastered it.

Question 3: What does it mean to play tight aggressive? (Describe in your own words what playing tight aggressive is and why does it work.)
      Answer:
      I play tight. I don't play many hands. I play aggressively and make my opponents fold. It works because I will not lost much money on the hands which is not strong enough to play. And my style of aggressive has two ways to win the pot. Way 1,let them fold. Way2,win at showdown.
    • elitetroop
      elitetroop
      Bronze
      Homework2:

Question 1: What do you think you could play differently than suggested in the BSS Starting Hands Chart and why? (Are there any hands you would play differently? Do you have a problem or question about how a specific hand or hands should be played?)
      Answer:I am a beginner. A beginner should do what the teacher teaches. But when I play better, I will develop my own chart. Because if your opponent knows your starting hand chart. It will be easy for him to play against me. But for a beginner, the chart which pokerstrategy provides will be very helpful and should be obeyed.

Question 2: Do you have questions about your preflop play? Post your hand for evaluation. ( Post your hand in the Hand evaluation forums and provide a link to your hand in your private thread in the Locker Room.)
      Answer:KK preflop all in

Question 3: What is the equity of AKo against the top 5% range? 5% means 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo. ( You can either calculate this yourself or use an equity calculator such as the PokerStrategy.com Equilab.)
      Answer:46.28%。
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Welcome to the Course and Best of Luck. Good job! Homework #1 Done!

You haven't mastered yet postflop play but are you sure that preflop play is secure? Even very high limit players still don't have their preflop game in order whilst not knowing against what range to go broke and so on. :) Be ready to face a lot new stuff in poker and there is always something new to learn, that's also why I enjoy the game.

The weakness you wrote can easily be fixed by posting hands (analyzing your session). We will start writing feedback to your play. Usually negative feedback will put you into thinking phase and trying to fix all those leaks. It's almost the same as you lose money, you will remember it more than winning part. By this situation it's gonna be that negative feedback you gonna remember and try to avoid them next time.

What about tilt? Do you adjust something against it? For example:
      Easiest way to fight against tilt is to set up stop-loss technique. Which means if you for example have lost more than 3BIs for a session then you just stop the session for some time. The BI amount is set up from your own results. Some may put it higher, some lower. Also after the stop you can spend some time with evaluation part to become better.

Tight style is usually called playing selected hands. Like following the Starting Hand Chart. Aggressive should be also pretty clear that already the word says how you should be playing. But the problem playing aggressively is that you have to watch that you don't play too aggressive. Find good spots, find good targets. About The tight-aggressive strategy you can read in this article: "What is the Big Stack Strategy?"

Hopefully you will enjoy the Course.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #2 Done!

Very good attitude! Continue like that and you definitely will become a good poker player. :) It's very important to at least in the beginning to follow the chart. It at least teaches you what to do preflop and what's the easiest way to play. Whenever you are ready you will feel yourself what to do there. I only wish you good luck with it.

About Question #3:

Equity     Win     Tie
      UTG    46.32%  37.92%   8.41% { AKo }
      UTG+1  53.68%  45.27%   8.41% { 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo }

Hopefully you enjoy the Course so far.
    • elitetroop
      elitetroop
      Bronze
      Originally posted by veriz
      Welcome to the Course and Best of Luck. Good job! Homework #1 Done!

You haven't mastered yet postflop play but are you sure that preflop play is secure? Even very high limit players still don't have their preflop game in order whilst not knowing against what range to go broke and so on. :) Be ready to face a lot new stuff in poker and there is always something new to learn, that's also why I enjoy the game.

The weakness you wrote can easily be fixed by posting hands (analyzing your session). We will start writing feedback to your play. Usually negative feedback will put you into thinking phase and trying to fix all those leaks. It's almost the same as you lose money, you will remember it more than winning part. By this situation it's gonna be that negative feedback you gonna remember and try to avoid them next time.

What about tilt? Do you adjust something against it? For example:
      Easiest way to fight against tilt is to set up stop-loss technique. Which means if you for example have lost more than 3BIs for a session then you just stop the session for some time. The BI amount is set up from your own results. Some may put it higher, some lower. Also after the stop you can spend some time with evaluation part to become better.

Tight style is usually called playing selected hands. Like following the Starting Hand Chart. Aggressive should be also pretty clear that already the word says how you should be playing. But the problem playing aggressively is that you have to watch that you don't play too aggressive. Find good spots, find good targets. About The tight-aggressive strategy you can read in this article: "What is the Big Stack Strategy?"

Hopefully you will enjoy the Course.

Hello,veriz
      I know preflop and postflop are both difficult. I mean that I have not much questions about following the starting hand chart. Because following the chart is not difficult at all. But I have not considered my opponents' Range yet.I just follow the paper.

About Tilt:I am playing NL2 right now. So my buy-in is $2. If my money on a single table is less than $1.5, I know it's hard to play further. So I will change table. But the problem is that sometimes I just lost all my buy-in.(I have 7 7 7 agaist J J J)

The article "What is the Big Stack Strategy?" have not mentioned "you don't play too aggressive". Why can't I play too aggressive?

I enjoyed the course and your video very much.
    • elitetroop
      elitetroop
      Bronze
      Hello,veriz
      Where can I find the Coaching feedback thread? I can't find it anywhere.
    • elitetroop
      elitetroop
      Bronze
      Homework 3:
      Question 0: Download and install the Equilab. (You can download the Equilab for free here: PokerStrategy.com Equilab.)
      Answer:I have already downloaded it and used it.

Question 1: You are holding KQ. What is your preflop equity against an opponent who has 33? How does the equity change on this flop: J53? (Tip:

you can use the Equilab to help you with this task.)
      Answer:
      Preplop
      Equity Win Tie
      MP2 50.78% 50.40% 0.38% { KsQs }
      MP3 49.22% 48.84% 0.38% { 3d3c }
      on the flop
      Board: Js5d3s
      Equity Win Tie
      MP2 26.46% 26.46% 0.00% { KsQs }
      MP3 73.54% 73.54% 0.00% { 3d3c }

Question 2: What would you do in the following hand? (Remember that it is important to explain your reasons, simply posting "Fold" or "Call" isn't

enough!)
      No Limit hold'em $2 (9-handed)
      Players and stacks:
      UTG: $2.00
      UTG+1: $2.08
      MP1: $1.92
      MP2: $1.00
      MP3: $3.06
      CO: (Hero) $2.08
      BU: $2.00
      SB: $2.00
      BB: $1.24
      Preflop: Hero is CO with AJ
      5 folds, Hero raises to $0.08, BU calls $0.08, SB folds, BB calls $0.06.
      Flop: ($0.25) 263 (3 players)
      BB checks, Hero checks, BU checks.
      Turn: ($0.25) 5 (3 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $0.22, BU raises to $0.44, BB folds, Hero...?

Answer: 4 is not our outs.We have 9 club cards to make a flush. In order to play,we have to call 0.22. And 0.91/0.22 = 4.14 > 4. So CALL.

Question 3: Do you have questions about your postflop play? Post your hand for evaluation. (Post your hand in the hand evaluation forum and

provide a link to your hand in your private thread in the Locker Room.)
      NL2 KQs hit top pair, but opp bets on turn very strange
      NL2 AKo I play according to the odds,do I play correctly this time
      NL2 KK there's an "A" in the flop(oh,I have posted in wrong place.Sorry.)
      NL2 AKo doesn't hit anything on the flop
    • IngridN
      IngridN
      Bronze
      Originally posted by elitetroop
      Hello,veriz
      here you have it elitetroop [Coaching] No-Limit Special [Beginner] with veriz :)
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hey, how is it going?

I know preflop and postflop are both difficult. I mean that I have not much questions about following the starting hand chart. Because following the chart is not difficult at all. But I have not considered my opponents' Range yet.I just follow the paper.

That's what every beginner should do, whenever you are ready you will feel that yourself. ;) Just don't rush, that's never good in poker.

About Tilt:I am playing NL2 right now. So my buy-in is $2. If my money on a single table is less than $1.5, I know it's hard to play further. So I will change table. But the problem is that sometimes I just lost all my buy-in.(I have 7 7 7 agaist J J J)

I would strongly advice to keep 100bb as you are following the BSS strategy. It's very important to gain the maximum value in case you hit. That's also the purpose of the strategy. If you fall under 100bb instead of leaving you should be re-buying. Or even if possible recommend using auto-rebuy.

The article "What is the Big Stack Strategy?" have not mentioned "you don't play too aggressive". Why can't I play too aggressive?

Problem with playing too aggressive is that you are too often putting yourself into those spots where you wasting a lot of money. Either CBetting too much, raising in wrong spots and so on. Therefore try to keep yourself balanced. One of the common mistakes what new players tend to do it they are tilting money away "trying to be sheriff on the table".

I enjoyed the course and your video very much.

Glad to hear. :) Lets turn it even better with your becoming a good player one day. Which of course doesn't happen few with months, we have to put a lot effort into it.

Anything specific you are searching for, I assume you are looking for the calculator? If so then you can send me an email and I will mail it to ya. E-mail can be found in my signature in my Private coaching thread first post.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #3 Done!

About Question #1:
      Preflop Equity:

Equity Win Tie
      UTG 50.78% 50.40% 0.38% { KsQs }
      UTG+1 49.22% 48.84% 0.38% { 3d3c }

Postflop Equity:

Board: J:spade: 5:diamond: 3:spade:
      Equity Win Tie
      UTG 26.46% 26.46% 0.00% { KsQs }
      UTG+1 73.54% 73.54% 0.00% { 3d3c }

About Question #2:
      There are several occasions on turn:
      a) If we take just odds for the FD and we take into account that all our odds are clean. Which means:
      Total Pot = $0,91 ; We have to Call = $0,22 -> According to that it means we are getting ~4,16:1 odds. For flushdraw we would need 4:1. Which tells us that we are getting perfect odds.
      b) If we consider the opponent having sets here:
      Which means we have to discount outs, for example 6 and also 3. Which means we have 7 clean outs so that means we need 6:1 odds. That tells us that we need ~$0,41 on river to make it profitable. If we expect the opponent being loose enough and being able to pay us no-matter what then we can do the Call here properly.
      c) We might even have overcards as outs or even 4 as a out:
      Although this kind of situation ain't that likely. I'd rather discount that one and either pick a) or b). Most likely towards Call.

You are doing great progress, keep going!