Is this unethical?

• magicadil
      magicadil
      Bronze
      So last night I was playing in a live poker tournament. It was a $50+5 buyin. Everyone folded, and the SB raised to 150. I called.

My Hand: 3S,3C

His HandA,4D

The flop came: 2C,5S,3H

He bets 300. I call.

Turn: KH

He bets 750. I call.

River: 3D

He checks. I bet 1300. He raises to 2600.

At this time he only has about 7,000 left behind. I have a little more. I took my time and started some small talk to make it seem like I hit a set, and had a hard decision. When he thought I was I about to fold, he called for the clock. I let the call run down to 10 seconds, then shoved all in.

He snap called. :f_biggrin:

After the hand everyone at the table was mad at me :( I'm the type that rarely calls and compliment others on their good play. I didn't intend to slowroll but since he called the clock I thought that if I let it die down, it would make it easier to call when I shoved.

Is my actions justified, and if you are at the table would you mad over this?
  • 41 replies
    • DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Bronze

question is if you were him, would you be mad at you? :P
    • Ectoz
      Ectoz
      Bronze
      Originally posted by DrDunne

question is if you were him, would you be mad at you? :P
      ^^ I appreciate doing your job as a mod,but you can be sincere in such extreme situations.

@magicadildo

You're a douche.God,you're such a douche.

Hope you bubbled.
    • jaggedlink
      jaggedlink
      Bronze
      WP, GG :s_cool:

You didn't slowroll, you were playing live poker and using the tools at your disposal to play into his psyche. Although, if you were in his shoes you'd be pissed too, but it's more about being outsmarted than anything else. He thought you weak, he be wrong, so again, WP!

It's only a slow roll at showdown, everything else, (besides cheating), is POKER Baby!!!! =)
    • Jackalof
      Jackalof
      Bronze
      I would insult you. But then again, you're playing for the money, not for ethics.
    • bradomurder
      bradomurder
      Bronze
      the "i'm gonna fold... oh no wait, instead i'll go all in" is pretty obvious, if he fell for that one he deserves it

As far as ethics and poker, if it's within the rules it's ethical imo. It would only annoy me that you took a long time
    • Jimanyjerk
      Jimanyjerk
      Bronze
      I think this might be worse than Team Germany calling time out with Aces pre-flop. Search "sick slowroll" on youtube, it's the top video.

Unethical: In my opinion no.

A dick move: yes definitely. If he's got the second nuts he probably was going to snap call you anyway. Taking your time is all good; purposefully taking as much time as possible on an easy decision is a little much though :P

Save that for the big time so you can float Phil Hellmuth two streets with air then show up with a running gutshot straight :D

g.
    • JonikoP
      JonikoP
      Bronze
      This is eithically ok IMO. But it is certainly annoying for all the other players.

So much of the ettiqette of live play is keeping the game moving as its really slow anyway. Given that its such a low buy-in tournament and relatively little money is left behind I think your action was unnecessary and I'm not surprised the other players were annoyed. Take a minute, but don't take 5 mins plus the clock.

By the way, timing right down then shipping is such a big tell its untrue.
    • matel17
      matel17
      Bronze
      I think it's fine. What is poker if not psychological warfare?
    • RazDirk
      RazDirk
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Jimanyjerk
      I think this might be worse than Team Germany calling time out with Aces pre-flop. Search "sick slowroll" on youtube, it's the top video.

g.
      +1 lol
      Sick Slow Role dude!
      I would certainly be annoyed,
      considering he Check\Raised river after bet-bet on flop\turn.
      Could have taken a minute and Raised AI, but 5 Minutes and the CLOCK

#rude
    • w34z3l
      w34z3l
      Coach
      Coach
      This is not a slowroll.

A slowroll is when you have the nuts and you take forever to call when you are closing the action.

If there is someone else to act behind, you can take as long as you like (or until the clock runs out). Your tanking might increase the likelihood of your opponent calling. This is poker. Deception is part of the game, allowed and often necessary.

Spots like this people will accuse you of slowrolling. They are angry because they lost, and angry because they were deceived. That doesn't make it a slowroll though.
    • bennisboy
      bennisboy
      Bronze
      Would only really be a slowroll if he'd shipped first and you took ages to call.

As it is, you probably didn't need to take the whole clock, just your normal "timebank" would be fine.

Other players were annoyed because you took ages, and it's only a small tourny. You can simulate a tough decision without running down the clock
    • zobupasts
      zobupasts
      Bronze
      Originally posted by magicadil
      I took my time and started some small talk to make it seem like I hit a set, and had a hard decision.
      Maybe you mean trips?

All this situation is kind of fishy. Seems like you took a LOT of time there and I guess I would be pissed at you too. That said, I think you did nothing unethical.

I just hope you turned your hand over without more hesitation.
    • metza
      metza
      Bronze
      Its totally a douchey thing to do.

Maybe not unethical, but definitely ungentlemanly and terrible etiquette.

I personally feel that stuff like this has no place in poker, especially live poker. It's even worse that he had something he's most likely calling with anyway.

I just reckon this sort of thing is for people who aren't capable of outplaying their opponents.
    • datsmahname
      datsmahname
      Global
      just sounds to me like a waste of time.

Are DMV lines unethical?.. hmmph.
    • Maloco87
      Maloco87
      Bronze
      its not a slow roll imo as you are trying to get all his chips so you want it to look like you have a tough decision making him think he has the best hand so that he calls when you shove as if you are trying to steal

I know this maybe sounds like jiberish but i know what i mean lol
    • Maloco87
      Maloco87
      Bronze
      thinking about it actually i dont think I would have let the clock run down I think a snap call as soon as he calls the clock would have hurt him more

but maybe he deserves it for calling the clock
    • jaggedlink
      jaggedlink
      Bronze
      Now I didn't take time bank or anything but took a few seconds 'cuz he was folding to all my bets once I had him under 300chips. It may or may not have tilted him, but I took ~7/10 games from him.

Poker Stars $1.44+$0.06 No Limit Hold'em Tournament - t15/t30 Blinds - 2 players - View hand 1848299
      DeucesCracked Poker Videos Hand History Converter

BTN/SB: t220 7.33 BBs
      Hero (BB): t780 26 BBs

Pre Flop: (t45) Hero is BB with 3 :club: T :club:
      BTN/SB calls t15, Hero checks

Flop: (t60) 9 :spade: Q :diamond: 3 :heart: (2 players)
      Hero checks, BTN/SB checks

Turn: (t60) 3 :diamond: (2 players)
      Hero bets t60, BTN/SB calls t60

River: (t180) 3 :spade: (2 players)
      Hero takes about 8 seconds, checks, BTN/SB bets t130 all in, Hero calls t130
    • magicadil
      magicadil
      Bronze
      nice one! :P
    • tieppofer
      tieppofer
      Bronze
      I don't really see the problem here, it may be a waste of time, but there's nothing wrong with it... it's live poker and that's no limit, baby :s_cool: