Question about calling All-IN

• DirtyDunton
      DirtyDunton
      Bronze
      I am on a 5 game winning streak since I've have started using particular tactic and I was wondering if anyone else does this as well.

My question is, if I am a 5:1 chip leader against a single opponent, is it wise to call an all in with a less than premium hand? In my mind, losing 1/5 of my pot doesn't seem very substantial mid-game and I don't mind risking it for a good chance to knock off a small pot. Is this a reasonable approach? A fella called me a DONK yesterday when I had a 4700 to 850 chip lead when I called his J4 with a Q6. I ended up winning the pot.

I don't usually played these hands unless I can in such an instance. Do others here adopt this strategy or am I a donk??

I am really curious..

Thx
  • 9 replies
    • Spungeh
      Spungeh
      Bronze
      Donk :coolface:
    • BadeaCelRau
      BadeaCelRau
      Bronze
      Sure man, why not? Chance to kick them faster
    • 2birds2stones
      2birds2stones
      Basic
      At the moment I am more of a MTT player. So I will give you advice in that area. I wouldnt call in early in a tournament because that is when fish will go all in with any hand and just get lucky. JJs is the minimum. Cash games, if you are confident in your hand why not. MTTs dont give second chances unless rebuys
    • bettingstation
      bettingstation
      Bronze
      yes... its like bingo poker... feel luck go all in...
    • tieppofer
      tieppofer
      Bronze
      Well, I don't really like it... that little fish you're feeding may grow up and eat your face at the final table :)
    • magicadil
      magicadil
      Bronze
      With 5:1 chip lead, I would first see what the highest stack in the tourney is. Also, if the player wasn't super tight I would probably call his all in with any pocket pair, K8,Q10 type hands.
    • nefarious26
      nefarious26
      Bronze
      i would make that decision on, what the blinds were thus what odds im getting, his position and how well my had is doing against his range and any players that are behind me/am i closing the action
    • DirtyDunton
      DirtyDunton
      Bronze
      I really appreciate all the responses, I know I am still a noob but I feel good about the way I have been playing lately.

The thing for me, I feel confident against a small pot because I am confident I can regain my losses through positional betting.

Tonight I played a 30 man tourney for the first time and came in 2nd. I was called a donk numerous times by a fella but I really felt my betting gave me an edge. I have learned over the last week good betting alone can win games. I played a game today where I didn't have a single strong hand and won just by aggressive betting in position. I think Phil Ivey has this betting thing down to a science.

respectfully your

Little fish :f_cool:
    • ghaleon
      ghaleon
      Black
      Originally posted by nefarious26
      i would make that decision on, what the blinds were thus what odds im getting, his position and how well my had is doing against his range and any players that are behind me/am i closing the action
      +1. If you have good enough pot odds you have to call.

One "funny" example of this was maybe three or four years ago in one live tournament. Game was 3handed. Button push for 2.5bb, Sb fold. I had much less poker experience then, but still understood what pot odds I get. I look at my hand, 23o. Thought for a moment and then called. BU asks "you called?", "Yes I did". He flips over AA. Unfortunately only hit one pair :)

Anyway there was probably more than 10 people following the final table and from comments around I would think probably like two of them understood why I called.

Originally posted by DirtyDuntonTonight I played a 30 man tourney for the first time and came in 2nd. I was called a donk numerous times by a fella but I really felt my betting gave me an edge. I have learned over the last week good betting alone can win games. I played a game today where I didn't have a single strong hand and won just by aggressive betting in position. I think Phil Ivey has this betting thing down to a science.

Don't let comments affect you. In some cases you should still put some weight to those. Some villains might start to play against you more likely after they start commenting.

As you have noticed loose raises from late positions can be instantly profitable, if villains defends too tight preflop. Even if they are not that tight you will often have position, if they are more call happy opponents and many weaker players has no understanding for value of position.