This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

Stealing from a calling station!

• mintogo
      mintogo
      Bronze
      When ur on the button and the loose passive preflop player calls 90% of the time when ur stealing, what hands should u look for to steal, hands with showdown value (highcards) or hands that have implied odds? (The logic answer for me is showdown value because hes gonna call u down)

So should u never raise with suited connectors and so on anymore against him?
  • 2 replies
    • tzveti
      tzveti
      Bronze
      against a loose-passive player, I play straightforward. I dont try to steal vs him, if Im on BU i might limp my low PP or SC and see a cheap flop, i raise my big aces,mid/big PP. On the flop i check if Im on a draw, i bet around halfpotsize if my draw is big, i bet make big valuebets with my made hands. All follows the logic that he is going to check-call every street.
    • Nunki
      Nunki
      Bronze
      Originally posted by mintogo
      When ur on the button and the loose passive preflop player calls 90% of the time when ur stealing, what hands should u look for to steal, hands with showdown value (highcards) or hands that have implied odds? (The logic answer for me is showdown value because hes gonna call u down)

High-card hands are obviously good but even hands like T-8o are playable since some of these players will payoff versus your mid-pair/top-pair. Often your c-bet will be shown little respect so one of the ways to adjust is to follow up on plenty of turns. A-x and even K-x has some SD value versus the very worst players. You should crush any player whom defends to your steal 90% of the time. Expect some swings to the BR though.

Like tvetzi said, you can also play straightforward and just value-bet him relentlessly with your premium hands.