Stealing from a calling station!

• mintogo
      mintogo
      Bronze
      When ur on the button and the loose passive preflop player calls 90% of the time when ur stealing, what hands should u look for to steal, hands with showdown value (highcards) or hands that have implied odds? (The logic answer for me is showdown value because hes gonna call u down)

So should u never raise with suited connectors and so on anymore against him?
  • 2 replies
    • tzveti
      tzveti
      Bronze
      against a loose-passive player, I play straightforward. I dont try to steal vs him, if Im on BU i might limp my low PP or SC and see a cheap flop, i raise my big aces,mid/big PP. On the flop i check if Im on a draw, i bet around halfpotsize if my draw is big, i bet make big valuebets with my made hands. All follows the logic that he is going to check-call every street.
    • Nunki
      Nunki
      Bronze
      Originally posted by mintogo
      When ur on the button and the loose passive preflop player calls 90% of the time when ur stealing, what hands should u look for to steal, hands with showdown value (highcards) or hands that have implied odds? (The logic answer for me is showdown value because hes gonna call u down)

High-card hands are obviously good but even hands like T-8o are playable since some of these players will payoff versus your mid-pair/top-pair. Often your c-bet will be shown little respect so one of the ways to adjust is to follow up on plenty of turns. A-x and even K-x has some SD value versus the very worst players. You should crush any player whom defends to your steal 90% of the time. Expect some swings to the BR though.

Like tvetzi said, you can also play straightforward and just value-bet him relentlessly with your premium hands.