[NL2-NL10] What did I do wrong? What could I have done Differently?

• dogmasrockets
      dogmasrockets
      Bronze
      PokerStars - $0.05 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 6 players
      Hand converted by PokerTracker 3

UTG: $5.00
      MP: $2.15
      Hero (CO): $4.52
      BTN: $5.66
      SB: $6.54
      BB: $5.41

SB posts SB $0.02, BB posts BB $0.05

Pre Flop: ($0.07) Hero has 9:spade: J:spade:

fold, MP calls $0.05, Hero calls $0.05, fold, fold, BB checks

Flop: ($0.17, 3 players) J:heart: 5:spade: 7:heart:
      BB checks, MP bets $0.30, Hero calls $0.30, fold

Turn: ($0.77, 2 players) 7:spade:
      MP bets $0.60, Hero calls $0.60

River: ($1.97, 2 players) 8:diamond:
      MP bets $1.20 and is all-in, Hero calls $1.20

MP shows 7:diamond: 6:club: (Three of a Kind, Sevens) (Pre 34%, Flop 20%, Turn 77%)
      Hero shows 9:spade: J:spade: (Two Pair, Jacks and Sevens) (Pre 66%, Flop 80%, Turn 23%)
      MP wins $4.19
  • 4 replies
    • jaggedlink
      jaggedlink
      Bronze
      What you could have done differently

1. If you're going to play this hand - Raise pre(~.19)
      There are 3 players still to act, you'll probably end up with position so it's not such a horrible hand to play against a late limper, but we prefer to take his limp and the blinds right there.

Is MP limping alot with a wide range? How aggressive is MP on the flop/turn?

Dynamics of the table also dictate how you will proceed on each street.

2. OTF you hit top pair with Backdoor Gut/Flush draw, Mp overbets, which pretty much looks exactly like a protection bet. You want to put maximum pressure on any other draws, or Jx/7x hands(if you decide to continue), so raise to ~$1.35.

3. If MP calls your bet, be ready to check back/fold if the turn doesn't help you, but hits MP's range, or shove if you improve your draw outs, or on a total brick.

4. As played, fold river.(unless you have reads that Villain bluffs like a maniac(like me :f_biggrin: ))

Be aware of becoming a calling station in spots like this, be more aggressive, not only to balance your range(because you wouldn't play 55 like this or top 2pair), so you look weak limping and call/call/calling and become exploitable if you play alot of marginal hands this way.

Also, if MP had raised pre-flop, I am sure you would have folded, right? :f_cool:
    • dogmasrockets
      dogmasrockets
      Bronze
      Thanks for the response jaggered, very thorough and interesting analysis
    • ains21
      ains21
      Bronze
      Just think dogmas: what do you beat on the river? J8 and J7 have you beat, not to mention JT+. Is this guy really playing J6 this way (100% there are no 5x in his range)? J5? There is almost nothing you can beat here.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello dogmasrockets,

Add to full stack if playing BSS.

Preflop: Limping ain't wrong here but isolating might be more powerful and take the initiative on you.
      Postflop: Vs the over-bet on the flop already I'd just fold it. It could be easily a strong hand and it will be difficult for us to Call the turn again. Especially I mean if you think you are ahead on the flop then why not just get it in?

If you haven't invested much into the pot then it's not worth fighting over the pot either. :) Just pick up safer line and which will avoid putting you into those spots where you Call down, although you rarely will be ahead.

Best Regards.