Back to Pokerstars

• deezer79
      deezer79
      Silver
      Stopped playing for a while and before that was on a wicked downswing. Now I'm not sure where I'm at with poker anymore. Still know all the theory, what I should do in what situations but my reads have gone to hell. Can never lay down when I know I've been sucked out on. It's miserable.

Playing very infrequently now. Not enjoying it at all really but feel compelled to keep trying. One of my first games back I played a 1200+ tourney and came 31st, which was a boost but it's been downhill since. Every game ends with suck out and I feel just blessed when the best hand stands up. I can do what is right in a certain situation but always with a sense of fatalism.

My return to Pokerstars very much resembles the greenhouse scene of Scum. Hard to not take it personally. Can't play for long periods, just throw my toys out the pram and shut down the laptop.

How do you test yourself when you wonder if it's you or variance wrist-deep in ya?
  • 6 replies
    • Krishjanis
      Krishjanis
      Bronze
      Originally posted by deezer79
      How do you test yourself when you wonder if it's you or variance wrist-deep in ya?
      Variance just asks how the watch feels like.
    • cufc37
      cufc37
      Bronze
      Mate, I think the vast majority of players have doubted whether it's variance or just being not very good. But if you can't lay a hand down when you know you're beat, then you can't put that down to variance and yep it's going to be even more miserable paying the suckout off.

You need to decide if it's poker in general that you're not enjoying or just the losing. If you're not enjoying poker then save your money for something you actually want to do. If it's just losing then I would agree, it ain't much fun when the graph just goes downwards. The only way to cure that is to watch vids, read articles, review your sessions and post hands in the forums. Just because you know the basics doesn't mean you know all the theory. Like any sport or hobby, you have to practise and work hard to get good and be able to take losing sometimes.

Anyways, I wish you good luck!
    • joeldowey123
      joeldowey123
      Silver
      one of my biggest improvments is in my folds! I know that you would just love to see if he has it or not, but sometimes its just not worth it, especially when you know you're behind!

think carefully about every hand and how it was has played out, what has villain done before in such spots.

In time it will pay off and you'll move up the limits!

GL bro
    • IngridN
      IngridN
      Bronze
      I've moved this to the right board guys!
    • deezer79
      deezer79
      Silver
      Thanks for the wise words. Still hardly playing at all and am not motivated to. Just logged onto Pokerstars for the first time this week; played x3 tables at NL5 for a half hour before I got bored and then opened a 1 table SnG. In which someone caught a 3 outer to get half my stack then on my blind I had a limp, raise from the button, pocket 10s and 18BB. What would you do here? Probably what I did; run into queens and get felted. Raiser had queens but the limper did call the 20BB raise with KQ and still would have beat me, sadly I wasn't the one in the pot to profit from such donkery.

So sad. Had high hopes for poker as a hobby I'd like to expand and get better on but run-bad has taken my heart. Upside is I've started 3 new hobbies in it's wake :) . I'll have to face that fact that I just can't get into poker unless I'm running reasonably well, or running as maths should imply. Since re-joining Pokerstars (and actually a good while before it) I have enjoyed playing a game of poker only once - one session in about 3 months. But to be fair I probably play one hour a week max at the moment.

Don't like to play but strangely still dig the game. Watch it all the time and my magazine subscriptions keep coming in. Having it in my life as just a "spectator's sport" seems a little wrong. Guess there's a reason I'm not cashing out and giving up totally. Must be hope. Shitty catch 22 is that I know variance will never turn around for me and I'll never start winning all that I've lost since the bad run, until I start doing some volume.
    • deezer79
      deezer79
      Silver
      Woo Hoo! Just played a one table SnG and cashed 1st. The old rush came back :) .