[NL2-NL10] NL10 J9o

• TheWinnerTakesItAll
      TheWinnerTakesItAll
      Bronze
      Opponent stats 35/20 AF:1 WTSD:35 W$SD:27 steal:63 fold to 3bet:80(4/5) after 113 hands.

He was stealing a lot, so I decided to 3bet and take down the pot, if he calls I still can cbet on some flops.

Flop is very good for cbet, but he calls. Turn is A and I think it is good card to second barrel, because his range consists a lot of poket pairs and I can represent an ace.

When I played this hand I thought that my play was good, but now I think it's bad especially vs such opponent.

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.05/$0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (7 handed)

Known players:
      SB (Hero):
      $10.05
      BB:
      $10.00
      MP1:
      $10.00
      MP2:
      $10.27
      MP3:
      $10.74
      CO:
      $6.72
      BU:
      $10.30

Preflop: Hero is SB with 9, J.
      4 folds, BU raises to $0.40, Hero raises to $1.20, BB folds, BU calls $0.80.

Flop: ($2.5) 3, K, 5 (2 players)
      Hero bets $1.30, BU calls $1.30.

Turn: ($5.1) A (2 players)
      Hero bets $2.90, BU raises to $7.80(All-In), Hero folds, BU gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $8.
  • 10 replies
    • LetsGambleBaby
      LetsGambleBaby
      Global
      ofcourse you can represent a Ace and normaly its a good pot to cbet, but look to his stats, he fold a lot to 3bet's, so when he dont fold he have a strong range, like strong Ax hands and pp's.

So not only think what you represent but also what his range is in this situation.

i think the cbet is good, but when i player whit AF 1 called, you better stop betting and give up (i think) because he wil have a hand and not often raise, he can have a set already, he can have everything.

What was his fold to cbet?

edit: i also dont like the hand which you raise whit, i better 3bet bluf whit suited connectors and hands whit blockers Ax,Kx type of hands
    • TheWinnerTakesItAll
      TheWinnerTakesItAll
      Bronze
      23%
    • LetsGambleBaby
      LetsGambleBaby
      Global
      Originally posted by TheWinnerTakesItAll
      23%
      ok and his fold to cbet on the turn?
    • TheWinnerTakesItAll
      TheWinnerTakesItAll
      Bronze
      30%
    • LetsGambleBaby
      LetsGambleBaby
      Global
      the problem whit a player whit WTSD 35 is also that he wil almost never give up a hand who hits a bit. you know he called your 3bet already so his range is strong, better 2 of 3 barrel a nit whit a WTSD of 16 or something and dont try to bluf players like this.

but the 3bet was not that bad, i think you can do it also whit this hand, because 80% fold to 3bet is high. But than dont cbet against a player like this, when you mis the flop, because he wil also not bet when he have nothing whit a AF of 1
    • Tomaloc
      Tomaloc
      Bronze
      interesting.

the cbet may or may not be standard vs this guy :D ofc we have the worse hand otf like 90% of the time, but i feel that he may even float you with A high there.
      c/f with no equity seems fine, we're exploiting him by having him fold to our 3bets. ofc not the biggest sample though
    • muel294
      muel294
      Bronze
      I would not recommend 3b'ing with this hand in the 1st place. There are many better hands to choose from.

I assume you saw that he folds to 3b's 80% of the time and thought it would be a good spot to 3b as a semi-bluff?

From an active blind defense perspective:

Personally I would be polarizing if he genuinely folds very often to 3b's (75%+ over a good sample size). I would do this as either a preflop semi bluff or for value:
      semi bluffs: SC's 65s - 9Ts (maybe JTs), small PP's 22-55
      Value: QQ+ AK+

Obviously this is a guide so it depends on your opponent and position. I would also be a little more cautious when contemplating 3b'ing from the blinds, since you will have to play OOP in an inflated pot, making your mistakes more costly.

I am just calling with all my medium strength hands that are ahead of his opening range or have good implied odds as they are too valuable to risk getting 4b off preflop and play postflop very well, eg 66-JJ AT-AQ an so on.

If he's never folding to 3b's then I would depolarize to include fewer or no semi bluffs and 3b exclusively for value, but also widen your value 3betting range to include some of your medium strength hands such as AQ, TT-JJ ( especially if our opponent is LP and rarely 4b's pre and c/f's flops very often or if we know our opponent to be particularly LAG or MANIACAL and 4b with worse preflop.

as usual it all depends.....
    • Tomaloc
      Tomaloc
      Bronze
      it's purely a math thing. if he folds over ~71%, we theoretically can 3bet anytwo and profit.

that said, he might have some sizing tell. 4bb on btn is huge :f_biggrin:
    • LetsGambleBaby
      LetsGambleBaby
      Global
      Originally posted by muel294
      I would not recommend 3b'ing with this hand in the 1st place. There are many better hands to choose from.
      i think when a player folds to 3bet's like 80 procent, i start 3betting whit almost any 2, till he's gonna react to it. it's very easy to play against it.

that said: if he almost fold always to 3bets, its stupid to gonna 3bet hands like, AJ,AQ,AK etc... because you are ahead of his range and dont wanna change you're hand into a bluf, what you are actualy doing when you 3bet suchs of a apponent
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      Hi,

I would say it is played quite standard- you 3-bet pf marginal hand loose player to take pot down, you c-bet board where he may easily c/f and you barrel on good card- your value range that spot is most sets, Ax hands, good flushdraws that you´re going to b/c. Balancing your value hands with air should be fine- he can´t really float you too often and start shoving his flushdraws, since you usually have there more often value hands and would likely go pot control Kx or medium pp-s

best regards,