[NL2-NL10] NL10 Aces

• Optroot
      I was playing in NL 10 and was dealt AA, it was my 19th hand at this table, not a lot of info on the villian. About 5 hands ago I won a hand with AKs (at showdown), and I had only played maybe 2 other hands at that table.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $0.10 BB (9 handed) Party-Poker Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: FlopTurnRiver)

UTG+1 ($19.90)
      MP1 ($11.83)
      MP2 ($2.86)
      Hero ($9.85)
      CO ($9.55)
      Button ($17.10)
      SB ($1.90)
      BB ($2)
      UTG ($11.31)

0.05/0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy Elephant 0.49 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with A, A
      4 folds, Hero raises to $0.40, CO calls $0.40, 3 folds.

Flop: ($0.95) 9, Q, A (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.75, CO calls $0.75.

Turn: ($2.45) K (2 players)
      Hero bets $2.50, CO raises to $5.30 , Hero raises to $8.70 (All-In), CO raises to $8.40 (All-In).

River: ($19.55) 4

Final Pot: $19.55

Results follow (highlight to see):
      CO shows a flush, ace high (8h Jh)
      Hero shows three of a kind, aces (Ad As)

CO wins with a flush, ace high (8h Jh)

So the reason I called is because, I figured he'd actually have to have JT of hearts to call a PF-raise, but thats way unlikely the only other hands would be T9 and J9, but again really rare, and besides if he does have a flush I have 10 outs, and the same goes for the straight. I guess it was pretty obvious, what do you think, still make the call? what should I have done??

Thanks in advanced for the imput (this is my first posted hand)
  • 3 replies
    • aciddrop
      Hello Optroot.

It seems obvious that he is going to have the flush after the minraise on the turn. The stupid thing is, after his minraise you get 1:3.65 pot odds to make the call. Your river odds are 1:3.6, so he very foolishly has priced you in. This is a legitimate, and mandatory, call. You will always get a call for the rest of your money when you hit the river.

The question is, is it better to just call, and save the $3.4 you have left if you miss, or just push? I think you are almost never in front here, so pushing is never going to get you any FE. Unless you hit one of your outs, you won't win this showdown. So I would just call, and punish his play by betting when I hit, and folding when I don't.

I would say 90% of the time he will have the flush here, at least. So you can save your remaining stack, because your odds will be less then 1:5 to call the river. Better to save one third of your stack here.
    • Optroot
      Yeah thanks, I agree with you.

But how am I supposed to put him on hearts if the A, K and Q are gone, he must have some weak jack and call a raise...?? only other hand would be JTo but I felt it was just more likely that he held two pair or a weaker set, or purhaps just a pair and the J of hearts, even still probably shouldn't have raised.

Thanks again for your imput :)
    • aciddrop
      Yeah, it can be tough trying to put people on hands, particularly on the lower limits. We are being taught to play a limited range of hands, and to assess probabilities based on that, but most other players aren't doing that. So, when you are trying to read somebodies hand, it is necessary to consider not only the likely range that they should be playing. People will play any two cards, and if they are suited, that seems to imbue them with some magical property. Cards in the range of 7-Q, somewhat connected, and suited, are very commonly played.

I think the turn gives his hand away here. This is really a unique opportunity to read, I reckon. The correct move for him to make, if he is going to play after your bet, would be to shove. That would give you a decision to make. If someone shoves in this scenario, it could mean the flush, or it could mean a bluff, relying on the fact that you don't have the flush, since, as you rightly point out, the big hearts are already on the table, and you certainly have played as though you have high cards. You don't have the odds to call if he does have the flush, even with your outs, but factoring in the possibility that often enough it could be a move, you would probably be ok to make the call. A smart player, who if he has you on high cards, would have figured out that a set is highly likely, and wouldn't want to give you the correct odds to call, would play this way, and an aggressive thinker with any two cards could play this way, if he thought you might fold a better hand.

By min-raising the turn, he has basically turned his hand face up. He is saying, I have two hearts, and thumbing his nose and blowing raspberries. Wacha gonna do about it? Bad play. Bad, bad play.

To make the call here, you have to put in another $2.80, and that is around 21.5% of the total pot after your call. When you run the hands through equilator, you find that you will improve nearly 23% of the time, meaning, even if this was all in, you could still make the call. The good thing here is, he has given you the opportunity to reserve 34 Big Blinds worth of money. You can hold that back. In the 77% of the time you don't improve, you can fold, and you haven't lost anything equity wise. The 23% of the time you do improve, you get to put 34BB more in the pot, and he will call, and you will win. That's how I read this hand.