building a solid mindset (45 sng's)

• LetsGambleBaby
      LetsGambleBaby
      Global
      My name is Rik, i'm 25 years old and i play poker for around 8 a 9 months know.

I was always active on the dutch forum

i started for several times whit a new bankroll and went a lot of times broke and started over, but i was never realy listening to people advices and always ended up playing to high, played on NL100/NL200, didnt put it in my blog and lied about it, so thats one of the reasons i'm not active there anymore.

The first couple of months i played poker, i realy was learning a lot, reading all the bronze and silver articles, i followed every coaching and was beating NL5 and NL10 over a big sample.

i moved to SH and was beating also NL5 and NL10 there.

the problem i always had was my bankroll management and my tilt.

I'm now playing some freerolls and micro limits tournaments for fun today, but tomorrow i'm gonna start to put some effort in building a strong mindset.

My goal for the month august:

Getting articles and read books about mindset and tilt.

Read books about bankroll management

When i'm thinking my mindset is getting stronger, gonna think about start playing again and try to beat the limits over a decent sample

i dont make the intro to long. My english is also not that good, so just ask me something and i will anwer it.

All tips are welcome, so maybe you have experience whit tilting and getting broke over and over again, what worked for you?
  • 298 replies
    • FlashDavin
      FlashDavin
      Bronze
      Hello and welcome!

I set a stop loss of 3 BI's. If I lose that much in a day I just quit or at least take a long break to re-focus. If I feel I'm not playing my A or B game, then I just stop and take a break as well. Maybe post some hands, read some articles or watch a video.
    • LetsGambleBaby
      LetsGambleBaby
      Global
      Originally posted by FlashDavin
      Hello and welcome!

I set a stop loss of 3 BI's. If I lose that much in a day I just quit or at least take a long break to re-focus. If I feel I'm not playing my A or B game, then I just stop and take a break as well. Maybe post some hands, read some articles or watch a video.

Hello and thank you :D

i read this already in a lot of articles and i was always thinking by myself, no when i loose 3 times whit my AA from KK, that are just bad beats, so why should i stop???

i think this should be a basis thing for me to do, because in they end this kind of hands and big downswings in a short time, wil help me going on tilt and then i start to go on higher limits to make up my loses, because i think "i was playing right, so i'm better than them, so i can win it back" and that kind of result orientated thinking.

So the first point i wil work out is a stop loss limit for myself.
    • FlashDavin
      FlashDavin
      Bronze
      Chasing losses becomes a scary thing, and that's certainly how you can go busto quickly. I personally never chase losses except play more on the limit I am rolled for. I am very strict about moving up a limit and having at least 25 BI's for said limit.

My personal stop loss is 3 BI's. I almost hit it today, even though I had massive coolers (check my blog from today lol).
    • thazar
      thazar
      Bronze
      Welcome to the English Community

;)

BRM is the number one rule in poker, then is knowing then to quit. Recognizing tilt is a skill on its own. I wish you the best of luck and will follow your blog
    • LetsGambleBaby
      LetsGambleBaby
      Global
      thank you :) thazar

tomorrow i wil start whit a daily update where i wil put my daily goals and achievements for that day
    • LetsGambleBaby
      LetsGambleBaby
      Global
      my planning for today:

read 3 articles about mindset

look and react in the hand evaluation sector

i'm gonna search for a video about mindset/tilt

What i have done till now:

:spade: The Mental Side
    • LetsGambleBaby
      LetsGambleBaby
      Global
      my planning for today:

read 3 articles about mindset

look and react in the hand evaluation sector

i'm gonna search for a video about mindset/tilt

What i have done till now:

:spade: The Mental Side
      what did i learned from it:

I did read a book about mindset and after the book i was so concentrated whit every decision that i played great.

After i while, i think i forgot it or something and started to play on the automatic pilot again.

In the meantime i'm always checken my mail, looking at the forum etc.. so the tables never have my full attention, what is ofc pretty bad, i have to fully concentrate en play my a-game otherwise its -EV on the long term.

What can i do to play my A-game all the time.

:club: I'm gonna take the checklist, which i maked already a couple of months ago en only start when i did everything what is on that paper.

:club: if i lose more than 3BI's i will stop and at least take a 2 houre rest.
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      This sounds interesting. :)

I think you may be getting the idea here, small steps in a long walk. Just try a little at a time and move on when you feel comfortable with the latest bits.
      Discipline is a skill more than an instinct.

Best regards on your journey,

Mal.
    • LetsGambleBaby
      LetsGambleBaby
      Global
      Yesterday i didnt reach my planning, because i had some other things to do (girl :P )

So.... i'm gonna look for a video about mindset and tilt and gonna look to that first, when i ready whit that i wil look to 2 articles and gonna studie it and make some notes.

On the end i wil look to the hand evaluation section and give some comments and look to the comments of other people.

Thats my planning for today, i'm gonna start whit it right now!

Do somebody have some tips for a good article?
    • LetsGambleBaby
      LetsGambleBaby
      Global
      The Mental Game

I just watch the video The Mental Game and can tell you watch it!!! its a great video. Bogdan showed a website >> EV++ where you can fill in some numbers ...winrate etc.. and the poker variance simulator whill tell you what can happen in your session. I never thought that variance had so much influance on your game.

So for people who are also have some problems whith tilt, watch this video!!

What can you do to control you results:

:club: Play the best poker you can (A-game) al the time.
      :club: Table selection >> you can control whit who you sitting on the table
      :club: Your inviorment
      :club: Your mental state >> thinking about sport, eating healthy etc..

What can infect your game and can't be controlled, but is about randomnes

:club: Cards that been dealt to you, its all about randomnes, so its possible that you are "unlucky" and have a losing session, also when you play your A-game for whole the session.

Downswing:

A part of variance: so dont try to fix your game when you have a losing session, or more after eachother, its possible that's do to the variance and the randomnes of the cards who been dealt to you.

How can you see if its about downswing or just not playing your a-game:

Start doing session evaluations on a regular basis:

:club: making video's

:club: hand evaluations in your database.

So dont watch the results and make conclussions about that, but watch your game!
    • M0na1isa
      M0na1isa
      Bronze
      Hey mate

I'm not sure how well received these are in the community but I certainly liked them and recommend them to you:

The Poker Mindset: Essential Attitudes for Poker Success
      By Matthew Hilger & Ian Taylor

The Mental Game of Poker: Proven Strategies for Improving Tilt Control, Confidence, Motivation, Coping with Variance, and More
      By Jared Tendler & Barry Carter

Can find both on Amazon.

Cheers
    • LetsGambleBaby
      LetsGambleBaby
      Global
      Originally posted by M0na1isa
      Hey mate

I'm not sure how well received these are in the community but I certainly liked them and recommend them to you:

The Poker Mindset: Essential Attitudes for Poker Success
      By Matthew Hilger & Ian Taylor

The Mental Game of Poker: Proven Strategies for Improving Tilt Control, Confidence, Motivation, Coping with Variance, and More
      By Jared Tendler & Barry Carter

Can find both on Amazon.

Cheers
      Ok great! i'm gonna read these, the poker mindset i had already, but my laptop crashed, so it's gone :facepalm:
    • LetsGambleBaby
      LetsGambleBaby
      Global
      Post-modern pre-flop mindset: Information and adaptation processes in NLHESH

I nice and good article, but also very hard to read and understand, i think i have to read this one a few more times, to fully understand it.

Maybe its also because its in english, its not that good, so.....but i will learn :D
    • LetsGambleBaby
      LetsGambleBaby
      Global
      Stop-Loss Limits - Pulling the Ripcord

great article which i read a few months a go also, but i never got it and used it, now i see the importancy of it, because its true that a few bad beats will infect you or that you sit on a table who isnt's profitable, but you just dont see it, or you try to beat a opponent who is just better (pride)

I will use the next stop-loss limit, print it out and put it next to my screen when i start to play again:

:spade: Leave a table by: Losing 3 BI's

:spade: Stop a session by: Losing 5 BI's

:spade: After a break i will look the results and reevaluate my stop-loss limits.

:spade: I will take a break from at least 15 minutes after every 45 minutes i played

:spade: I will stop my session when i'm making a bad decision due to tilt (when i'm aware of it ofcourse)
    • LetsGambleBaby
      LetsGambleBaby
      Global
      :club: just looked into the hand evaluation session and give some comments there, my studie for today is finessed.

I just deposit 50 euro, this will be my start balance and i will start on NL2 SH.

:spade: I'm gonna start a session right now for 45 minutes and use my stop-loss limits

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/513/startnl211812.png/
    • LetsGambleBaby
      LetsGambleBaby
      Global
      I just played my first session whit this BR on NL2.

Very easy to beat i think, just playing straight forward and get as most value you can whit your strong hands, also alot of callingstations here who cannot get away so get thin value on the river.

280 hands on 4 tables in 50 minutes, winrate 59,31/100 , so €3,31

i dont gonna right it down al my sessions, just wanna right down the first one, after this one i'm gonna look to my results every week, because i dont wanna focus on my results, but on my play.
    • LetsGambleBaby
      LetsGambleBaby
      Global
      From TwiceT's thread:

nobody is born with a good poker mindset imo. if u work/play in markets with many random outcomes, u rly need to be prepared.

reading the basics (poker mindset by hilger) and listening to tommy angelo's stuff is a good start.

however, to rly get a good mindset, u have question yourself all the time. take a walk in the park or forrest and think rly hard what mindset actually is, what tilt is, why u tilt, what causes these feelings, if it makes sense to tilt.

after asking yourself enough of those questions and if u rly want to become a poker pro, the only way is to develop your own poker mindset. its def the most important prerequesite for long term success.
      even if u are the best in the world and bust your roll all the times vs the toughest opponents on highest limits, u will have nothing in the end. only being poker genius is not enough.

how to keep it? as with everything in life or poker. be self critical. the moment u make a mindset mistake, ask yourself why it happened. then change it. make it better next time

so what i learned from it:

I have already a bad mindset, because i went broke several time's, so i have to focus more than others on this aspect, from now on i will make a note after every session review about the mistakes i made and why i maded it.

tomorrow i'm gonna look for this >> reading the basics (poker mindset by hilger) and listening to tommy angelo's stuff is a good start.
    • LetsGambleBaby
      LetsGambleBaby
      Global
      i just finish my second session of today and i played ok, didnt focus for the realy 100% i think, because i was a bit tirred, so i stopped after 45 minutes and dont play anymore today. It was better that i stopped after 30 minutes because i made 2 little mistakes there, because of not playing my A-game for the whole 100%. So for the next time....i have to watch it more than i already did.

For today i stop whit poker and go to eat something......

Tomorrow morning i will find some articles and videos to studie and i will play only one session and maybe 2 when i'm fit enough after studie and the first session.
    • ShaQQ
      ShaQQ
      Bronze
      Building a solid mindset is exactly that, layering knowledge, discipline, patience and strategy, just not all at the same time.
      Some problems will be solved faster than others, some will be a challenge, but the learning process is just a carrot on a stick and you just have to persevere, whether you grab it or not it doesn't really matter, what matters is the process in which you took to achieve your goals and being able to successfully apply what you're learning on a regular basis.
      You must never settle on what you know, and carry on solving even the smallest of problems as this will be rewarded long term.
      The content here is written by people who have already either made your mistakes, or mistakes you will make in the future, mistakes are a good thing, just plug leaks as you go either by experience or by the content you're reading / watching.

Regards,

Paul.