CO: $15.54 - VPIP: 21, PFR: 13, 3B: 9, AF: 3.0, Hands: 114
      BTN: $8.16 - VPIP: 26, PFR: 24, 3B: 14, AF: 2.0, Hands: 42
      SB: $7.01 - VPIP: 33, PFR: 21, 3B: 6, AF: 9.0, Hands: 52
      Hero (BB): $10.32 - VPIP: 23, PFR: 20, 3B: 5, AF: 3.8, Hands: 105891
      UTG: $11.32 - VPIP: 23, PFR: 14, 3B: 6, AF: 1.0, Hands: 197
      MP: $10.00 - VPIP: 17, PFR: 16, 3B: 11, AF: 0.0, Hands: 117

Pre Flop: ($0.15) Hero is BB with K :club: 9 :club:
      4 folds, SB raises to $0.30, Hero calls $0.20

Flop: ($0.60) 6 :spade: 6 :club: T :diamond: (2 players)
      SB bets $0.30, Hero calls $0.30

Turn: ($1.20) 3 :spade: (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $0.70, SB folds

So I decided to try and improve my cold calling play and went for a bit fancier play than I am used to.

Is domination not too important an aspect for me to make a call in this spot preflop?

Also, given the fact that even if I do hit TP on the turn it might be dominated is it not too great a decision to float there on the flop? I thought that with raising I don't exactly represent much but since I guess it is not too great an idea to call in this spot without being willing to play back on such flops, folding would be too weak.

Of course, the BD FD helps.

Am I not taking your advice on improving this aspect of my game too far with this play?
  • 5 replies
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello Avatars91,

Well, if we are playing those hands then we also have to take stabs on him, although I might even threw right on the flop a raise vs his weak CB size.

But either to Call it preflop or not depends a lot on the opponent, we can't really hope to overplay a assumed loose guy who doesn't have a full stack. We don't have that many hands dominated, so the only value comes if we assume we getting paid often times when we hit big. Although seems to be so far pretty aggressive, so those hands might be difficult to play.

Best Regards.
      Bronze
      1) So I am getting the impression that maybe this hand should have been folded preflop since I can't exactly guarantee that I am getting paid off often very big from what I have seen thus far?

2) Also, what are your thoughts on 3Betting this hand instead of calling? Which would be the superior option? Villain is not full-stacked so that's bad, but since I had not 3Bet before it would maybe be worth a try to see how he reacts (although, is it not too often the case that guys that are not exactly full-stacked are bad enough to make too many calls against 3Bets even OOP?)

3) One additional question in the context of what you told me earlier about 2nd-barreling after cBetting a dry rainbow low card flop on any turn card (I think that any turn card is basically what you meant) – if I raise the flop here, don't I often times have to be willing to keep betting on the turn as well? Since I am trying to represent a strong range there.

4) About raising: don't we have problems with representing a hand? Without history it is somewhat difficult to represent trips or a FH since often times we would just simply call to keep his weaker hands in his range. For that reason and also for the reason that villain seems aggressive, we could be facing either 3Bets or calls from medium pairs too often.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      1) So I am getting the impression that maybe this hand should have been folded preflop since I can't exactly guarantee that I am getting paid off often very big from what I have seen thus far?

Well, it's possible to play but we also have to know against what guy we play, what's his stealing range and so on. With just oh lets Call and hope to it we wont play it profitable. Nor you don't have many Kx hands dominated. It's of course possible to play but then again comes into handy what's your postflop skill edge on the guy and how much fold equity you expect to have postflop and much more.

2) Also, what are your thoughts on 3Betting this hand instead of calling? Which would be the superior option? Villain is not full-stacked so that's bad, but since I had not 3Bet before it would maybe be worth a try to see how he reacts (although, is it not too often the case that guys that are not exactly full-stacked are bad enough to make too many calls against 3Bets even OOP?)

3betting vs loose opponents is pointless, you should rather be 3betting mainly for value like KQ type of hands not those holdings which will be hardly dominated when you get called. Instead of 3betting I'd prefer calling.

3) One additional question in the context of what you told me earlier about 2nd-barreling after cBetting a dry rainbow low card flop on any turn card (I think that any turn card is basically what you meant) – if I raise the flop here, don't I often times have to be willing to keep betting on the turn as well? Since I am trying to represent a strong range there.

No, we don't have to always Bet the turn, we have decent hand which has also backdoors. Vs loose guy you wont have much fold equity anyways with 2nd barreling. The idea of it is to gain fold equity vs his weak CB and also secure a free card for river.

4) About raising: don't we have problems with representing a hand? Without history it is somewhat difficult to represent trips or a FH since often times we would just simply call to keep his weaker hands in his range. For that reason and also for the reason that villain seems aggressive, we could be facing either 3Bets or calls from medium pairs too often.

Take a look at the opponent and then ask again the question if there is even any point to ask it.
      Bronze
      Take a look at the opponent and then ask again the question if there is even any point to ask it.

I assume you are implying that villain is quite likely not competent enough to do anything about it/play back? Given also the fact into account that we are talking about NL10?
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Originally posted by Avatars91

I assume you are implying that villain is quite likely not competent enough to do anything about it/play back? Given also the fact into account that we are talking about NL10?
      He most likely doesn't understand that if you can represent or not. :P