How to deal wi0th frustration when the fish beats you.

• SharkOfSpade
      SharkOfSpade
      Basic
      I am playing constantly for a year now. At start this shit boddered me, but than I managed to stay cool, and in a long time, I expierienced the same feeling again.

So.. I was playing sit n go with some people. 8 players, unlimited re-buys and wery slow structure (15 min. blinds and they go up as fallows. 5/10 10/20 15/30 20/40 25/50 and so on. I think these are pretty good condishions for a TAG like me, to grind. So, allmost everybodey else are Loose cannons with NO postflop skills. There are only 2 who had any knowlage about some concepts. One is pretty good with good postflop skills, he is also a LAG, but he can read opponents hands e.t.c. He is not terrible I guess.

Ok, so other guys are just awfull, and than I met this cocky guy. Wery bad player (lims with UTG 3x raise with 107o and shit like that. And when you ask him, why did he do it, he answers, that you can win with those cards (offcorse you can, but what are the odds :D ).

SO this guy is cocky. No proffesion additude. THere where situations, when he is a dealer, and somebodey has folded cards (he too), than when he takes the folders cards, he looks at them, and when we tell him, that you can't do it, he replies with this tone:'"We are having a friendly game. What are everybodey crying here. Relax!!". Or other situations, when I was bluffing, and the shortstack cought my bluff and gotten double up (he was tight, desperate in BB and the board was KQJs, and I pushed his all-in. He made a call with Q3 and got 2pair at river). After his doubleup, the asshole looked at me, and again said with his annoying voice:"Good job!!". Seriously, wtf.

Than, when like the luckbox he is, he pushed out 3 guys at 1 hand, and went in the chip lead. (I was chip leader before). So we are heads up. I got around 3000 chips, he got 9000.

Because, I dont like rely on luck, and started getting too trashy hands, I folded 5 times in a row. And than again he made a remark, that this isn't poker (the way I play).
      Than I snaped, and said that he isn't that good player, to make those remarks. THat he doesen't know shit about the game, but acts like superstar. Than he said that he is tired (we were playing for 6 hours straight), and suggested, that we bolth go blindly all-in before the flop. I said, that I don't like to rely on luck, and I dont play that way. He replied that this is luck game anyway. Than I really snaped, and told him, that I leave that going blindly all-in to stupid asswipes like him. THis is skill game, and you dont know shit about it.

Than he asked me, do I think I am a pro, where I answered, that I think, I am avarage, but if we compare he as a player, and me, than I am waaay better, because he have a logic of a 12 year old.

So we are playing on, and he is going all-in with every hand pre-flop (because he didn't want to play on, and get ti all-in). I was SB and recieved 99 (blinds ar e100/200). I just call, because I know, he will go all-in, and he did, and I called It. I got double up, so now we have 6000 : 6000 . I keep playing tight. I allready have gone to 7500 : 4500 Again in SB, I recieve AQ, flat call, he pushes, I call. He shows K8. Ok flop nothing. Turn still good, and a river 8. SO I lost.

DIdn't say anything. Just stood up, and give my hand to him (offered a hand shake). And whyle SITING he shook my hand, he said:"Gues I am much better than you. Good job good player". Again with his fucking tone.

I was so angry. ussualy I handle the bad betas and the bad players, who think, that after wining 1 sit n go they are a good players, because I know, that they get reckless, and the next 7 times will lose.

But I cant shake this off. Still, when I think about this, I get really mad. I won 20 eiros and he won 120. (sadly big difference). If it would be the same situation, but I would lose to any other of the players there, I would accept it like ice cold (as usual), BUT I can't shake this off. He really got to me. More I think about it, the more I wan't to go, and kick his ass (ofcourse I won't do it. i wont fith because I lost in a poker game, but I guess what I want to say is, that I am really pissed).

I don't know why I made this post. Mabey I just wanted to tell somebodey the story from my point of view, or mabey get some good advice. :)

BTW where I am from, I make that 1st place winnings in one week (I'm still 17 :D )
  • 17 replies
    • zobupasts
      zobupasts
      Bronze
      Originally posted by SharkOfSpade
      Than I snaped, and said that he isn't that good player, to make those remarks. THat he doesen't know shit about the game, but acts like superstar.
      DON'T EVER DO THAT AGAIN!

As you get more experience it becomes easier to handle bad beats. Fish makes this game profitable. I love fish!
    • evertonroar
      evertonroar
      Bronze
      Tldr
    • mute20
      mute20
      Bronze
      I usually just get it all out so I am not steaming for the rest of the time. Then evaluate what I did wrong(if i did) then move on.
    • Maloco87
      Maloco87
      Bronze
      it annoys me too when bad players win and they think they are good, all you have to do is win more often than them or win a large amount in a tourney and when they say they are btter than you, you can just smile and shrug it off because you know he is full of crap
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze
      Hey hey,

Yeh the more you play and the more you learn, the easier it becomes to laugh these things off and the more you wont mind so much losing to bad players because you know they will play you again the next time. But if you start to tell them they suck and make them feel bad about playing bad the less likely they are to show up at the next game.

Also you probably played right into his hands by reacting. When people act like that they are usually looking for a reaction and you gave him just what he wanted this time.

Anyway next time apologise for snapping at him (even if it hurts) and keep him in the good books, if you keep him sweet he won't notice how much money he's donating to you

Good luck
      Carl
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Originally posted by Maloco87
      it annoys me too when bad players win and they think they are good, all you have to do is win more often than them or win a large amount in a tourney and when they say they are btter than you, you can just smile and shrug it off because you know he is full of crap
      Ego is a tough handicap.

Just relax and realize that as long as you make the correct play, in the long run you will win.

If he thinks he is ALREADY better than average, then he is less likely to study and grow.

You can only improve with humility and hard work.

In poker, as in life, attitude and effort are the only two things that you can provide. All else grows from those two things.

Have a look at the threads in the "Learning to Win" forum for much more on the mental game.

Cheers,
      --VS
    • Resilence
      Resilence
      Bronze
      Originally posted by VorpalF2F

You can only improve with humility and hard work.
      Nice put I like this :f_biggrin:
    • mute20
      mute20
      Bronze
      The only real way I see you can get past it totally is by outplaying them. Do not make this your goal, since your focus on beating one player shouldn't influence your play.
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze
      Originally posted by mute20
      The only real way I see you can get past it totally is by outplaying them. Do not make this your goal, since your focus on beating one player shouldn't influence your play.
      Yeh just keep playing the best you can if he wins congratulate him knowing that in the long run guys like him will make you rich
    • ghaleon
      ghaleon
      Black
      Originally posted by ExternalUseOnly
      Originally posted by mute20
      Yeh just keep playing the best you can if he wins congratulate him knowing that in the long run guys like him will make you rich
      Yep don't give feedback on villains play. No need to improve the fish who will give your salary in long run :)

I only make comments on others play when playing against people I think as friends or "poker buddies" in some cases. Even those are mostly just small local live games which I don't take that seriously (low buyin). Still trying to play good obviously.

But if those live games have considerable weight on your incomes I would have more of professional attitude and try to keep level of play as weak as possible.
    • StrategyLofthouse
      StrategyLofthouse
      Bronze
      When he is leaving follow him outside and punch him on the nose

:D
    • ArkhamAsylum
      ArkhamAsylum
      Bronze
      baseball bat time ...................not really
    • ragney
      ragney
      Bronze
      i often write "nh" to encourage fish keep playing they way they are

99% of the cash game players (sh/fr) dont know what variance is... running 5-10bi below ev? oh plz, try MTTs/HU where 50bi swings are pretty std
    • asteele82
      asteele82
      Bronze
      Originally posted by ragney
      i often write "nh" to encourage fish keep playing they way they are

99% of the cash game players (sh/fr) dont know what variance is... running 5-10bi below ev? oh plz, try MTTs/HU where 50bi swings are pretty std
      Then consider we have $20 starting capital to build a bankroll.

I was doing okay until I was beaten 5 times on the river with various draws (once where they landed quad 2's against my nut flush when stack was already 70% in the pot so called the rest off).

All variance and it happens, especially in single sessions, easy to take. What's harder to take is the fact I'm running at -$70 all-in EV on cash & -$15 on SnG after 5k hands (from $20 starting roll) and now I have $2 in my account. I've had three starting bankrolls and each one I've bust after being -$70 to -$150 down all-in EV wise around 5k hands.

Not going to invest my own money after that am I.
    • JustJoe55
      JustJoe55
      Bronze
      Stay quiet grin and bear it. They will NEVER make it. The more they play the more they lose. You wait till you make him collect chips for you and you stelthly feed off him.
    • nefarious26
      nefarious26
      Bronze
      if it effects you that much then its your attitude that is bad not his, i bet you tilt like fuck online?
    • ipeaceonu
      ipeaceonu
      Bronze
      Originally posted by asteele82

Not going to invest my own money after that am I.
      Playing $2.50 and $3.5r 180 mans I am currently on a $500 downswing, don't sweat it. If your downswing never ends you know your just bad. As for running under ev, I have never been anywhere near to being over ev in my lifetime graph, thats just how it is, some people gonna always be over ev, some people always gonna be under. If your one of those unfortunate anomalies that are at the extremes of -ev then thats just unlucky and no matter how well you play you aint gonna be over ev. This does not mean you can not be a winning player it just means your not gonna win as much as "expected", hard cheese just suck it up find an outlet for your anger or just stop playing. We all have a choice.