Poker terminology: Cold calling, flat calling

Bronze
      A few questions for the sake of coherence:

1) If hero calls, for example, UTG raise from BTN, is that technically a Cold call?
      2) Is overcalling still considered Cold calling?
      3) Is there a difference between Cold calling and flat calling?
  • 6 replies
    • tieppofer
      tieppofer
      Bronze
      The answer for the first question is yes (I said no before, but I had forgotten about the blinds :p), as for the second one... no.

Yes, theres a difference between cold call and flat call:

Cold call is calling an amount that is a sum of multiple bets - for example - UTG bets, CO raises, BU calls.

Flat call is calling when a raise is expected, example, you have AA, the flop is Axx, you bet, villain raise, you just call.

Cheers :f_cool:
    • redskwerl
      redskwerl
      Black
      1) yes
      2) i'd say no, but i'm not sure. i guess it depends on why you're looking at the situation
      3) yes. the term flatcall is generally used to contrast calling with raising, when raising is also a reasonable option
      Bronze
      Cold call is calling an amount that is a sum of multiple bets - for example - UTG bets, CO raises, BU calls.

So consequently calling a cBet on the flop is not cold calling, since there is only 1 bet, whereas on the flop you already have the blinds, which is the first bet, and the raise (2nd bet)?

2) i'd say no, but i'm not sure. i guess it depends on why you're looking at the situation

I'm asking because I am curious whether the Call Open stat in HEM2 (which, as far as I understand, technically accounts for ColdCalling openraises) accounts for overcalls as well. No ideas? :(
    • tieppofer
      tieppofer
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Avatars91

So consequently calling a cBet on the flop is not cold calling, since there is only 1 bet, whereas on the flop you already have the blinds, which is the first bet, and the raise (2nd bet)?
      Unless someone raises the cbet and you call, it's not cold calling, it may be a flat call though. Preflop the blinds are the 1st bet, the raise is the second one, so the call is a cold call.
    • redskwerl
      redskwerl
      Black
      Originally posted by Avatars91
      I'm asking because I am curious whether the Call Open stat in HEM2 (which, as far as I understand, technically accounts for ColdCalling openraises) accounts for overcalls as well. No ideas? :(
      no idea, but i think u might be able to add it as a filter and look at a few hands to find out
      if that doesnt work you can always ask at the HEM support forums
      Bronze
      Thanks for your help!