MP: $13.79 - VPIP: 18, PFR: 17, 3B: 11, AF: 3,8, Hands: 444
      CO: $11.35 - VPIP: 35, PFR: 29, 3B: 29, AF: 0,0, Hands: 17
      BTN: $10.00 - VPIP: 13, PFR: 13, 3B: 25, AF: 0,0, Hands: 8
      SB: $3.78 - VPIP: 33, PFR: 2, 3B: 0, AF: 3,0, Hands: 55
      Hero (BB): $10.15 - VPIP: 23, PFR: 19, 3B: 5, AF: 4,4, Hands: 44651
      UTG: $13.26 - VPIP: 12, PFR: 12, 3B: 0, AF: 0,0, Hands: 17

Pre Flop: ($0.15) Hero is BB with Q :heart: 7 :heart:
      4 folds, SB calls $0.05, Hero raises to $0.40, SB calls $0.30

Flop: ($0.80) 6 :diamond: T :heart: Q :diamond: (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $0.50, SB calls $0.50

Turn: ($1.80) A :spade: (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero checks

River: ($1.80) 3 :spade: (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero checks

There are several questions that come into my mind regarding this situation:

1) So far I have been raising an almost ATC range against opencompleters unless they are very very short or very very loose postflop. I have seen coaches do it in their videos and even declaring loudly that their range in such spots is ATC, but I wanted to know what you think about this?

2) In this particular situation the opponent is far from fullstacked. Not exactly a shortstack but still. What are your thoughts on raising a hand like this against his stack? Should I be willing to go broke with a hit if I am raising this?

Postflop should be fine.
  • 5 replies
    • Gerv
      Gerv
      Bronze
      Hello Avatars,

I think I agree that raising ATC is sometimes pretty +EV because people have too wide of a range when opencompleting and are folding a lot preflop & postflop. Mind you that ranges are not set in stone so sometimes I raise a more robust range whenever I feel my opponent is not folding enough versus my raises/bets/pressure

When you play against a midstack, you have to calculate the SPR (stack to pot ratio) and determine whether he is going to be extremely committed postflop. Since the SPR is around 4 in this case, he is not extremely committed. Furthermore it also gives you access in how to plan your hand since you simply have to make 2 bets in order to be all-in with him

Best regards,
      Gerv
      Bronze
      So, if the SPR is lower (how small does it have to be for us to declare the opponent as technically "committed"?), our range becomes tighter?

How much tighter are we talking about? Are we constantly adjusting our range towards the more tighter side as the SPR is slowly going down, i.e. : SPR = 4, we raise ATC, SPR = 3.8 we raise 95%, SPR = 3.5, we raise 85% <– in this manner?

How low does the SPR have to be for us to start raising only such hands with which we are willing to go broke postflop (with a hit with non-PP hands e.g.)?
    • Gerv
      Gerv
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Avatars91
      So, if the SPR is lower (how small does it have to be for us to declare the opponent as technically "committed"?), our range becomes tighter?
      Yes <3 SPR generally

How much tighter are we talking about? Are we constantly adjusting our range towards the more tighter side as the SPR is slowly going down, i.e. : SPR = 4, we raise ATC, SPR = 3.8 we raise 95%, SPR = 3.5, we raise 85% <– in this manner?
      No I would be like a lightswitch where I see a guy being committed to easily then I just raise a strong range that can hit flops well. If I think he is not committed easily I happily triple my frequency

How low does the SPR have to be for us to start raising only such hands with which we are willing to go broke postflop (with a hit with non-PP hands e.g.)?
      Where the SPR is 1 since it only takes us 1 potsized bet to be all-in
      Bronze
      If the SPR is 2, which is still a very small value, can we still be raising with a wide range, assuming that we are raising also a bit smaller (e.g. to 3BBs)?

I would imagine that with the SPR being 2, we are still committed on the flop with a TP.
    • Gerv
      Gerv
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Avatars91
      If the SPR is 2, which is still a very small value, can we still be raising with a wide range, assuming that we are raising also a bit smaller (e.g. to 3BBs)?

I would imagine that with the SPR being 2, we are still committed on the flop with a TP.
      Yes we can that is why it is pretty hard to give you a guide because everything is dynamic and possibilities are quite endless

Best regards,
      Gerv