MP: $10.15 - VPIP: 29, PFR: 19, 3B: 0, AF: 2,4, Hands: 77
      CO: $10.15 - VPIP: 17, PFR: 17, 3B: 10, AF: 0,3, Hands: 29
      BTN: $10.00 - VPIP: 26, PFR: 21, 3B: 0, AF: 3,0, Hands: 58
      SB: $4.17 - VPIP: 33, PFR: 2, 3B: 0, AF: 3,0, Hands: 55
      Hero (BB): $11.25 - VPIP: 23, PFR: 19, 3B: 5, AF: 4,4, Hands: 44651
      UTG: $10.22 - VPIP: 18, PFR: 17, 3B: 20, AF: 2,3, Hands: 226

Pre Flop: ($0.15) Hero is BB with T :heart: Q :heart:
      3 folds, BTN raises to $0.20, SB calls $0.15, Hero calls $0.10

Flop: ($0.60) 8 :heart: 8 :diamond: T :club: (3 players)
      SB bets $0.10, Hero calls $0.10, BTN folds

Turn: ($0.80) 8 :club: (2 players)
      SB bets $0.10, Hero raises to $0.50, SB calls $0.40

River: ($1.80) Q :diamond: (2 players)
      SB bets $3.37, Hero calls $3.37

An interesting hand for sure.

So my reads: I have seen villain choosing a somewhat similar line like this as a bluff before: in a HU pot, donkbet small with a small pocket pair with 2 overcards on the flop and a FD possible, donkbet small on a blank turn and donkbet 3/4 on a blankish river without a hit.

It's somewhat difficult for me to make the fold on the river since the only hands that beat me and that make sense are 8x and TT(unlikely). Then again, with which other hand does he call the turn raise and overpush the river? Maybe villain has J9 and has misread the board or is tilting (a hasty assumption). Anyway, a difficult fold for me to make. Only for the reason that villain represents a very narrow range with few combos.

One thing about the flop though: could I maybe raise the flop to protect against overcards or J9? I was afraid that I would isolate myself against a strong range by raising the flop there.
  • 5 replies
    • Gerv
      Gerv
      Bronze
      Hey,

I think you pretty much have to raise the Flop as this mindonk is severely weak. Calling is fine but I think you are often getting into difficult spots later on when he starts doing funky stuff.

As played I would be very happy to call the River, it looks like 8x because it is played uberfunky (mindonk, mindonk/call, overbetshove)

I think either way is possible but I'm not folding this :P

Best regards,
      Gerv
      Bronze
      What could villain have that he mindonk/calls the turn and overshoves the river with that we beat?

It's a difficult laydown but anything other than an 8 just makes no sense without reads. Maybe it doesn't have to make sense for him and he indeed is doing something bad with a worse hand but still a difficult decision.

That read about the situation where he played similarly as a bluff (just not with an overbet on the river) is what made me call at the end of the day.
    • Gerv
      Gerv
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Avatars91
      What could villain have that he mindonk/calls the turn and overshoves the river with that we beat?

It's a difficult laydown but anything other than an 8 just makes no sense without reads. Maybe it doesn't have to make sense for him and he indeed is doing something bad with a worse hand but still a difficult decision.

That read about the situation where he played similarly as a bluff (just not with an overbet on the river) is what made me call at the end of the day.
      Yeah reads are making your life easier & this is one of the spots where folding the River is mathematically wrong due combinatorics unless you saw him doing this at least twice with the nuts which does not happen often
      Bronze
      this is one of the spots where folding the River is mathematically wrong due combinatorics

I.e., it is hard for him to have an 8 there since 3 of the 8s are already on the board and thus there are fewer 8x combos possible?
    • Gerv
      Gerv
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Avatars91
      this is one of the spots where folding the River is mathematically wrong due combinatorics

I.e., it is hard for him to have an 8 there since 3 of the 8s are already on the board and thus there are fewer 8x combos possible?
      Yes but also his line/betsizing reduces the chance of him having 8x