[NL2-NL10] NL10: KQ OOP <> raise + cold call = overcall?

Bronze
      Poker Stars $10.00 No Limit Hold'em - 5 players - View hand 1851493
      DeucesCracked Poker Videos Hand History Converter

CO: $5.19 - VPIP: 29, PFR: 4, 3B: 0, AF: 1,0, Hands: 28
      BTN: $14.47 - VPIP: 18, PFR: 15, 3B: 4, AF: 2,4, Hands: 251
      SB: $19.18 - VPIP: 29, PFR: 25, 3B: 11, AF: 3,0, Hands: 28
      Hero (BB): $10.00 - VPIP: 23, PFR: 19, 3B: 5, AF: 4,4, Hands: 44651
      UTG: $10.00 - VPIP: 40, PFR: 32, 3B: 0, AF: 6,0, Hands: 25

Pre Flop: ($0.15) Hero is BB with Q :spade: K :diamond:
      UTG raises to $0.30, CO calls $0.30, 3 folds

Flop: ($0.75) T :spade: 6 :heart: J :club: (2 players)
      UTG bets $0.47, CO calls $0.47

Turn: ($1.69) 5 :spade: (2 players)
      UTG checks, CO checks

River: ($1.69) 5 :diamond: (2 players)
      UTG checks, CO bets $0.40, UTG folds

Sort of basic but I still have not really understood whether or not folding in this spot is the best play. Being OOP is not really that cool, but one opponent is loose passive and the other one seems to have a somewhat loose range as well. Is calling here not +EV? What if neither of the opponents were particularly loose/bad?
  • 3 replies
    • Gerv
      Gerv
      Bronze
      Hello Avatars91,

Assuming UTG plays really loose-aggressive, I have no problem squeezing here for straight up value. He has to fold a lot of times & if he is not , you are dominating his broadway range since has so many QT,KJ,KT crap

Calling preflop is also viable but then you have to bluff a lot whenever you miss to grind out a profit versus 2 ; playing fit or fold is not going to be profitable

Best regards,
      Gerv
      Bronze
      Calling preflop is also viable but then you have to bluff a lot whenever you miss to grind out a profit versus 2 ; playing fit or fold is not going to be profitable

1) Does this advice apply to situations when our opposition is TAGgish as well? I.e., can we call (assuming we play back without hits as well)?

2) Does this advice also mean that calling with this hand when there are loose bad players in the pot is not that great? Since then we can't really bluff that much postflop. The reason I ask is that I could imagine that calling with such bad opponents in the pot without the intention of bluffing at all postflop could be doable since we often get paid off when we hit.
    • Gerv
      Gerv
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Avatars91

1) Does this advice apply to situations when our opposition is TAGgish as well? I.e., can we call (assuming we play back without hits as well)?

You can find this out by giving me his openraising range & the callers range ;) Then you can see how you are doing whenever you do not hit, do hit and/or on different boards. Then when calling does or does not seem favourable you can compare it with squeezing preflop

2) Does this advice also mean that calling with this hand when there are loose bad players in the pot is not that great? Since then we can't really bluff that much postflop. The reason I ask is that I could imagine that calling with such bad opponents in the pot without the intention of bluffing at all postflop could be doable since we often get paid off when we hit.
      Again you have to think whether Calling is better versus Squeezing preflop so a ''loose bad player'' is too general in terms of description. You need to know if he folds at all, or keeps calling whenever you squeeze etc.

Generally I like squeezing more than calling out of position due our capped range