Bluffing river with small raise

• getdotacom
      PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $4.00 BB (4 handed) - PokerStars Converter Tool from

Hero (UTG) ($410.39)
      Button ($406)
      SB ($1253.42)
      BB ($564.59)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 10:diamond: , A:diamond:
      Hero bets $10.60, 1 fold, SB raises to $32.29, 1 fold, Hero calls $21.69

Flop: ($68.58) 10:spade: , J:spade: , 2:diamond: (2 players)
      SB bets $46.96, Hero calls $46.96

Turn: ($162.50) K:spade: (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero checks

River: ($162.50) J:diamond: (2 players)
      SB bets $91.92, Hero raises to $204, 1 fold

Total pot: $346.34 | Rake: $1.50

Villain (3-5 players stats)
      36/33/14 AF 3.5, barreling frequencies 77/48/47, 2k hands
      He's super aggro, I think his AF is even higher for 6 players. I've called down against him with weak pairs many times, so I think he's not bluffing vs me that much.

On the turn when he checks I think he has total air and he's giving up or he has some reasonable hand, most likely Jx,QQ and some Kx. So I decided to check back, although this could be OK spot to turn this into a bluff IMO because I can't have that many worse hands.

On the river I'm not 100% sure about his range, but I'll give him something like Kx,Jx and some bluffs, maybe even QQ. What do u think is the best here ? Call/fold/raise small/ship allin ? I think he might fold something like J8s when we ship AI. I decided to go for this smaller raise and hoped that he folds Kx :D
  • 5 replies
    • Castle93
      Just out of curiosity, in your opinion what are trying to rep on the river when you check back an extremely wet board then raise the river? Don't get me wrong I don't think I've good enough to question your play, as after you check back the turn he's Gunna fire that river so often and it's very hard for him to continue without a very strong had, so does it matter your not repling a huge amount?

I might be wrong but id think you d bet sets and 2 pair hand on the turn I protect your hand and charge draws, and by raising the river your attempted to rep a boat or at the very leat a flush, obviously you could have checked back to enduce with a flush or even a set/2 pair that rivered a boat but then would you raise the river with a flush, however, if you did the small raise makes sense. I'm just interested in your thought process as opposed to questioning how you played it

Regards, Alex
    • getdotacom
      Basically I'm trying to rep AJ there. I'm pretty sure he can have Jx at best there, so it's the nuts. Also I might check back that turn with something like AsQx sometimes. He's so aggressive that it's almost impossible for him to have a hand on the turn, so even checking back some flushes could be fine vs him. It's unlikely I can get 3 streets ever after he checks that turn.
    • TheLastNail
      like the line, but i think shove is better for just 100bb vs most as smaller raise indicates weakness, unless opp is rly a big leveler, since i dont rly see much of a reason why u wouldnt want to go AI if u had any Jx esp in a 4handed agro game.

I like ur play more if u re 150bb deep
    • lnternet
      I would certainly start betting turn to turn this into a bluff. I assume you don't raise fds on the flop and you don't 4bet AQ, so your value range is massive. You might have enough bluffs with T8 T9 98, maybe A2 QT, but I find SB not checking slowplays often enough so I don't mind bluffing slightly more than optimal.

Not so sure about river. I don't think calling is out of the question.

If you think he does play Kx this way, and you don't even call AT, then his play is really bad. But if he thinks you don't call AT, cause you don't, he might not bet Kx, so raising Jx is thin, so you rep close to nothing.

So I think a river raise by you should rep JT or a turn check back slowplay, and as such I think you should jam.

In any case, if you think AJ is the nuts for you on the river, I don't see why you would raise so small instead of jamming with that either.

Raising small here for thin value is not necessarily terrible, and balancing that is necessary of course, but it seems very murky here to have that raise-small range.
    • 1mpr0x
      I would like this more if you were deeper. It's probably bad becaus we don't really know if V perceives weakness or strength by our raisesize and I'm not sure if we folded out worse - So yea calling is worth considering. 100BB deep I jam my bluffs and values