DeucesCracked Poker Videos Hand History Converter

Hero (BB): $10.00 - VPIP: 23, PFR: 19, 3B: 5, AF: 4,4, Hands: 44948
      UTG: $13.91 - VPIP: 86, PFR: 41, 3B: 20, AF: 1,8, Hands: 22
      MP: $10.00 - VPIP: 8, PFR: 4, 3B: 0, AF: 0,0, Hands: 26
      CO: $4.77 - VPIP: 36, PFR: 5, 3B: 0, AF: 0,0, Hands: 22
      BTN: $5.00 - VPIP: 22, PFR: 19, 3B: 13, AF: 2,0, Hands: 36
      SB: $16.05 - VPIP: 21, PFR: 15, 3B: 12, AF: 1,6, Hands: 149

Pre Flop: ($0.15) Hero is BB with K :club: Q :spade:
      UTG raises to $0.20, 1 fold, CO calls $0.20, 1 fold, SB calls $0.15, Hero raises to $1.35, UTG calls $1.15, CO calls $1.15, 1 fold

Flop: ($4.25) K :heart: 2 :spade: 9 :diamond: (3 players)
      Hero bets $2.65, UTG calls $2.65, CO folds

Turn: ($9.55) J :club: (2 players)
      Hero checks, UTG bets $0.80, Hero raises to $6, UTG calls $5.20

River: ($21.55) 8 :club: (2 players)

Now this is what I would call a somewhat interesting spot.

I think that 3Betting for value given the fact that the openraiser is such a loose player makes sense.

Now my turn line is what bothers me. When I checked I was sort of hoping that inducing a bluff to keep his range wider would be the superior play since his range might be very loose postflop as well and he might also be the more aggressive type. Looking at the hand now I guess that I should have just simply pushed the turn to protect/gain value against weaker pairs and maybe some GS or something.

Overall, it is not common that I 3bet such a hand for value so this was a fresh spot for me!
  • 7 replies
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello Avatars91,

Against rather loose-passive guys just Bet/Bet instead of Check the turn and let him maybe Check behind with some draws.

Best Regards.
      Bronze
      Had the board been very dry, say – K26r 2, would check/raising be an option? Or would we have to protect against random Ax hands as well? I have seen some check/raises with AA on dry boards on the turn.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Originally posted by Avatars91
      Had the board been very dry, say – K26r 2, would check/raising be an option? Or would we have to protect against random Ax hands as well? I have seen some check/raises with AA on dry boards on the turn.
      Why would you want to Check/Raise in first place? Make those hands to fold which may pay you if you Bet?
      Bronze
      Why would you want to Check/Raise in first place? Make those hands to fold which may pay you if you Bet?

I guess that check/raising really does not make that much sense afterall. The board is dry and there are few if any worse hands that villain has called the flop with with the intention of betting with them on the turn (the idea was that if he bets even half pot he is likely feeling committed and is calling the check/raise even with some random weaker made hands, but I guess that there is no telling how big he'll bet and whether he'll even bet his made hands on the turn). For that reason also, check/calling is not that great either. I guess that pushing is indeed the only play here.

Is my thought process logical?
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black

I guess that check/raising really does not make that much sense afterall. The board is dry and there are few if any worse hands that villain has called the flop with with the intention of betting with them on the turn (the idea was that if he bets even half pot he is likely feeling committed and is calling the check/raise even with some random weaker made hands, but I guess that there is no telling how big he'll bet and whether he'll even bet his made hands on the turn). For that reason also, check/calling is not that great either. I guess that pushing is indeed the only play here.

Is my thought process logical?
      You are totally overthinking here, why do you even make that difficult to understand? How do you play against loose opponent? What's the maximum way to gain value? Obviously Bet/Bet/Bet, so easy is poker.
      Bronze
      But is this kind of thinking not necessary at least in the higher limits? The higher we go the deeper we have to think about spots? I thought it would make sense to start developing one's thinking early on.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      But is this kind of thinking not necessary at least in the higher limits? The higher we go the deeper we have to think about spots? I thought it would make sense to start developing one's thinking early on.
      :f_cry: Why would you play differently @ higher limits vs fish?