NL HU buddies blogging da double

• yoshiwa
      yoshiwa
      Bronze
      Hi all !

Koen and I are coming from NL boards, starting up a duo blog here in the English section. History in short: we started playing HU both like a year ago. With hours and hours of discussion, we worked our ways trough the stakes.
      At some point Koen decided to go pro, i keep playing as a hobby besides my work.

Having both busy lives and owning HU interaction started to lessen abit. Personally i started to focus too much on grinding and making hours, and didn't review/study/... enough anymore.
      As for Koen , well , he just kept doing great, but lost his most difficult sparring partner i guess :P

For the moment i play up to NL200. In an attempt to really take back the time needed to study, we start up this duo blog :)
      Obv you can ask all the questions you want, and please , even more give all the remarks you want, since we are here to study ;)

Not koen and me obv , but made a nice picture to include here :P
  • 190 replies
    • yoshiwa
      yoshiwa
      Bronze
      reserved
    • Gavron23
      Gavron23
      Bronze
      Will follow this - GL :)
    • yoshiwa
      yoshiwa
      Bronze
      yeeeyyy , first follower :D
      We should be posting and crosscommenting alot of hands do feel free to participate in the discussions ;)
    • Gavron23
      Gavron23
      Bronze
      I am a SNG player, but lately have been watching some NLHU videos in order to work on my postflop skills, and have to say this format seems very interesting to me - will ask some questions, offer an oppinion when I don't think I would look to inadequate :D
    • cowboykoen
      cowboykoen
      Bronze
      fg
    • cowboykoen
      cowboykoen
      Bronze
      Hand 1:

Normally i would 3bet about 10 but more likely 11bb because we are a bit deeper then 100bb. The guy was loose pre and very fit/fold and agressive post. But since i didnt 3b much against him because i was only valueplaying him i made it 9bb so he wouldnt fold and maybe 4bet me because the few times i did 3bet him he 4betted me. Not sure if this is the right ajustment, maybe i should have made it 11 but i tried to induce and at least let him call his entire 70% openings range.

On flops he folds 83% so i induced the crap out of him :)

IPoker, $0.50/$1 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 2 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

SB: $123.47 (123.5 bb)
      Hero (BB): $169.93 (169.9 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A Q
      SB raises to $3, Hero raises to $9, SB calls $6

Flop: ($18) 8 4 A (2 players)
      Hero checks, SB bets $56, Hero calls $56

Turn: ($130) 6 (2 players)
      Hero checks, SB bets $58.47 and is all-in, Hero calls $58.47

River: ($246.94) 3 (2 players, 1 is all-in)

Hand 2:
      This guys stats: oR 74 and defend 57%. Cbet 63 on flop and 33 on turn, AF 1,9. Bet vs checks on later streets 100%. 3bet 19%.
      On pTR i saw that he had like 80-100% cbet on River, so i didnt feel like to call 2 times again and i folded, think even without that fact vs this guy the T is a fold?

BB: $121.05 (121.1 bb)
      Hero (SB): $146.25 (146.3 bb)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 9 K
      Hero raises to $3, BB raises to $5, Hero calls $2

Flop: ($10) 7 9 2 (2 players)
      BB bets $7.50, Hero calls $7.50

Turn: ($25) A (2 players)
      BB bets $18.75, Hero folds

Hand 3:
      Same guy as hand 2. F raise standard i guess, especially because he folded very low on the 3 streets. (20/0/0 so far!). T i guess bet/fold is best. Mayb he calls a 1card FD now or is even stupid enoigh to call Ax/4x or a lower pair then 77's. ch/c is worse i guess because is AF is only 1,9 and his range is so wide that if i call i should call twice, but i have no reads at all if he is capable of bluffing twice with like overs, Ax etc.

SB: $119.80 (119.8 bb)
      Hero (BB): $150 (150 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 7 7
      SB raises to $3, Hero calls $2

Flop: ($6) 3 5 2 (2 players)
      Hero checks, SB bets $3, Hero raises to $10, SB calls $7

Turn: ($26) 9 (2 players)
      Hero bets $17, SB folds
    • cowboykoen
      cowboykoen
      Bronze
      Hand 4: Same gu as the first hand but i didnt knew he was that much of a spewtard in this time of the match. I did see he was more agressivly then average so i decided to call him down, R was a bad card and he made it so big that i folded. Most agro fishes only bluf draws 2 times as well. Dont know if a flopraise is better, because his donk does look like air/draw/weak pair, but if he 3bets i dont know if we should stack off because he wouldnt do that with a gutshot or something imo, neither a worse pair, only a FD and things that beat us i guess.

BB: $81.10 (81.1 bb)
      Hero (SB): $121 (121 bb)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 3 K
      Hero raises to $3, BB calls $2

Flop: ($6) K 9 Q (2 players)
      BB bets $3, Hero calls $3

Turn: ($12) 5 (2 players)
      BB bets $11, Hero calls $11

River: ($34) T (2 players)
      BB bets $42, Hero folds
    • LetsGambleBaby
      LetsGambleBaby
      Global
      GL :D
    • 3BetMe4Free
      3BetMe4Free
      Gold
      Goodluck!
    • Farmarchist
      Farmarchist
      Bronze
      Following! =)
    • yoshiwa
      yoshiwa
      Bronze
      hand 1: its always difficult to get a feel for how your opponent is going to react to diff 3betsizings if you have no extended history/dynamics of 3betting. Opp 1 will think smaller is stronger , opp 2 will think small==better odds to bluf , so weaker.
      This is imo one of the points where only you , in the feel of the game , can decide what option works best.

On the flop vs this guy its pretty clear the move u make is best.
      Vs a less unbalanced guy the obvious move would be still to check , since he barely can have any draw , Ax will prob bet , blufs can bet , etc...
      Problem is he can decide he only has 2 streets of value at max with Ax anyhow so ch back flop (and then you have to bet turn coz too dangerous to recieve another checkback)
      Also , this board is an ideal board for cbetting ure 3betrange , so if i were him i'd be very suspicious if you check.

If he checks back the turn , you shove the river ureself i assume?
    • yoshiwa
      yoshiwa
      Bronze
      hand 2:

yeh , can't image much in a 2barrel range u r still gonna beat , since the A hits his range very nice. Only hands you beat are broadway FD hands , who have a very nice bluffing spot on this turn , but like you say , then ure calling to fold any river (or ch back and see JJ)

More interesting imo , what if turn is an offsuited 5 ? I assume call turn , but then , what is our river play?
      imo:
      fold any club
      fold on A/Q/J/T
      raise 9/K
      call rest ?
    • cowboykoen
      cowboykoen
      Bronze
      Y then i shove R and agreed with the rest :)

2 more hands just played

Hand 5:

this kid was playing like 80-80 and 3betting 25% and didnt fold before to another 4bet so i thought it would be profitable to 4bet 88. On flops he is quit fit folding a lot and he has an af of 10. So i think ch/shove would have been the better move in stead of cbetting. But i didnt knew at that point that he was folding 82% at flop cbets and the board had some draws so i think a bet might have been fine too. He calls and donks T ai repping Jx a lot but since he did have that AF of 10 and he was betting a lot i decided to call, maybe he would play his draws like this or just something randomly stupid.. But i dont know if i should bend more to a fold.

Poker Stars, $0.50/$1 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 2 Players

Hero (SB): $68.83 (68.8 bb)
      BB: $43.10 (43.1 bb)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 8 8
      Hero raises to $3, BB raises to $5, Hero raises to $13, BB calls $8

Flop: ($26) K J 3 (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $12, BB calls $12

Turn: ($50) J (2 players)
      BB bets $18.10 and is all-in, Hero calls $18.10

River: ($86.20) 9 (2 players, 1 is all-in)

Hand 6:
      Same guy, 1 hand later after he lost. A good chance he was tilted since he had allready proven he is spewy, so i dont think i can fold to any turn, ofcourse this is a nice 1 but like a Kd i prob would have called too since his range is so wide and probably spewy

Poker Stars, $0.50/$1 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 2 Players

Hero (SB): $110.43 (110.4 bb)
      BB: $51 (51 bb)

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q T
      Hero raises to $3, BB raises to $5, Hero calls $2

Flop: ($10) A Q 9 (2 players)
      BB bets $15, Hero calls $15

Turn: ($40) T (2 players)
      BB bets $31 and is all-in, Hero calls $31

River: ($102) A (2 players, 1 is all-in)
    • yoshiwa
      yoshiwa
      Bronze
      hand 3:

wp , one of those spots where ure like basicly bluffing the best hand , since he won't be that stupid to call with worse but ure hand gets unplayable if you dont bluf

hand 4:
      3betting flop sounds kinda awful :P Even vs a maniac i would 3betgetitin since i expect to be either flipping or crushed:)

River he is totally polarising his range but like you say mostly they wont 3barrelbluf , and most of the time these small bet flop-larger turn-very large river are nutlike hands knowing you have a calldown hand which is pretty strong and trying to get max value.
    • yoshiwa
      yoshiwa
      Bronze
      hand 5:

with the 3bet-4bet sizes compared to the stacksizes i think 4betting gets you in very ugly spots since you are likely to play on a flop with 1/2 overs where you are cbetting and then folding if he ships while having rediculous odds to call.
      have you ever considered shoving over his 3bet? since a fold nets you 13bb , and i expect to be flipping against his calling range , while you have alot of FE vs his 3bettingrange.
      Consider he calls top 10% of his 3bettingrange , resulting in 60% FE.
      Against top 10% according to equilab you have 45% , against what i define as 10% you have 48% (55+,A9s+,KJs+,QJs,AJo+,KQo).
      The ev of a shove is thus 0.6*13-0.4*(43.10+0.48*86)=7$
      I expect the ev of a normal 4 bet to be lower , thus think of instashoving :)
    • yoshiwa
      yoshiwa
      Bronze
      and explain hand 6 if you call there a non-Tx? would always fold then (im a nit:( )
    • cowboykoen
      cowboykoen
      Bronze
      Originally posted by yoshiwa
      hand 5:

with the 3bet-4bet sizes compared to the stacksizes i think 4betting gets you in very ugly spots since you are likely to play on a flop with 1/2 overs where you are cbetting and then folding if he ships while having rediculous odds to call.
      have you ever considered shoving over his 3bet? since a fold nets you 13bb , and i expect to be flipping against his calling range , while you have alot of FE vs his 3bettingrange.
      Consider he calls top 10% of his 3bettingrange , resulting in 60% FE.
      Against top 10% according to equilab you have 45% , against what i define as 10% you have 48% (55+,A9s+,KJs+,QJs,AJo+,KQo).
      The ev of a shove is thus 0.6*13-0.4*(43.10+0.48*86)=7$
      I expect the ev of a normal 4 bet to be lower , thus think of instashoving :)
      yeah but i only win 8bb if he folds, not 13 ;)
      so the ev is then 2 bucks? guess a 4bet has a larger EV since he would call his entire 25% range and im sure a ch/shove would be best, he would bet his entire 25% allmost every time and i would do well against that i presume. If i cbet and he shoves im fkd :)
    • cowboykoen
      cowboykoen
      Bronze
      and explain hand 6 if you call there a non-Tx? would always fold then (im a nit:( )
      well the guy seemed tilted, barrels a lot, 3bets a lot, spews a lot :P he doesnt need anything to blow his stack away imo :)
      Ofc you can be wrong but oddwise i think its a clear call vs him

Oh yeah, and here is hand 7.

3 hand vs this dude. On ptr he is a big big station, 90 vpip BB/SB, folds like 25% on all streets and is very agressive as well.

So R is fmmmllll but i think shove is still the best option. This idiot might still call Kx, maybe Tx. ch/c would obv be worse, ch/f is maybe an option. But i have nu clue if he blufs Showdownvalue, good chance he does because he has 65% bet on river (donkbets, which also makes it more likely he doesnt have a flush, maybe a baby flush he could be capable of chasing an idiot draw :) ), this also makes it a bit more ok to ch/c.

vs a not so crazy guy i would ch/fold here all day

SB: $75.95 (76 bb)
      Hero (BB): $101.30 (101.3 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BB with T K
      SB completes, Hero raises to $5, SB calls $4

Flop: ($10) T K 4 (2 players)
      Hero bets $8, SB calls $8

Turn: ($26) 5 (2 players)
      Hero bets $20, SB calls $20

River: ($66) Q (2 players)
      Hero bets $46, SB calls $42.95 and is all-in
    • cowboykoen
      cowboykoen
      Bronze
      hand 2:

yeh , can't image much in a 2barrel range u r still gonna beat , since the A hits his range very nice. Only hands you beat are broadway FD hands , who have a very nice bluffing spot on this turn , but like you say , then ure calling to fold any river (or ch back and see JJ)

More interesting imo , what if turn is an offsuited 5 ? I assume call turn , but then , what is our river play?
      imo:
      fold any club
      fold on A/Q/J/T
      raise 9/K
      call rest ?
      Yeah probably call turn but i would be scratching my head at that point since he cbets low (40% or something i thought) on Turns, and R he allways bets 100%. So maybe i would still fold the turn because like a ofsuite 5, he wouldnt bluf that too much either i guess, and his value3bet range beats the crap out of us.... Yeahh.. thinking about it, a nitty fold on such a turn would probably be best vs this guy.
      Vs a more agro villian its hard to say what to do on which rivers, also depends on his barreling freq and stuff..