Creating data bases on elephant

• Gungunhana
      Gungunhana
      Bronze
      Hello,
      I have the same problem when trying to create databases. the message "unable to connect to127.0.0.1" appears .
      I tried to follow the uninstall procedure but from step 1 on, the folders I´m supposed to delete are not there.
      I´m using Windows Vista.
      Thanks for any help
  • 25 replies
    • ciRith
      ciRith
      Bronze
      Hi Gungunhana,

if the folders aren't there might it be possible that something went wrong with the postgres installation? You need to be logged in as administrator or grant the software to access all areas. (Vista is very restricted and often this is the problem.)

Another problem could be that postgres isn't started. You should see "postgres.exe" in your system monitor. (At WinXp you can see the by pressing Ctrl + Alt +Del at the same time.)

Which database name did you choose? Make sure that it isn't 'postgres' as this database is already created and used by postgres itself.

galam will drop by here later as well he might help you better with this. :)
    • Termi8r
      Termi8r
      Bronze
      Previous question:

"I have a laptop from work on which I play poker. I installed Elephant on it at home when I was not connected to the work's network. After connecting to the work's network I get the following error message:

"Database version has changed...have to create a new database..." and finally "Fail to establish connection..."

Uninstalling postgre and installing and reloading the databases into Elephant solves the problem, but it is a pain to do it every time! Did it twice now and I'm sure that it happens after connecting at work.

Is there a solution to this problem? "

I think that when I log onto the work's network it changes the user account created by the software in the MyDocuments folder and it maybe it is deleting some needed files?

Anyone having the same problem? Any fix available?
    • galam
      galam
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Gungunhana
      Hello,
      I have the same problem when trying to create databases. the message "unable to connect to127.0.0.1" appears .
      I tried to follow the uninstall procedure but from step 1 on, the folders I´m supposed to delete are not there.
      I´m using Windows Vista.
      Thanks for any help
      Well no problem just check if the other points are also not there. After that try reinstalling everything. If you got any further question ask here ;)
    • Gungunhana
      Gungunhana
      Bronze
      I´ve already tried that and ...no luck :( . Could it be , as ciRith pointed out the Windows Vista restrictions and if so how do I run as administrator?
      I cant find anything about postgre anywhere. Cant find any of the other points either.

I left the default name "elephantdb" as the database name . Is that ok?
    • Gungunhana
      Gungunhana
      Bronze
      Any suggestions?
    • Gungunhana
      Gungunhana
      Bronze
      Could I have an answer please?
    • galam
      galam
      Bronze
      I think its possible that your profile atwork overrides your home profile. So there is nothing we can do against that because we need to save some things within the dir. The only thing i could think of is creating a new account on that laptop just for pokering.

Greets Sebastian
    • Gungunhana
      Gungunhana
      Bronze
      Originally posted by galam
      I think its possible that your profile atwork overrides your home profile. So there is nothing we can do against that because we need to save some things within the dir. The only thing i could think of is creating a new account on that laptop just for pokering.

Greets Sebastian
      Hello Sebastian
      I had to reformat my HD so I took the opportunity and kept this computer only for poker.
      I installed Elephant 0.50 and the same message about server failure came up.
      I noticed though that although I joined the english community and downloaded Elephant from there, the Postgres installation messages, come up in portuguese, which is the lingo of my Windows Vista. Can this influence the problem?
      Thanks for your help
    • galam
      galam
      Bronze
      Please make sure that the postgreSQL-Server is running. For that purpose please go to the task manager and check for a postgres.exe. If it isn't running: start -> programs -> postgreSQL 8.3 -> start service. Please give me some feedback if that works.

Grees Sebastian
    • Gungunhana
      Gungunhana
      Bronze
      Sorry Sebastian but the problem is still there.
      I can´t find any Postgres files. I´ve gone through the procedure of showing hidden files but couldn´t find any Postgres files.
      I tried to "ping" 127.0.0.1 and it is working fine.
    • Dyange
      Dyange
      Bronze
      I had the same problem, just fixed it.

I installed PokerTracker, let that install Postgres for me. Then loaded up Elephant and when it asks to create database change the username from "elephant" to "postgres" and the password should be "dbpass".

Hope it works!
    • Gungunhana
      Gungunhana
      Bronze
      Sorry chaps to keep nagging but it still doesn´t work.

@ Sebastian What is very strange is that the postgres files don´t show up anywhere. Can this have anything to do with the firewall I´m using?

@Dyange- Tried your suggestion but unfortunately I keep receiving the message about server connection failure, although I can ping successfully 127.0.0.1. Anyway thanks for your help
    • bah22
      bah22
      Coach
      Coach
      @Dyange- Tried your suggestion but unfortunately I keep receiving the message about server connection failure, although I can ping successfully 127.0.0.1. Anyway thanks for your help

Of course you will be able to ping this address cause this is actually on your own PC. This is special IP address made for local loops. :)
      I had same problems and I did what dyange said and it worked. I think the problem is with the name...it should not be postrges i suppose.
    • Vucko018
      Vucko018
      Global
      That the same problem then I am have too like Gungunhana ...
    • Gungunhana
      Gungunhana
      Bronze
      I think I found the problem. Postgres 8.3 needs Vista service pack 1 installed.
      My Vista version is in portuguese and this pack is not available in portuguese, so I can´t install it :( . That´s why I can´t find any postgres files
      @Sebastian heeeeeeelp :)
    • Gungunhana
      Gungunhana
      Bronze
      elephant vs Gungunhana round 3

I managed to install Service Pack 1, installed postgres 8.3 through Pocker Tracker 3, and did as Dyange suggested. The PT3 DB is recognized at the Elephant settings window, but when I click "ok", it returns an error message saying
      "error criating data bases". So far 3x0 to elephant :( :(
    • Gungunhana
      Gungunhana
      Bronze
      This message appeared shotly after. I hope the development guys can make some sense out of it

.NET Runtime: 2.0.50727.1434
      RAM: 1GB
      Processors: 1
      CPU: x64 Family 6 Model 22 Stepping 1: 9/64/178, 1800

Software version: 0.52

(10) Log: 18:56:25.57 -- Logfile set: C:\Users\Administrador\AppData\Local\PokerStrategy\Elephant\log.txt
      (10) Log: 18:56:25.84 -- Logfile cleared: C:\Users\Administrador\AppData\Local\PokerStrategy\Elephant\log.txt
      (10) Log: 18:57:51.91 -- SELECT * FROM player ORDER BY player_ID ASC
      (10) Log: 18:57:51.98 -- , line 0: Npgsql.NpgsqlException:
      column "player_id" does not exist
      Severity: ERROR
      Code: 42703
    • xponentx
      xponentx
      Bronze
      Although I don't have Vista, i've had similar problems with my DB. I tried the PT3 route, but it just freezes when I click the magnifying glass. But yesterday I managed to fix it.

It got to the stage where i'd uninstalled PT3, Elephant, and Postgres.

So what I did, was I went to the Postgres website, downloaded Postgres 8.3.3 and installed. When you do that you can create a database, note down the details, then install Elephant and whack the details in.

It worked for me, give it a try and see if it does for you.
    • Gungunhana
      Gungunhana
      Bronze
      Hello xponentx,
      Tks for your help but I can´t open the zip packet from Posgres. Maybe it has something to do with this new Vista security gadgets but it turns back a message saying that the packet doens´t exist although, it has been downloaded and appears as a winrar file .

Anyway, I like would to make a suggestion to Poker Strategy´s support team.
      It is quite obvious that Elephant is facing a lot of installation problems (just look at the amount of posts about the same problem - Postgres installation). In spite of that we don´t have any structured support to help us. Lots of guys, very kindly try to help but I haven´t seen the PS support team coming forward and help us to install the software.